• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2013 6:46 pm
[OP]
Feb 29, 2008
57 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga

TD Rebranding?

I searched for a TD thread but couldn't find one specifically about this. If there is and it needs to be merged, that's fine.

Anyway, they relocated the nearby TD branch recently. What I noticed was that in the hoarding for the new branch building, there was no mention of TD Canada Trust, just TD. When the new branch opened, again no mention of Canada Trust on the building (at least, not from the 3 sides of the building I've seen, which were the sides and back, not the front).

Furthermore, the signage on the plaza sign that used to say TD Canada Trust, they didn't change, but it looks like they simply blacked out the Canada Trust part with black duct tape.

Walking around downtown today I noticed all the ads in the windows of the TD branches just show "TD", no Canada Trust written on them.

So basically, I'm wondering if the time has come that TD is officially dropping the TD Canada Trust name. It doesn't appear they'll be going with TD Bank though, just TD.
24 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
So basically just like it was in the 1990s, prior to the acquisition of Canada Trust from Imasco.

I know, for my local branch, there was a physical Canada Trust branch a stone throw's away. So when the deal went through, they closed down the Canada Trust location.

Since old people put most of the money that's in Canada's banks, into the banks, don't underestimate the sort of loyalty and the power of exploiting such loyalty.

As for TD, there are a number of different legal entities that make up services that are provided out of TD branded branches.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7818 posts
4800 upvotes
Is this the Mississauga branch on Britannia and credit view? The new branch that has this futuristic look to it ?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1353 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Yes they are moving everything to just TD. This is why they slowly getting rid of Waterhouse branding.
[OP]
Feb 29, 2008
57 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
Sanyo wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 7:07 pm
Is this the Mississauga branch on Britannia and credit view? The new branch that has this futuristic look to it ?
Yes the location at Creditview and Britannia.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1984 posts
144 upvotes
It is well known from day one they are going to do that someday.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8202 posts
1105 upvotes
A few years ago TD's marketing set out on a goal to emphasize the power of the green shield. It wouldn't surprise me if they're now doing away with the CT name. It served its purpose for 12 years, to remind old people that they're still banking at their old CT branch, with some of their old CT staff; most of them still referred to their bank as just "Canada Trust". Now many have died off and the staff has completely changed. TD is probably confident that their brand is strong enough and CT is forgotten enough.

Edit: I just looked at my access card and noticed that it doesn't say "Canada Trust" anywhere on it, except for the web address on the back.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11371 posts
1608 upvotes
Mississauga
Sanyo wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 7:07 pm
I went to this branch on the weekend. It looks nice and eco-friendly on the inside but the outside is hideous. What is with all the metal "fins" on the walls?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19035 posts
1492 upvotes
While I would not be surprised if they dropped the "Canada Trust" from major branding, I would be very surprised if they dropped it altogether, because it would cause a lot of confusion for cross-border banking customers like myself. There is a big difference between "TD Canada Trust" (AKA TDCT) and "TD Bank", which is what they call their US bank. You need to be able to differentiate these in a number of situations, for example cross-border wire transfers, or even just the simple act of installing both apps on your mobile phone. It's already hard enough to tell the two mobile apps apart, I don't want them even MORE simmilar.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
Thalo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 1:29 am
A few years ago TD's marketing set out on a goal to emphasize the power of the green shield. It wouldn't surprise me if they're now doing away with the CT name. It served its purpose for 12 years, to remind old people that they're still banking at their old CT branch, with some of their old CT staff; most of them still referred to their bank as just "Canada Trust". Now many have died off and the staff has completely changed. TD is probably confident that their brand is strong enough and CT is forgotten enough.
Yes, I'm among those old people that died off.

TD learned a lot from Canada Trust and had adopted a lot of their customer services practices. They know that's how they can be successful. Those old people that died, still remembered that.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3407 posts
623 upvotes
I noticed the same thing at the TD Branch on Elgin St. in Ottawa that recently had the signage replaced. No more "Canada Trust".
Nov 4, 2013
23 posts
1 upvote
brunes wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 12:17 pm
While I would not be surprised if they dropped the "Canada Trust" from major branding, I would be very surprised if they dropped it altogether, because it would cause a lot of confusion for cross-border banking customers like myself. There is a big difference between "TD Canada Trust" (AKA TDCT) and "TD Bank", which is what they call their US bank. You need to be able to differentiate these in a number of situations, for example cross-border wire transfers, or even just the simple act of installing both apps on your mobile phone. It's already hard enough to tell the two mobile apps apart, I don't want them even MORE simmilar.
Wouldn't it be nice if it's just TD Canada, TD USA, etc?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19035 posts
1492 upvotes
dav1dz wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 1:40 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if it's just TD Canada, TD USA, etc?
If they do that, sure... but TD in the USA is not "TD USA", it is "TD Bank". And they would never, in a million years, brand it as "TD USA" in the US, it is just bad marketing. It's the same reason you will never see the word "Toronto" spelled out anywhere in the USA, the official legal name of the company down there is "TD Bank N.A.", it is not "Toronto-Dominion Bank" like it is here.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7818 posts
4800 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 5th, 2013 1:42 am
I went to this branch on the weekend. It looks nice and eco-friendly on the inside but the outside is hideous. What is with all the metal "fins" on the walls?
Yeah it definitely has a futuristic look to it, with the glare and the weird looking fins like you said outside almost like an alien spaceship lol -- definitely is unique looking and out of place...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7818 posts
4800 upvotes
They are basically doing what other major backs like HSBC do and keep the brand consistent. Good move. I reckon their overall goal will be to expand to the western United States within the next 5-10 years to become a true North American bank.