[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1669 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto

TD Visa - Refund isn't a complete one?

Hey all,

I bought some car parts off a vendor from the states using my TD Green Visa last week for $693, and it turns out that they were on backorder for three weeks. The vendor gave me an option of either getting a refund, or waiting it out - to which I opted for a full refund.

Just yesterday, I noticed that the refund only totaled to $655 - and I'm short approximately $40. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the currency conversion that Visa does, which is 2.5% as a processing fee.

Can I do anything in this situation?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19047 posts
1504 upvotes
mmmken wrote:
May 16th, 2008 6:08 pm
Hey all,

I bought some car parts off a vendor from the states using my TD Green Visa last week for $693, and it turns out that they were on backorder for three weeks. The vendor gave me an option of either getting a refund, or waiting it out - to which I opted for a full refund.

Just yesterday, I noticed that the refund only totaled to $655 - and I'm short approximately $40. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the currency conversion that Visa does, which is 2.5% as a processing fee.

Can I do anything in this situation?
Sort answer - nope.

Long answer - You get charged 2.5% each way - for the initial purchase and subsequent refund. There isn't a whole lot to do since it is outlined clearly in your agreement they will do this. if you call the bank and complain loud enough, they may be inclined to revert the charges to keep your business - but don't count on it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22632 posts
4456 upvotes
Waterloo
One time I put USD on my AMEX
then refunded it later (forgot how long), and actually got more than I paid

not sure how it worked or if they refunded the 2.x% fee as well....
but it is true, you don't get back EXACTLY what you paid for
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1669 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the help. I did call TD Visa this evening, and the representative told me that it was not reversible as it was a merchant fee or something. I told him that it was unfair and that my Citi Gold Mastercard always has refunded me in full (for USD purchases as well).

He put me on hold for a bit and came back telling me that I would be refunded in full. :cheesygri