• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2015 2:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes

Tea Thread

I know we already have threads about where to get certain types of tea, but we don't have a thread about tea itself.

I wanted to make a thread about different types of teas you have tried, what you think of them, teas you are looking to try, tea recommendations etc.

poor quality pic, taken with iPhone

I am kind of a tea freak, This is just a small collection of the teas I have from David's and Teavana.

I have other stuff that I get my friends to buy when they go on trips to china, sri-lanka, japan etc.

On my list of things I want to try is this
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/yellow- ... yellow-tea
55 replies
Jan 11, 2014
202 posts
36 upvotes
Yamamotoyama Green Tea

Great taste, Available from Superstore, T&T

Jan 11, 2014
202 posts
36 upvotes
Yamamotoyama Green Tea with Roasted Brown Rice

Taste good with roasted brown rice. Available from Superstore, T&T, etc.

Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5461 posts
513 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I have never been a tea drinker. I grew up with tea being what old ladies drank. And they drank it with Carnation evaporated milk.

About a year ago I was at a relatives' house and they had a Breville tea maker. I was attracted to the gadget aspect. My wife enjoyed some tea. I bought her the tea maker for Christmas. Now we have lattes in the morning and tea in the evening.

We started with some loose tea from bulk barn. A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of suggesting she pick up some lapsang souchong for me and something for herself at Davids Teas. Now we are getting hooked on the David's teas. Sigh.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5440 posts
561 upvotes
Mississauga
My favourite Presidents Choice English Breakfast tea was discontinued a couple of years ago, and took my awhile to find a replacement. Now I really enjoy Typhoo tea because its nice and rich and strong, add a bit of sugar and a lot of milk.

From Teavana I like to blend their pineapple tea and blueberry tea together (sorry in the cupboard, will look up the exact names later) with honey to taste.

Green Tea, I usually just purchase an inexpensive kind from T&T. Add lemon and honey to it. I used to get the TenRen Green Tea, but found it kind of bitter.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 5, 2007
59 posts
8 upvotes
Also have the Breville tea maker, my wife and I use it daily.

Some of our favourite tea's are orange pekoe (traditional I know, but good when you buy good quality tea), organic yunnan(Chinese black tea), and Kenyan kembaa (another black tea). Chamomile in the evening is also amazing.

I buy all my tea from a small tea shop in London, The Tea Haus (www.theteahaus.com). Great service both in store and online, and free delivery if you order more than $50. Compared to places like David's Tea they are much cheaper, and I believe the quality is better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
pelikan wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 2:29 pm
Yamamotoyama Green Tea

Great taste, Available from Superstore, T&T
pelikan wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 2:31 pm
Yamamotoyama Green Tea with Roasted Brown Rice

Taste good with roasted brown rice. Available from Superstore, T&T, etc.
I have tried both of these teas before, in fact I probably have some of the roasted rice tea in the cupboard.
redgrandam wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 2:45 pm
You need to get some tea tins!
I have been struggling with whether or not to buy tins for a while, I usually finish tea so quickly that there is not much of a point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
bhouseski wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 3:11 pm

Some of our favourite tea's are orange pekoe (traditional I know, but good when you buy good quality tea), organic yunnan(Chinese black tea), and Kenyan kembaa (another black tea). Chamomile in the evening is also amazing.

I buy all my tea from a small tea shop in London, The Tea Haus (www.theteahaus.com). Great service both in store and online, and free delivery if you order more than $50. Compared to places like David's Tea they are much cheaper, and I believe the quality is better.
EDIT: LOL, I thought you meant London England.

I will give these guys a try
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
280 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Sakura Allure green tea from Teavana is pretty good. Going to buy some tins one day and get a whole variety of different loose leaf green teas. No more Tetly or Lipton 100 for $5 tea bags for me lol.
Apr 2, 2004
314 posts
20 upvotes
David's Tea offers a free tin if you buy 100g. Also if you bring the tin back for refilling, they give 10% off.

I shop at David's Tea, Herbal Infusions (online), Shanti Tea (online), Upton Tea (online). I will definitely have to check out The Tea Haus.

Teavana has a huge selection of teas but I'm not impressed with their quality.
May 12, 2005
663 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
Has anyone tried Kusmi tea? Anyone know where I can buy Kusmi tea in the GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5851 posts
504 upvotes
London
bhouseski wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 3:11 pm

I was just going to recommend The Tea Haus as well. Luckily I have the bonus to be able to visit the store regularly so I've never ordered online from them. They are great and their prices are phenomenal. Unfortunately I've gone caffeine free so sticking to Rooibos and Herbal ones. Comparing to David's tea there is some overlap, and where there is Tea Haus is usually like half the price. There are some I like better at David's tea, and there are some more unique Red teas there, but Tea Haus has a better selection of traditional tea variations and blends, even white tea is pretty cheap there compared to other stores.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5851 posts
504 upvotes
London
shadomoon wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 7:49 pm
David's Tea offers a free tin if you buy 100g. Also if you bring the tin back for refilling, they give 10% off.

I shop at David's Tea, Herbal Infusions (online), Shanti Tea (online), Upton Tea (online). I will definitely have to check out The Tea Haus.

Isn't it a flat 50 cents off at David's tea on the refills? Pretty sure it was last time I did that. But I don't refill often as we usually forget the tins. 10% would be a better deal, and make their prices more attractive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
shadomoon wrote:
Jan 19th, 2014 7:49 pm

I have bought up to 250g of some teas and have never gotten a free tin :(
× < >