Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Tiger Direct

TD: LG (WH16NS40) Internal 16x Blu-ray Writer Black - $59.97 /w Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2014 3:29 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
for most people , disc media is a dead fish. My DVD-writter sitting there collecting dusts, it was used maybe once everyother year for some odd task. I see no point to upgrade to blueray unless you do video editing business, even that, people had already shifted to harddrive....
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If you're not interested in optical media, why waste your time and ours by reading and commenting? :facepalm:

Regardless, some people don't like to limit themselves to one type of storage. Myself, I use optical, HDD, and flash. So there!

For the same price, I would get the Pioneer over LG, based on Pioneer's reputation for their drives.
I usually order BD blanks from Newegg, when they're on special.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Curious does anyone use blu-ray for backups? Would you recommend it or no?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2008
1575 posts
1616 upvotes
Ontario
I use blu ray for back ups. I store all my media on an external HDD and back everything up on blu rays. That way not relying on only one source especially when you consider all digital videos and pics of children's childhood.
Jan 2, 2012
700 posts
199 upvotes
SASKATOON
I don't use Blu Ray for anything. Just seems I should update from my decade old optical drive.
Sep 20, 2008
908 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
Just FYI, for people who are buying a blu-ray drive for the computer the first time, YOU NEED SOFTWARE TO PLAY BLU-RAY discs! The software that is included with the drives are usually for TRIAL only, which sucks...

Also, in terms of optical media, I use it to backup my hard drives for stuff I care about (family movies, photos, etc).
Banned
Nov 27, 2012
822 posts
183 upvotes
VANCOUVER
grantz wrote: Our work (Federal Gov) paid 15k for a .5x CD burner in '97. Blanks were $70 each at Costco, and 2 out of 3 would fail..

This feels like a Monty Python skit.
I paid less than $300.00 for a Panasonic 4x in january 1998. I think it was SCSI. I switched to a Yamaha 8x (last one they made ?) in 1999 for about the same price(probably less, $260.00 but I cant find it on my xls file).

And blanks were certainly not $70.00 each. More around $2.00 to $5.00 each. (Kodak Gold, I still have some of them)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
PC based setup is the easiest way to get on all the mismatching region BR deals from Amazon UK.
And at that price you paying roughly $20 more for the backup capability compared to the average sale prices of BR reader.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3104 posts
1726 upvotes
Canada
Lobster2 wrote: I paid less than $300.00 for a Panasonic 4x in january 1998. I think it was SCSI. I switched to a Yamaha 8x (last one they made ?) in 1999 for about the same price(probably less, $260.00 but I cant find it on my xls file).

And blanks were certainly not $70.00 each. More around $2.00 to $5.00 each. (Kodak Gold, I still have some of them)
Might have been '96, I forget now. And don't forget, these were the Feds, overpaying for everything. Maybe the spool of 10 was $70, something like that!
May 6, 2006
781 posts
264 upvotes
ciao wrote: Don't go there, I paid $600 for a 19" Samsung CRT monitor!
Oh yeah? Well I paid $1099 for a 17" Samsung LCD monitor.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca

Used to buy these 10-packs for $20 on special, around 1997. Made by TY.
Still have about eight discs left in my CD-R museum :D .
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1002 posts
251 upvotes
Ottawa
CastIronStove wrote: Oh yeah? Well I paid $1099 for a 17" Samsung LCD monitor.
Oh yeah? There were 150 of us living in a shoe box in the middle of the road.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, On
pulsedragon20 wrote: Just FYI, for people who are buying a blu-ray drive for the computer the first time, YOU NEED SOFTWARE TO PLAY BLU-RAY discs! The software that is included with the drives are usually for TRIAL only, which sucks...

Also, in terms of optical media, I use it to backup my hard drives for stuff I care about (family movies, photos, etc).
The dye of most recordable media is prone to fail, just try to read those cdr you burned in 2000 see how many files are corrupted. The best way to backup stuff coat effectivly is still hdd, the disc itself is impossible to fail, the mechanic may fail often but most hdd repair shop can still read your stuff out. Moreover i usually backup with 3 identical hdd for redundancy, the fail rate is p^3
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2003
2050 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: PC based setup is the easiest way to get on all the mismatching region BR deals from Amazon UK.
And at that price you paying roughly $20 more for the backup capability compared to the average sale prices of BR reader.
Does this drive play br from other regions? I thought they would be locked to a specific one..
Jan 2, 2010
610 posts
394 upvotes
Is there any place I can find a blu-ray reader? I don't really need to burn any blu-ray disc. Just need a reader so that I can rip my blu-ray movie/tv shows so that I don't have to change disc all the time...
Sep 20, 2008
908 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
jian1 wrote: The dye of most recordable media is prone to fail, just try to read those cdr you burned in 2000 see how many files are corrupted. The best way to backup stuff coat effectivly is still hdd, the disc itself is impossible to fail, the mechanic may fail often but most hdd repair shop can still read your stuff out. Moreover i usually backup with 3 identical hdd for redundancy, the fail rate is p^3
I actually still have CDRs that are burned in 2000 that still work :D With that being said, I do back backup my hard drives on other hard drives. I backup with 2 identical hard drives (per one main drive) and optical as well just in case (yes I sound paranoid)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)