Students

Teachers college to be a school counsellor

Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

Teachers college to be a school counsellor

Does anyone know if you need teacheds college to be a school counsellor? Or if a masters in education specializing in counselling is sufficient. Thank you
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1427 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
I thought you needed to be a social worker? All my elementary/high school counsellors had a masters of social work (or whatever it's called)
Fido Customer - $24/30 GB for 10 mths then $29/30GB
Jul 30, 2018
28 posts
30 upvotes
If you want to be a guidance teacher in a high school, you do the usual teacher route (undergraduate degree, 2 year teacher's college program) and then you have to take an additional course to be able to do guidance. As far as I know, guidance isn't one of the possible teachables that you can do in teacher's college. Guidance teachers help make sure you will graduate, set you up for post-secondary, etc.

If you want to be a school counsellor in elementary/high schools, you will probably need your Masters of Social Work. The school counsellors I have worked with all had a social work, counselling or psychology background, not a teaching background. These are the people who will deal with CAS cases and the physical and emotional well-being of the students.
Jul 29, 2007
903 posts
673 upvotes
Pacific Northwest
Masters of Social Work may, in this case, be inferior to the recommended Masters of Education in Counselling Psychology. It's geared for the Education field, and prepares people for Guidance and Counselling field. Here's a program: https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/aphd/Home/ ... index.html
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!
Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you! The masters program at OISE states it is designed for experienced teachers. So maybe you need teachers college beforehand.
Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Are school counsellors the same as guidance counsellors?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
lovetolearn wrote: Are school counsellors the same as guidance counsellors?
A guidance counsellor is a teacher. They deal with a variety of things and some also teach courses. A school counsellor is not a position I'm familiar with. There are many people working in or with schools who are not teachers and might be described as "counsellors." This can include full time child and youth workers, psychologists working with the Board, or counsellors working for community organizations that work with schools or schools refer students to.

Maybe if you give us more details about what specifically it is you want to do we might be able to give you better answers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)