Automotive

TD MyAdvantage app

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2024 11:09 am
Tags:
Jan 5, 2021
29 posts
33 upvotes
When they say we need to drive for 120 days, do they mean that we need to have taken the car out and made trips in 120 days out of 365 days? or do they mean that we should have driven at least 1000 km in a period of 120 days? I ask because I usually drive only on the weekends and there will be some weekends when I don't even drive. So in a year I might drive less than a 100 days. But I will average about 2500 km in a year. so will they consider that I drove 2500 km in 365 days for their calculations? or will they sum up only the individual days in which I actually took out and drove the car and if I did not take out the car for 120 days, disqualify me from the program?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7088 upvotes
West GTEH!
plymouthhater wrote: I subscribed to the Personal Adjusto programme a few years ago. It started out as a module plugged into the OBD2 port in my vehicle and migrated to a smartphone app.
After a year - no more tracking - driving behaviour established. Discount (14%) on going for as long as I am a policy holder with the Personal Ins or until the program ends.
I no longer have the APP installed on my phone.
Would I do it all over again.
Yup.
I was with The Personal and was thinking about signing up for Adjusto program.
But my Annual premiums kept on increasing every year, So I decided to look around and landed with CAA Insurance.
Premiums were lower, apple to apple comparison.
And now after 1 year with CAA, I decided to sign up for their MyPace program where premiums are based on mileage usage. It is a base rate + $xx.xx/1,000KM premium.
Will see how this goes.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
Has anyone having issues with Binding TDMyAdvantage app discounts during renewal ?

Endless calls with TD and None of the agents were able to figure out this and we tried three emails .. ongoing issue with my account sadly ..
May 3, 2003
917 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
HammerJoe wrote: Never trust a bank.
They are not looking after your best interests they are looking for ways to extort more money from you.
It's also in their best interests to retain safe drivers by offering competitive rates to them.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my data for a modest savings. However, if enough people enroll in these things, it will be interesting to see what happens to those who opt out. You end up grouped with a lot of dangerous/reckless/aggressive drivers.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2018
1217 posts
2641 upvotes
I signed up for this at renewal earlier this month for 5%. Haven’t got my activation code in email yet, was going to put this on a separate phone I can turn off when I don’t want to be recorded. Read a little of this thread the speeding thing is stupid, I always go 10-15 over. If I don’t use the app, will they ding back the 5% at renewal?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17376 upvotes
Markham
stevepoint wrote: I signed up for this at renewal earlier this month for 5%. Haven’t got my activation code in email yet, was going to put this on a separate phone I can turn off when I don’t want to be recorded. Read a little of this thread the speeding thing is stupid, I always go 10-15 over. If I don’t use the app, will they ding back the 5% at renewal?
I've been using the app for years and for the most part it works OK for me. Speeding 10-15 over is not a problem in general. If the app spits out a crazy low score [cornering, acceleration, braking etc] I just delete it as an error which I know it is. You don't need a separate phone.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 26, 2018
315 posts
73 upvotes
Tech2020 wrote: When they say we need to drive for 120 days, do they mean that we need to have taken the car out and made trips in 120 days out of 365 days? or do they mean that we should have driven at least 1000 km in a period of 120 days? I ask because I usually drive only on the weekends and there will be some weekends when I don't even drive. So in a year I might drive less than a 100 days. But I will average about 2500 km in a year. so will they consider that I drove 2500 km in 365 days for their calculations? or will they sum up only the individual days in which I actually took out and drove the car and if I did not take out the car for 120 days, disqualify me from the program?
Hi, I plan to switch to TD insurance with the app to get lower premium. I have the same question. I only drive 1-2 per week. Did TD apply a good discount in renew policy?
Thanks in advance.
Jan 5, 2021
29 posts
33 upvotes
ericW123 wrote: Hi, I plan to switch to TD insurance with the app to get lower premium. I have the same question. I only drive 1-2 per week. Did TD apply a good discount in renew policy?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I switched from TD before I completed the year so not very sure about it. but from I understood after talking to customer care, you do have to drive the car 120 days so 1-2 days per week may not be enough
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2003
3055 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a joke, the app shows a projected 18% discount, but when I received the renewal, I am barely saving 5%, it went from $960 to $913.

I asked if I could remove myself from the program, and they told me that my premium would increase to $1050 if I was to request opt out from the program.

Now I am stuck with this stupid app that barely saves me any money.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2019
1262 posts
1248 upvotes
dux wrote: This is a joke, the app shows a projected 18% discount, but when I received the renewal, I am barely saving 5%, it went from $960 to $913.

I asked if I could remove myself from the program, and they told me that my premium would increase to $1050 if I was to request opt out from the program.

What was their reasoning? Did you argue over the 18% discount?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2003
3055 posts
1185 upvotes
Ottawa
darkhorz1 wrote:
What was their reasoning? Did you argue over the 18% discount?
They told me my premium went up because of high insurance claims in my area, if I didn't get the discount my premium would had gone up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
dux wrote: This is a joke, the app shows a projected 18% discount, but when I received the renewal, I am barely saving 5%, it went from $960 to $913.

Yikes, that sucks. TD is always trying to get me to start using this app for potential savings and there's simply no way I'm going to do that. I'm not an aggressive driver by any means, but I just don't think it's worth being tracked to save a couple of hundred bucks a year.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
PSA, we just saved about $1K on ou insurance by fighting with TD ove this app and the discount we were supposed to get...they certainly don't seem in a hurry to offer this up to just anybody
Mar 11, 2004
758 posts
83 upvotes
dux wrote: They told me my premium went up because of high insurance claims in my area, if I didn't get the discount my premium would had gone up.
I know the feeling. I qualified for 21% discount except my premium went UP (same BS reason about increased claims in my neighbourhood). I ditched them for Allstate and have now switched to CAA (Saved $500 here!)
Oct 12, 2022
1 posts
2 upvotes
We signed up for TD insurance and the TD my advantage app. We got an email saying we had to sign up for the app within a certain amount of time. We did that and we each drove over 1000km in 120 days and we even kept the app on longer than the 1000km and 120 days to be sure we met the requirements. We each scored 13-15% discounts.

Then we deleted the app since we met the requirements. Now we are getting auto generated emails from TD saying that we need the app installed in order to get the discounts for renewal. So do the 120 days have to be at the start of the policy year or at the end of the policy year? We don't want to do the 120 days again since it was a pain and we also don't want to have the app installed for the entire year.

Do any long time users know how it actually works? We are quite confused and don't want to spend hours waiting on the phone trying to get answers from TD.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Jesterzon wrote: We signed up for TD insurance and the TD my advantage app. We got an email saying we had to sign up for the app within a certain amount of time. We did that and we each drove over 1000km in 120 days and we even kept the app on longer than the 1000km and 120 days to be sure we met the requirements. We each scored 13-15% discounts.

Then we deleted the app since we met the requirements. Now we are getting auto generated emails from TD saying that we need the app installed in order to get the discounts for renewal. So do the 120 days have to be at the start of the policy year or at the end of the policy year? We don't want to do the 120 days again since it was a pain and we also don't want to have the app installed for the entire year.

Do any long time users know how it actually works? We are quite confused and don't want to spend hours waiting on the phone trying to get answers from TD.
At one point for me the app stopped working and they had no record of what ratings were...we had to reinstall it and continually use it in order for an accurate rating to be given. Even doing this we had to fight for the discount, lol
Jun 12, 2020
481 posts
293 upvotes
I am planning to sign up to get at least 10% for the first year. I have been 'testing' the app on my rooted android phone in work profile for the past few weeks, no real permissions given to the app (no IMEI, no phone model, no network info, no sensor no activity info etc) except the location service with the help of xposed modules. I disable location permission and set battery to restricted when I am home.
Got a lot of 90s for the first few days in downtown commutes but it collapsed as soon as I drove highway, constantly speeding (10-15 above the limit) and cornering (mostly on highway exit ramps). My total kms is sitting at 1100km and my projected discount is 0%.....So I went to my trip history and 'marked' some of the low scoring trips as 'passenger' or 'taxi'. Now I am having 20% again but my total is at 300km. I think I will continue to 'delete' all trips below 80 but not sure if it would come back to haunt me in the future, like annual kms recorded is around 1000km (which meets the program's requirement) but we all know it is not true, they might view it as insurance fraud???
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I received an email from noreply@tdmyadvantage.com with subject "Are you still using the TD MyAdvantage App?" and no body text. I went to www.tdmyadvantage.com and it redirected to https://www.tdinsurance.com/products-se ... -advantage

This seems spammy, but there is no body text, so no apparent attempt at phishing. Plus the email from domain redirects to a legit TD Insurance site.

Anybody else receive a similar message?
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Jun 11, 2022
124 posts
404 upvotes
Jesterzon wrote: We signed up for TD insurance and the TD my advantage app. We got an email saying we had to sign up for the app within a certain amount of time. We did that and we each drove over 1000km in 120 days and we even kept the app on longer than the 1000km and 120 days to be sure we met the requirements. We each scored 13-15% discounts.

I am wondering the exact same thing. My email even says they can claw back previous discounts - which, as some people have said above, ended making very little difference since my premiums also went up around the same time (HMMM INTERESTING). The wording of the email "If not, we'll unfortunately have to remove you from the TD MyAdvantage program, which regrettably includes reversing the discount you may have already received".

I was pretty sure the whole premise was "use it for at least X days and minimum X kilometres and you qualify for discount". They did not say you had to use it for the rest of time in order to maintain the discount. Absolutely NO ONE would get this app if that was the case.
Mar 11, 2004
758 posts
83 upvotes
dehmolition wrote: I am wondering the exact same thing. My email even says they can claw back previous discounts - which, as some people have said above, ended making very little difference since my premiums also went up around the same time (HMMM INTERESTING). The wording of the email "If not, we'll unfortunately have to remove you from the TD MyAdvantage program, which regrettably includes reversing the discount you may have already received".

I was pretty sure the whole premise was "use it for at least X days and minimum X kilometres and you qualify for discount". They did not say you had to use it for the rest of time in order to maintain the discount. Absolutely NO ONE would get this app if that was the case.
I had a 21% projected discount and TD didn't apply it. They not only didn't honour it, they increased my premium. Their rationale was that my car model in my neighbourhood had a higher than average claims rate. I haven't had a claim or ticket in over 20 years. I switched to AllState and now to CAA. CAA gave me a really good rate although I haven't had any experience with a claim with them (and hope I don't!).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)