• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 3:55 pm
[OP]
May 20, 2012
75 posts
16 upvotes
TORONTO

Tea drinkers- what are your health benefit claims

Been researching the new Purple Tea developed by the Tea Research Institute in Kenya-being a country that produces a lot of world tea. Tea generally is not touted as a health supplement bu this particular variety has more health benefits due to it's high levels of anti-oxidants. Can anyone really claim drinking tea has produced noticeable improvement to their health? Just to add, the purple color is due to the presence of high levels of anthocyanin anti-oxidants similar to blueberries, grapes, blackberries etc.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9169 posts
3583 upvotes
Toronto
Everything taken in great loads will not be good for you.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 12, 2014
681 posts
290 upvotes
Markham, ON
If chasing anti-oxidants, eating more fruits and vegetables are all that's needed. No need to supplement with tea.

If trying to lose weight, try only drinking Dieters Tea. Definitely will keel over from hunger but will be skinny.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1875 posts
690 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Its health benefit comes from the fact you are not drinking pop or other sugary drinks.

Also it's hot and tastes good.
:D
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2019 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto

well rooibos is said to have a very high level of antioxidants but when it comes to any health stuff, it's always best to do the research yourself by looking into the actual studies as opposed to interpretations.
A lot of stuff is sold without a lick of science to back it up or a lot of half truths. There are people that live long lives without having to get into this. So live by the food pyramid, live a life that's stress free and just enjoy life.
Lastly, enjoy tea since it's quite delicious as it is. Rooibos, black or otherwise.
That's not a knife!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
I like the taste of (green) tea but I'm not 100 percent convinced of its health benefits. If you're going to drink for health benefits don't start drinking 8 cups of tea every day. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes It's a good alternative when you're getting bored with sipping water all day every day.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11743 posts
1682 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 8:22 am
I like the taste of (green) tea but I'm not 100 percent convinced of its health benefits. If you're going to drink for health benefits don't start drinking 8 cups of tea every day. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes It's a good alternative when you're getting bored with sipping water all day every day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea

...Although numerous claims have been made for the health benefits of green tea, human clinical research has not provided conclusive evidence of any effects. In 2011, a panel of scientists published a report on the claims for health effects at the request of the European Commission: in general they found that the claims made for green tea were not supported by sufficient scientific evidence. Although the mean content of flavonoids and catechins in a cup of green tea is higher than that in the same volume of other food and drink items that are traditionally considered to promote health, flavonoids and catechins have no proven biological effect in humans...

...Daily consumption of black tea (but not green tea) has been associated with a significant reduction in death from all cancers...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2434 posts
736 upvotes
drink it because it's cheaper than drink mix and it's zero calories, gives flavour to plain water
no other reason
Lipton green tea, 100 bags for $6 at Walmart,
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 10:05 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea

...Although numerous claims have been made for the health benefits of green tea, human clinical research has not provided conclusive evidence of any effects. In 2011, a panel of scientists published a report on the claims for health effects at the request of the European Commission: in general they found that the claims made for green tea were not supported by sufficient scientific evidence. Although the mean content of flavonoids and catechins in a cup of green tea is higher than that in the same volume of other food and drink items that are traditionally considered to promote health, flavonoids and catechins have no proven biological effect in humans...

...Daily consumption of black tea (but not green tea) has been associated with a significant reduction in death from all cancers...
cool more green tea for for me Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

i need to buy higher quality green tea as the one i buy now is pretty generic
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1471 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga
I have been drinking tea all my life. Red Rose or the like, 50 years plus. Not everything has to be healthy. I simply like pleasures in life. Tea being one of them, with a Peek Freens biscuit, of course.
However, I am healthy. Not because of tea. Due to a healthy life style.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2347 posts
310 upvotes
Burlington
Hard to describe in isolation. I mean if you drink a 24 and smoke 5 packs a week, tea ain't going to help.
I'm hooked on Japanese green tea, but again, not in isolation. Low sugar/medium carb intake as well. Switched from coffee to decrease my caffeine intake. Now just got to start working out :)
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6104 posts
1323 upvotes
What is this magical purple Kenyan tea? Is it some purple variant of rooibos? I'd try it if the price was right.

I don't really drink tea for "health reasons"; I just treat it like flavored hot drinks. I often forget to drink plain water by itself.

Rooibos or tisanes (ginger, chamomile, fennel, etc.) are helpful for the evening when I'm keen to avoid caffeine.