Food & Drink

Tea drinkers- what are your health benefit claims

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 3:55 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3442 posts
1238 upvotes
I don't know if I'll achieve any health benefits with it, but I've been drinking one cup a day of hot Sencha tea from Japan for several years now. Nothing fancy. I just get the box of 50 teabags I can get from some Asian supermarkets. I just like the subtle flavour of green tea with breakfast in the morning.

Recently I've been adding maybe a quarter teaspoon or so of Matcha green tea powder to a glass of cool water. I find it to be quite refreshing. Usually a glass per day.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16990 posts
407 upvotes
Don't make any,I drink about a liter of Earl Grey every morning.

I drink less pop though as a result, that's gotta be a plus right?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:39 pm
Don't make any,I drink about a liter of Earl Grey every morning.

I drink less pop though as a result, that's gotta be a plus right?
That's a super plus.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38655 posts
3291 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Like all things "healthy" , it is just merely one piece of the bigger picture.

You can't just have 1 glass of wine a day and be healthy.
or drink tea
or even working out!

Its the bigger picture of overall health and well being. You drink the tea because its refreshing, warm, and soothing... The anti oxidants help.
You work out for the muscles/physical health... But it is suppose to be a fulfilling goal.
Eating well, drinking well, sleeping well, and also mental health!

So yes... Drink that tea. But it isn't going to change everything... The change is with in you!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11743 posts
1682 upvotes
City of Vancouver
imothum wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 12:47 pm
...Can anyone really claim drinking tea has produced noticeable improvement to their health? Just to add, the purple color is due to the presence of high levels of anthocyanin anti-oxidants similar to blueberries, grapes, blackberries etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin
"...There is no high-quality evidence anthocyanins have any effect on human biology or diseases..."
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11743 posts
1682 upvotes
City of Vancouver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphenol
"...There are no recommended Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) levels established for polyphenols.

The diverse structures and uncertain metabolic fate of phenolic compounds following digestion prevent understanding about their potential health effects. Specifically, because the presumed antioxidant role of polyphenols in vivo cannot be established, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued labeling guidance to manufacturers that polyphenols cannot be mentioned as antioxidant nutrients unless physiological evidence exists to verify such a qualification and a DRI value has been established. Further, because purported health claims for specific polyphenol-enriched foods remain unproven, health statements about polyphenols on product labels are prohibited by the FDA.

Compared with the effects of polyphenols in vitro, the possible functions in vivo remain unknown due to 1) the absence of validated in vivo biomarkers; 2) long-term studies failing to demonstrate effects with a mechanism of action, sensitivity and specificity or efficacy; and 3) invalid applications of high, unphysiological test concentrations in the in vitro studies, which are subsequently irrelevant for the design of in vivo experiments..."
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6562 posts
1277 upvotes
Does marshmallow tea really help coughing? Does it taste ok?

Also, what tea to drink to calm down nausea etc. from flu?