Students

Teacher's College

Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
As a current teacher and recent grad (around a year ago), here's my 2 cents.

Volunteer / work experience really does matter. No, being a peer tutor in high school likely won't help you all that much. They really look for current or recent experience volunteering or working with kids. Working at a summer camp, +. Volunteering at after school basketball, +.

For the interview, questions vary widely. I remember questions about experience working with kids, what I'd do with a problem student, what I would change about the school system, my background in the area for which I had applied, etc. Have confidence, as much knowledge about your current school system and curriculum as possible, and don't forget that you're applying to LEARN HOW TO TEACH KIDS. It all comes back to that.

I'm in BC, so my experience with getting work is likely very different than in ONT. I was hired to substitute teach almost immediately after graduation. I've been subbing for around 7 school months. Sometimes it's very part time, others it's closer to full time. Getting full time work in a major area is extremely difficult as everyone wants to live here (I was born here, want to die here, so am getting cranky with others moving here and having seniority over me). If you're willing to move to less than ideal locations, you can work right away, and this applies across the country.

Working as a substitute isn't for the faint of heart. You generally work at the whim of others, and get treated like garbage in most situations (remember what you did to subs, then multiply it by 10X). I have some sublime days, and quite a few where I seriously consider quitting. It takes heart to hold on for a full time position.

Your subject area does also matter - a person with Math, Science, and French would likely be employed within a few months. English or Social Studies... not so much.

Good luck!
Jun 25, 2007
402 posts
34 upvotes
Corizzle wrote: If you really want to teach and are worried, I'd recommend looking at a US school, more expensive and maybe not as good of reputation in Canada but much easier to get into.
The Ontario College of Teachers had a survey on new grad employment situation. It said American teachers college grads had a harder time getting employment than Ontario teachers college grads - sort of viewed as "second class" unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
cyrene wrote: The Ontario College of Teachers had a survey on new grad employment situation. It said American teachers college grads had a harder time getting employment than Ontario teachers college grads - sort of viewed as "second class" unfortunately.
theres a bad job market in toronto now =/ for teachers... well the TDSB anyways
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
killoverme wrote: theres a bad job market in toronto now =/ for teachers... well the TDSB anyways
Friend of mine did her undergrad at Queens and her B. Ed at U of T (intermediate/senior level). After frantic searching for jobs, she eventually threw in the towel and took up a job as a bartender.

She's now in the UK trying to "figure out her life". She's been there for something like 6 months now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Octavius wrote: Friend of mine did her undergrad at Queens and her B. Ed at U of T (intermediate/senior level). After frantic searching for jobs, she eventually threw in the towel and took up a job as a bartender.

She's now in the UK trying to "figure out her life". She's been there for something like 6 months now.
Sucks, no jobs in the UK? well i heard it isnt as good as "toronto" i guess, depends in the area too.

Yeah i'm going to teacher's college in the fall -_-.... and some of my friends are just graduating from TC
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
killoverme wrote: theres a bad job market in toronto now =/ for teachers... well the TDSB anyways
Well.....getting into the TDSB isn't that bad...I have 7 friends that found a full time position with the TDSB (4 primary, 2 intermediate, 1 high school) all within 1 year of graduating from teachers college.
What you have to do is go to each school personally and submit a resume...or try to build up as many connections through your placements as possible (and be a reallllllly good student teacher while you are there)

And knowing French helps too (principles don't even care if you don't have the credits, they'll hire you and then you just have to take the credits after, as long as you can speak and write)

They pretty much now have it made..so remember, as long as you put in the work and effort in teacher's college, it will pay off....and don't give up...I have one friend who gave up looking after 1 semester for a job with the TDSB...he never got anywhere and now he's doing something totally different...be persistent and you'll make it :cheesygri
He died for me, I live for him
May 15, 2007
539 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I've heard the job market is tough to get into... esp. for primary/junior grads. But it all depends on your teachables. I have a friend who just finished teacher's college at OISE, and she's already had interviews with YRDSB and TSDB. Her one of her teachables is French.

I'm entering teacher's college in the fall for their technological education program. Streams such as French and technology (even math and science) seem to be in high demand, so hopefully by the time I graduate there'll be some job opportunities for me.
I like to shop... and cook...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
shannn wrote: Well.....getting into the TDSB isn't that bad...I have 7 friends that found a full time position with the TDSB (4 primary, 2 intermediate, 1 high school) all within 1 year of graduating from teachers college.
What you have to do is go to each school personally and submit a resume...or try to build up as many connections through your placements as possible (and be a reallllllly good student teacher while you are there)

And knowing French helps too (principles don't even care if you don't have the credits, they'll hire you and then you just have to take the credits after, as long as you can speak and write)

They pretty much now have it made..so remember, as long as you put in the work and effort in teacher's college, it will pay off....and don't give up...I have one friend who gave up looking after 1 semester for a job with the TDSB...he never got anywhere and now he's doing something totally different...be persistent and you'll make it :cheesygri
problem is many teachers are getting surplused now though. lucky ur friends got a perm but they could get surplused (well if they havent now, they got another year) If they are over 2 years though they will have a less chance to get surplused mainly because of seniority. Its mainly this upcomming year i'm hearing its bad..
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1093 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Remember how many of us used to annoy teachers in elementary and middle school? How do you deal with the stress?

Does the pay differ with being an elementary, middle or high school teacher?
And by how much?
Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
Where I'm at, pay doesn't differ. What causes changes in pay are the amount of education you have and how long you've been teaching.

The stress... can be tough. I have one group that drive me off the wall (thankfully today was my last day with them)... they're rude, disrespectful, and generally unpleasant. And when I walked into work today and kids had been suspended for selling drugs at school... age range in the school is 10-14. And this is a decent country area.

Honestly, it's tough. Some days I'm 100% sure I'll never go back. Other days I love the kids so much that I never want to leave. I literally clapped my hands in delight as one of my kids today that had been a pain in the butt was helping others and forcing them to do their work. That feeling is just awesome. But then some of the lazy slacker kids dragged me back down... it was like pulling teeth to get one to write 3 sentences... "It's too much work, I can't do it, I don't want to, this is stupid..."

As a teacher, get used to the roller coaster.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
There WAS a shortage of teachers, but even the Ontario College of Teachers has said that is over.

http://www.oct.ca/media/news_releases/2 ... lang=en-CA

A couple friends of mine finished teachers' college in the late 90s and had no trouble finding a position. Someone I know finished last year and is working in another field while doing supply teaching and hopes to be able to get on full time soon. However, someone I know with qualifications to teach French had her pick of jobs. A number of schools wanted her as not as many people have those qualifications.

If you want to be able to find a position easier, these are the best subjects to able to teach:

French, physics, chemistry, math, business studies and technological education.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2009
1162 posts
763 upvotes
Anyone have a list of American schools offering a degree in Canada? Iheard there are several U.S schools with Canadian campuses offering teaching degrees.. Cant seem to find any websites with a list of them. thanks a lot
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5665 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
MikeK157 wrote: Anyone have a list of American schools offering a degree in Canada? Iheard there are several U.S schools with Canadian campuses offering teaching degrees.. Cant seem to find any websites with a list of them. thanks a lot
i think there are 2, one is austrlaian

charles strut or something and i dunno the other
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2822 posts
1493 upvotes
help_questions wrote: I am interested in going to teachers college, and have been looking at the admissions requirements for York, Ottawa, Western and other Ontario schools. Most state that a minimum B average, or B in last 10 courses is required.
While I should be able to meet the requirements, I am wondering if anyone has been admitted to teachers college with lower marks. If anyone has any insight about this, it would be greatly appreciated. The more info, the better. Thanks.
zero teaching experience, teachable senior high school bio/chem, A-avg
offer from Western last year
Sep 4, 2008
258 posts
1 upvote
I hope everyone notes that this is an old thread, almost 1.5 years old. One constant though, is that the number of jobs available has dwindled > :( and is more competitive than ever, especially if your teachables are not in demand.

If you have something like History it will be extremely rough. :idea: In that case get a Primary or Junior qualification as well, and you can at least apply for elementary jobs. In Ontario, because of our dumbass separate school system which allows discrimination against non -Catholics to teach in what are essentially public high schools, see if you can get a fake parish priest :twisted: letter as well.

If you are a non Catholic teacher, you can't even apply for half the jobs out there. :evil:
Is looking for good deal the same as being basically cheap? :?:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
MikeK157 wrote: Anyone have a list of American schools offering a degree in Canada? Iheard there are several U.S schools with Canadian campuses offering teaching degrees.. Cant seem to find any websites with a list of them. thanks a lot
I don't know which NY Schools have classes in Canada, but here's a list off of the top of my head which do have an agreement with the Ontario College of Teachers.

D'Youville College - all classes in Buffalo
Canisius College
Medaille College
State University of New York (SUNY) College at Potsdam
Niagara University
Daemen College

I wouldn't worry too much about being looked at as "second class" by administrators - at the end of the day, it's all about the impression you make at your placement school as well as your resume. With such a competitive job market out there, you need to go the extra mile whether you're educated in Ontario or in NY State.
Sep 4, 2008
258 posts
1 upvote
jandumm wrote: I don't know which NY Schools have classes in Canada, but here's a list off of the top of my head which do have an agreement with the Ontario College of Teachers.

D'Youville College - all classes in Buffalo
Canisius College
Medaille College
State University of New York (SUNY) College at Potsdam
Niagara University
Daemen College

I wouldn't worry too much about being looked at as "second class" by administrators - at the end of the day, it's all about the impression you make at your placement school as well as your resume. With such a competitive job market out there, you need to go the extra mile whether you're educated in Ontario or in NY State.

Nice thing about the New York schools is that you also end up with a NY State teaching certificate which can be used there and through reciprocity with several other states. Despite what you may have hear, several US states pay very well, Canadians are hired (NYC and Las Vegas actively recruit Canadian teachers among others). So, you could get a job in the US if there's not much here. There is also a company called Visiting International faculty (www.vifprogram.com) who place Canadian teachers in full time jobs in several states for up to 2 years.

As far as administrators doing the hiring, they generally don't care where you went to teacher's ollege, only that you have the teaching certificate and that you have qualifications on your certificate for the subject (or grade level, if elementary) that you want to teach.

HINTS: (from my sister is is a secondary vice principal) 1. Do not apply for positions that you are not qualified for. Administrators get pissed off because some people apply for everything. Don't apply for a math job if your teachables are English and History...even if you know you can teach it. Administrators remember and when you finally apply for something on your ticket, your application won't even get read.

2. To get in the door,. consider teaching night or summer school. Many people have used those along with supply teaching to get started. Check your local board's web sites.

3. If you supply teach or land an LTO , do a GREAT job. Don't just go through the motions or put in time. One of the best references you will get is from a teacher you fill in for who mentions to a VP or Principal that you did as requested and that the classroom was not turned into a war zone. The ywill bring you back and who knows what may open up in the school where you are by that time a known quantity. Good luck. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
penquinbum wrote: HINTS: (from my sister is is a secondary vice principal) 1. Do not apply for positions that you are not qualified for. Administrators get pissed off because some people apply for everything. Don't apply for a math job if your teachables are English and History...even if you know you can teach it. Administrators remember and when you finally apply for something on your ticket, your application won't even get read.

2. To get in the door,. consider teaching night or summer school. Many people have used those along with supply teaching to get started. Check your local board's web sites.

3. If you supply teach or land an LTO , do a GREAT job. Don't just go through the motions or put in time. One of the best references you will get is from a teacher you fill in for who mentions to a VP or Principal that you did as requested and that the classroom was not turned into a war zone. The ywill bring you back and who knows what may open up in the school where you are by that time a known quantity. Good luck. :D
Fantastic post..........other tips.....

Once you get your OCT #, pick up an AQ course - e.g. in the elementary level, Special Ed and ESL are very much in demand.

Further to #3 above, if you have a chance to supply or do an LTO, go above and beyond your duties - sign up to help coach a team or organize a spring concert. If you have a planning time with nothing to do (for supplies), go into the office and ask if there's something you can help with - that'll get you noticed quick. From a VP friend, administrators sometimes feel that the schoolboard is full of teachers who have a sense of entitlement who leave as soon as the bell rings and simply go through the motions <- they're looking for teachers who take initiative and will learn things themselves and be a real contributor to the school.

#4 - if you have an IT background, be sure to flaunt it on your resume and in the interview. Volunteer to spruce up their website or incorporate other technology into your work. Teachers are definitely not the most "high tech" people and any competency in computers will be highly appreciated.

#5 - if you are lucky enough to be added to a school's supply list, print up a supply of business cards with your name, email, phone and Employee # (or whatever is used to assign you to a supply list - in Peel, it's your PAM #). When you supply for a teacher, leave a business card or two behind. If there's a school open house at the beginning of the year, go and introduce yourself to the teachers and hand out cards there. Some supplys have even been so forward to leave business cards in every teachers mail slot.
Sep 4, 2008
258 posts
1 upvote
Good post, Jandumm. The only advice I'd give on an additional qualification(AQ) is that if you do take one, you can't get it off your qualifications. Some teachers have found themselves stuck in special ed. because they have it on their qualifications when they would rather have been a regular classroom teacher. BTW: If you can teach French Immersion you're golden!

If you have a couple of university math courses, (that includes Stats) do an AQ in INT. Math. If you have a couple of English courses, an AQ in that might be useful. The trick is always have something extra to offer an employer. :D and be flexible.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
penquinbum wrote: Good post, Jandumm. The only advice I'd give on an additional qualification(AQ) is that if you do take one, you can't get it off your qualifications. Some teachers have found themselves stuck in special ed. because they have it on their qualifications when they would rather have been a regular classroom teacher. BTW: If you can teach French Immersion you're golden!
Totally true penquinbum....taking something like Reading 1 would be a much better idea....my hubby is consideing his AQ choices very carefully because of what you've mentioned :)