Students

Teacher's College

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote

Teacher's College

I am interested in going to teachers college, and have been looking at the admissions requirements for York, Ottawa, Western and other Ontario schools. Most state that a minimum B average, or B in last 10 courses is required.
While I should be able to meet the requirements, I am wondering if anyone has been admitted to teachers college with lower marks. If anyone has any insight about this, it would be greatly appreciated. The more info, the better. Thanks.
45 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
don't forget about relevant teaching experiences

i know the u of t on its application asks for 3 relevant teachign experiences...if you have any research in education/development, or even better, experience in a classroom or working with the age group you want to teach, even better

but teachers college is really competitive..i think you can get in with a B+ if you have amazing Extra ciriculars (i.e. lots of them w/ lots of hours in each of them)

for instance, I volunteer in a kindergarten class for children with special needs, I've worked as a swimming instructor, and I have some reserach in child care...(teaching is my backup, I reallllly hope i can become a pediatrician)

in summary------make sure you have those extra ciriculars! teachers college is competitive, you need those to stand out of the crowd! but to answer your question...i have not heard of any stories of people getting in with a B- average (unless they went to Brock or Nippissing)

Good luck with your app!
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
Friend of mine got admitted to Nippissing with around a B/B- average this past year....however she had a HUGE amount of extra curricular work and volunteer activities under her belt (like a stupid amount of hours organizing and volunteering). She organized blood drives on numerous occasions for example and was very involved with her University during her undergrad.

So if you come up a bit short on the marks, be ready to supplement them with other criteria that will help your application.

I personally couldn't stand to be a teacher, but I hope you get in if it's really what you want to do.

Good Luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
shannn wrote: don't forget about relevant teaching experiences

i know the u of t on its application asks for 3 relevant teachign experiences...if you have any research in education/development, or even better, experience in a classroom or working with the age group you want to teach, even better

but teachers college is really competitive..i think you can get in with a B+ if you have amazing Extra ciriculars (i.e. lots of them w/ lots of hours in each of them)

for instance, I volunteer in a kindergarten class for children with special needs, I've worked as a swimming instructor, and I have some reserach in child care...(teaching is my backup, I reallllly hope i can become a pediatrician)

in summary------make sure you have those extra ciriculars! teachers college is competitive, you need those to stand out of the crowd! but to answer your question...i have not heard of any stories of people getting in with a B- average (unless they went to Brock or Nippissing)

Good luck with your app!
Well, I did participate in a peer helping program in high school (10 years ago) where I was the assigned peer helper for a specific class.
At my last job, I was a team leader, responsible for the training and development of a 4 member team....would that count for anything, or does it need to be strictly voluntary experience?

as for you comment about Brock or Nippissing, what is the lowest average you have heard of someone getting in?

thanks for your response

Octavius wrote: Friend of mine got admitted to Nippissing with around a B/B- average this past year....however she had a HUGE amount of extra curricular work and volunteer activities under her belt (like a stupid amount of hours organizing and volunteering). She organized blood drives on numerous occasions for example and was very involved with her University during her undergrad.

So if you come up a bit short on the marks, be ready to supplement them with other criteria that will help your application.

I personally couldn't stand to be a teacher, but I hope you get in if it's really what you want to do.

Good Luck.
It is not what I really want to do, but I am evaluating my post degree options. Truth be told, I don't think I would hate it, and would probably be okay with it so long as I have interest in what I am teaching.

thanks for your response too
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Teaching is everyone's backup these days. :rolleyes:
[Removed by the RFD Moderation Team]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
Hey there,

I think my cousin got into Trent or Windsor with a low 3 GPA (possibly even a high 2)...but he was billingual (French/English)

cheeseshredder wrote: Teaching is everyone's backup these days. :rolleyes:
Well, I used backup for the lack of a better term...I honestly would love to be a teacher (I really love working with kids), I guess you could sya being a teacher would be a profession I would love doing should I not get into the profession I've initially dreamed of all my life (medicine)
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
help_questions wrote: Well, I did participate in a peer helping program in high school (10 years ago) where I was the assigned peer helper for a specific class.
At my last job, I was a team leader, responsible for the training and development of a 4 member team....would that count for anything, or does it need to be strictly voluntary experience?

as for you comment about Brock or Nippissing, what is the lowest average you have heard of someone getting in?

thanks for your response

It is not what I really want to do, but I am evaluating my post degree options. Truth be told, I don't think I would hate it, and would probably be okay with it so long as I have interest in what I am teaching.

thanks for your response too
Well I recently just applied to teacher's college this year (the due date was nov 30, 2007). Anyways. it depends on what you want age group you want to teach as well. if you are focusing on older students such as juniour or highschool then you need 2 teachables. grade 6 and under, you dont.
Experience with children is a asset as there are sections of the application that will ask this and how it will help you or what has it taught you in relation to your career in teaching. There are also social equity and diveristy questions and some others, depending on the school you applied. It is very competitive i heard, i'm waiting to see if i got in. My grades aren't the greatest skipping a class dropped my GPA and now the highest GPA i can get (unless taking a lot more courses is a B+.

If you are a visible minority it may help as well.
May 15, 2007
539 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I applied to teacher's college this year as well. I'm hoping my stellar high school grades will be sufficient, since my university marks are average (B-B+). Got some really bad marks in those courses they make you take that I didn't want to take, but in my top 15 I'm above average.

I'm applying for a Bachelor of Education degree in Technological Education though (UofT, Western & Queens), so the majority of the applicants only have work experience and college training rather than a degree from university prior to studying. I'm hoping that since it's a field usually dominated by men that it'll give me a little more edge... ;)

I started volunteering in an actual ComTech class at my old high school, as well as listed my leadership roles in previous jobs as part of my application. The mini essay questions are important, so make sure you reflect on how each experience you had will benefit you as a teacher.

Only 2 1/2 more months 'til letters get mailed! :-0
I like to shop... and cook...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Psylocke wrote: I applied to teacher's college this year as well. I'm hoping my stellar high school grades will be sufficient, since my university marks are average (B-B+). Got some really bad marks in those courses they make you take that I didn't want to take, but in my top 15 I'm above average.

I'm applying for a Bachelor of Education degree in Technological Education though (UofT, Western & Queens), so the majority of the applicants only have work experience and college training rather than a degree from university prior to studying. I'm hoping that since it's a field usually dominated by men that it'll give me a little more edge... ;)

I started volunteering in an actual ComTech class at my old high school, as well as listed my leadership roles in previous jobs as part of my application. The mini essay questions are important, so make sure you reflect on how each experience you had will benefit you as a teacher.

Only 2 1/2 more months 'til letters get mailed! :-0
high school??? they didnt ask to send that in...
May 15, 2007
539 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
killoverme wrote: high school??? they didnt ask to send that in...
Oh, high school transcripts are only for Technological Studies applicants for the Bachelor of Education program, along with any other post-secondary transcripts and a letter from an employer (to vouch for your aptitude and skill in your chosen field). Fields include:
  • Communications
  • Construction
  • Hospitality Services
  • Manufacturing
  • Personal Services
  • Technological Design
  • Transportation
For the other three streams (Primary-Junior, Junior-Intermediate & Intermediate-Senior) they only require university transcripts.
I like to shop... and cook...
Dec 11, 2007
389 posts
44 upvotes
cheeseshredder wrote: Teaching is everyone's backup these days. :rolleyes:
As a recent teacher's college grad, I can say this is quite ... true :D

My class of 40 had about 10 parents who decided to enter for various reasons, one of which is a career change. The majority of the students were late 20's/early 30's who became disenchanted with whatever line of work they previously did, and wanted a career that was "more meaningful". Only a few of us were straight out of undergraduate.

But truthfully, there's few greater joys than being a teacher. It's one of the genuine altruistic professions in our society. Be prepared for long hours and little "worldly" recognition though! The recognition you'll get is from your students, and yourself.

Best of luck getting in!
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2005
2649 posts
48 upvotes
Bay Area
Octavius wrote: Those who can do, do. Those who cannot do, teach ;)
lol but teaching isn't an easy thing to do either. Understanding something is one thing, but teaching and having others understand it is a whole new level of knowledge.

Sometimes I feel like i learn more when I am teaching someone. As weird as it may sound
Apr 26, 2004
546 posts
71 upvotes
Cambridge
wheezee wrote: As a recent teacher's college grad, I can say this is quite ... true :D

My class of 40 had about 10 parents who decided to enter for various reasons, one of which is a career change. The majority of the students were late 20's/early 30's who became disenchanted with whatever line of work they previously did, and wanted a career that was "more meaningful". Only a few of us were straight out of undergraduate.

But truthfully, there's few greater joys than being a teacher. It's one of the genuine altruistic professions in our society. Be prepared for long hours and little "worldly" recognition though! The recognition you'll get is from your students, and yourself.

Best of luck getting in!
Can I ask you how difficult it was for you to find work as a teacher? Also, what grade level are you teaching?

I sort of fit into the group you mentioned above. A parent in my early thirties although this wouldn't be a career change for me. I had my kids just after finishing my undergrad degree and have been a stay-at-home parent ever since. Looking now to enter the workforce and I'd love to teach (I've been volunteering at my childrens' school) but I keep hearing horror stories about how difficult it is to find a teaching position.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
sdm242 wrote: Can I ask you how difficult it was for you to find work as a teacher? Also, what grade level are you teaching?

I sort of fit into the group you mentioned above. A parent in my early thirties although this wouldn't be a career change for me. I had my kids just after finishing my undergrad degree and have been a stay-at-home parent ever since. Looking now to enter the workforce and I'd love to teach (I've been volunteering at my childrens' school) but I keep hearing horror stories about how difficult it is to find a teaching position.
Several people i know just finished their degree at teacher's college. The problem is finding a permenant contract. There will be several supply jobs, my friends got LTO jobs and another got a supply job almost everyday. one is in the toronto region the other is in aurora. my other friends haven't gotten permenant positions yet and are also supplying regularly.

LTO (long term occassional) arent super hard to get i heard. but i guess it can be competitive. I heard once from a teacher that the interview with the board is important, but also getting in touch with principals and other teachers are great cause they can hire you as supplies or maybe an interview if their looking for permenant teachers.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
3160 posts
153 upvotes
Napanee
If you really want to teach and are worried, I'd recommend looking at a US school, more expensive and maybe not as good of reputation in Canada but much easier to get into.
My GamerTag: http://live.xbox.com/member/Corey31
Wins:
Be First to Play - XBOX 360
Win Every Hour - XBOX 360
Wiin The Key to Summer - Nintendo Wii
Score Every Hour - NHL 08
Tribute.ca - Lost Season 4 DVD
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
oh got 2 interviews, one with uoit and another with york, anyone been through these interviews? have any advice i'm going into primary/juniour.

The york one is coming up and more anxious for that one.
Sep 28, 2004
80 posts
D'Youville and Daemen in upstate New York are also alternatives and their curiculum is recognized by the Ministry of Education in Ontario. These are not "bad" schools but small private American schools that charge an insane amount of money to give you the BEd. equivalent.

I think the employment prospectives for certain subjects is more challenging than others. English and humanities majors may have more problems finding full-time permanent work than those with science (i.e., chem physics) or language backgrounds.
Dec 8, 2007
208 posts
andrew2good4u wrote: lol but teaching isn't an easy thing to do either. Understanding something is one thing, but teaching and having others understand it is a whole new level of knowledge.

Sometimes I feel like i learn more when I am teaching someone. As weird as it may sound
This is a quality of a good teacher. As of now I TA Math at UofT and I find that I do learn when I teach. Thank god I'll be finished my B.SC this semester :D