• Apr 9th, 2010 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 31, 2010
4 posts
Ottawa

Teachers College: Waitlisted.

Hello,

I applied for the one year B.ED at Ottawa U. I am currently waitlisted.

My 'stats':

Applied to teach: English as a first language.
Academic average calculated by Ottawa U: 80
Teaching Experience: 2 years experience teaching ESL in Korea.
Waitlist position: 18 out of 101

I have contacted Ottawa U concerning the typical movement of waitlists in previous years, but was told that no such stats are available/aren't released.

I was wondering if anyone might know the following:

1. How many seats are in the B.ED program in total?
2. What has the waitlist movement been like in previous years?

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Waitlist
15 replies
Mar 31, 2010
3 posts
Ontario
I am also curious on wait lists?

I need some sort of optimism going forward. I actually got into Ottawa, but it is my last choice, Ive been wait listed at both Western and Lakehead (orillia campus) all for primary/junior. Both say the wait lists are unranked, but I need to hear something good, cause another month of waiting has me all stressed.
Oct 9, 2008
9 posts
Ottawa
I know someone who started as 32 on the uOttawa waitlist. By September he was #4, but ultimitely didn't get in.

I'd say you have a good chance at #18 though.
Apr 1, 2010
4 posts
Toronto
I don't have any answers for you... but I just have to say that I applied for UOIT's primary/junior BEd program, and I got waitlisted.

I am so... :'( because that's the one I wanted to go to.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2010
4 posts
Ottawa
Hello,

I would like to ask another question.

Does anyone know wtf is going on with admissions for teachers college? For example:

If I were to apply to UofT law, and be accepted, I would know that I am pretty much guaranteed to get in to Windsor law. Yet, here I am getting accepted to OISE, but waitlisted at Ottawa U?

What gives?

Mr. Waitlist
Oct 9, 2008
9 posts
Ottawa
It all depends on your teachables, etc... I'm not sure what the other applications were like this year, but the Ottawa one is just so subjective. When they're judging those type of questions, there are so many factors that influence their decision.

My husband was waitlisted for Ottawa, but got in OISE, which really surprised us. Who knows. Hopefully once the 16th passes, you'll hear that you got in. I don't remember how it worked though. I think the second round of acceptances didn't go out until June when my husband applied.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Just curious, would it be possible that Ottawa U has less seat available comparing with others? At the same time, many seats are already occupied by those who are coming up through concurrent program.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2623 posts
76 upvotes
Mr. Waitlist wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2010 6:15 pm
Hello,

I would like to ask another question.

Does anyone know wtf is going on with admissions for teachers college? For example:

If I were to apply to UofT law, and be accepted, I would know that I am pretty much guaranteed to get in to Windsor law. Yet, here I am getting accepted to OISE, but waitlisted at Ottawa U?

What gives?

Mr. Waitlist
I know someone who got accepted to Harvard but got rejected by UofT lol. I think UofT thought there was no chance in hell he would come there.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2010
4 posts
Ottawa
In response to posts:

Stiven:

Hope you get in to your preferred choices. I also hope you give up your spot at Ottawa U so I can drop OISE and go there. haha.

C_Hickey:

That's awesome to hear, and thanks for the insight in to the whole selection process!

MichelleLaneous:

Don't be sad about the waitlist. Look at it as you are still in the running, just taking a little breather. Get upset if they give a definite no.

gman:

Good point. I had thought of that myself, but can't seem to find the EXACT number of seats in the Ottawa U program. I can find a close estimate (through adding together seats in 'protected corridors'), but cannot seem to find an exact figure. If you spot one, please let me know.

Phoenix3434:

For teacher's college, law school, undergrad, or grad work? And was your friend rich? Money goes a long way in the states towards helping you get in to school. I think though, that you are saying that name isn't everything, or that sometimes selection just doesn't make sense. If so, I agree.

Thanks so much for all who have replied. The information has been really useful.

Mr. Waitlist.
Dec 24, 2008
28 posts
I got into Ottawa for p/j but was waitlisted for the same program at Western. Ottawa was my first choice and I'm very happy with it but I would like to know previous stats as well, it's too bad they don't have that information available. I'm hoping to do the onsite stream at Ottawa and I can't find a number of spots available on the website, just that it's "competitive". I hope that there may be info in the admission package when I get it this week.
Sep 2, 2007
155 posts
1 upvote
I think you will get in. This is a bad year for teachers college, enrollment is way down due to the job market for teachers (not to worry you, but you REALLY need to be volunteering at your board of choice starting now, before you've even graduated unless you have a guaranteed job lined up, i.e.: you have a parent that is a principal or superintendent).

I know a girl that got in to Brock and Windsor both with a low 70 average (I know it's not as good a school).

My best advice for you is to go to a school that does practicums at the board where you want to work. Because unless you have a job lined up, it could be years before you're teaching, and you really need all the contacts you can get in your target board. Especially when your teachable is English and not a science or french. And remember not all boards hire the same, some of them the principal makes the decision of whether to hire you, others its out of their hands and up to some administrators at the board office. Basically you want one where the principal decides and you volunteer a lot at their school so they feel obligated.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12890 posts
1104 upvotes
80 is an extremely good cgpa for your bachelor degree.

I'm surprised you got waitlisted at all.
Apr 6, 2010
1 posts
ottawa
This is what was told to me in my UO infoweb services.

This year, over 5500 applications were received for admission in 386 available places at the Primary/Junior level, 110 at the Junior/Intermediate level and 153 at the Intermediate/Senior level.

I do not know if this helps. I did not get accepted or waitlisted at Ottawa but I was put on the waitlist at Western and Nipissing.
Apr 5, 2010
6 posts
north york
I'm on the wait list for OISE but I got into Trent and UOIT. UOIT is my first choice so it doesnt matter if I'm on the wait list. However, I don't know if I want to go anymore since teaching is going to be hard for the next few years. plus, not sure if i want to do it anymore but good luck to all and i hope you guys make it!
Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
I can't believe no one is giving him a swift kick in the ass over his teaching area! English as a first language, that's probably your biggest problem. There's still a huge attitude that any idiot can teach English (and this goes for Social Studies as well). It's fairly useless as a teaching area... and I'm saying this as an English teacher. :D I've gotten the work I have because of specialties, not English. Now ESL, that'd be more useful. And Math. French. Special Ed. Shop would get you a decent amount of work too.

Teachers don't let friends become teachers. At our staff meeting yesterday, someone brought up that a teacher was disciplined over calling a student a nincompoop. I had a parent call the principal over that they thought their kid weren't getting a good basketball.

Would I trade careers? No. But I also think people are crazy to try and get into teaching now with the way things are, and how things are being cut.
× < >