Teaching Jobs at YRDSB and TDSB

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 3:18 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3213 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Reg 274 was flawed from the start, and boards (especially TDSB) are taking advantage of it. I think it creates as many (or more) problems than it solves.
Oct 20, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
After years of applying, I interviewed in the summer and received a letter stating that I was recommended for the eligible to hire list. That was a few months ago and there has been no news since. Does anyone know what is happening with the eligible to hire list? I know there are other people that were interviewed that must be in the same situation as me. We're on a list to be placed on a list.Has anyone else been through this? How long should this process take?

Thanks!
Feb 14, 2012
7 posts
MISSISSAUGA
ecwjedi wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 6:27 am
After years of applying, I interviewed in the summer and received a letter stating that I was recommended for the eligible to hire list. That was a few months ago and there has been no news since. Does anyone know what is happening with the eligible to hire list? I know there are other people that were interviewed that must be in the same situation as me. We're on a list to be placed on a list.Has anyone else been through this? How long should this process take?

Thanks!
From what I have been told its going to be a long wait. Apparently in the last CA it was agreeded upon that OT not be more than 10% the number of permanent teachers (or a number close to 10%), thus they added a cap to the OT list. At the current moment the number is much higher so TDSB basically has everyone on a waiting list and pulling people off based on speciality such FSL and music.
Feb 14, 2012
7 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Just wanted to add all that information came from the Facebook group for TDSB OT, you should probably join as they seem to understand more about the situation.
Apr 22, 2013
25 posts
8 upvotes
BennyT316507 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 8:51 am
And yes, I have to do an update every week in order to be remained on the eligible to hire list.
Here are two posts from last year that seem to confirm that TDSB complied with Reg 274 and got rid of the eligible to hire list. I guess they decided to bring it back even though they are only supposed to have two lists. Sorry to hear that you have to keep updating every week. Hopefully you will get moved onto the OT list. Good Luck.

jessiem wrote: ↑
Hi everyone,

I was placed on the ETH list last June and haven't worked since then. I called last month and was told the ETH list no longer exists and has been replaced by the Occassional list.

I was also told I was supposed to receive a letter detailing this information. I haven't received anything yet.

Does anyone know what this letter is about? Or have some insight as to what is happening for this September in the TDSB?

Thanks for the responses Inline image

Obsidianzj:

A friend of mine that was on the ETH list last year never received a letter stating that she was still on it still year. She said after calling continuously for a week she still didn't get a response. They finally called her about something else so she asked and was informed that the ETH list isn't really active anymore. In order to be eligible to apply for contract positions, you need to have completed a LTO of 4 months or more. Also, she was told it was up to her to let them know she was interested in being eligible for a contract. I hope this helps.
Oct 20, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
My mistake, its not the Eligible to Hire List, I’ve been recommended for inclusion on the Elementary Occasional Teacher Roster. I’ll be added as system needs are identified.

It has been months and it seems like there are other people in the same boat. No news on an orientation and no employee number. I wonder how many people are on the the list to be on the list? People have bills and family obligations, the TDSB should keep people better informed as I am sure there are people who are waiting for the news to come that they can finally start working. I also wonder why they continue to interview if they are only adding them to a waiting list? It was not made clear.
Apr 22, 2013
25 posts
8 upvotes
ecwjedi wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 11:00 am
My mistake, its not the Eligible to Hire List, I’ve been recommended for inclusion on the Elementary Occasional Teacher Roster. I’ll be added as system needs are identified.

It has been months and it seems like there are other people in the same boat. No news on an orientation and no employee number. I wonder how many people are on the the list to be on the list? People have bills and family obligations, the TDSB should keep people better informed as I am sure there are people who are waiting for the news to come that they can finally start working. I also wonder why they continue to interview if they are only adding them to a waiting list? It was not made clear.

I am a TDSB Occasional teacher and after reading some recent posts from individuals who say they have been placed on the Eligible to Hire (ETH) list, I decided to call the board office anonymously and ask them about this list. I inquired as to why they still have this list if it was removed last year. They told me that they are no longer calling it the eligible to hire list. It is now called the Secondary/Elementary Hiring Pool. It is essentially the same as the ETH list. I asked them why they are still using this method of hiring as it is in contradiction to regulation 274. They told me that regulation 274 pertains only to actual employees. They complied with regulation 274 until they realized that they could still have their ETH but just under a different name.

My suggestion to those who are on the Secondary/Elementary Hiring pool (ETH), or to those who have been recommended as needs are identified, is to not pass up opportunity from another board if you are offered employment as any transfer from the hiring pool to actual employment as an Occasional teacher with TDSB is not guaranteed.
Last edited by RobinCastle71 on Dec 4th, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 2, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I was on the TDSB list all summer and interviewed for September.
Anyone know what the process at TDSB is for moving from Elementary to Secondary?
I can't find any information for switching panels online. I have qualifications for elementary and secondary and want to switch into secondary.
I know everyone says I should be grateful for any kind of job, and I am, but I'm willing to go back to supplying to move to secondary.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.
I applied for elementary and secondary but only got an interview for the elementary OT list.
Apr 22, 2013
25 posts
8 upvotes
teachit wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:28 pm
I was on the TDSB list all summer and interviewed for September.
Anyone know what the process at TDSB is for moving from Elementary to Secondary?
I can't find any information for switching panels online. I have qualifications for elementary and secondary and want to switch into secondary.
I know everyone says I should be grateful for any kind of job, and I am, but I'm willing to go back to supplying to move to secondary.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.
I applied for elementary and secondary but only got an interview for the elementary OT list.
You have to call the TDSB office and ask your documentation contact about transferring or being added to another panel. I called and was told I had to email someone. They will give you a contact name. As far as I know requests for transfer between panels are based on need. There is not much you can do but wait as any request for transfer is not going to be given to you right away.
Oct 20, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
For anyone working for the TDSB, how long did it take you to actually start working after you got the letter stating that you were recommended to be placed on the occasional teaching roster?
Feb 27, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE
It all depends when they need supply teacher . I got the letter at the end of June in 2014 and start working in September 2014 when school started and friend of mine she got the letter in September 2015 and she started working in January 2016 because supply work is slow nowadays,it picks up in January because of the weather
Feb 27, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE
I am in the occasional rooster list from 2014. I am also in the LTO list. I am just wondering how to get LTO. I applied and got calls for an interview but never got a response. Is it useful to apply for LTO posts every week? Please respond to my question if you have any experience.
Jul 14, 2016
17 posts
For PDSB, can I supply for schools that are not on my list or can i call a VP and ask that person to add my name to the school for supply work? Does anyone know? Thanks
Jul 29, 2006
620 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Benny

You are better off going to a few schools, introducing yourself to adm and kindly ask them to put you on the schools preferred or priority list. Drop of a business card if you've got one, dress somewhat professional, set a good impression and you should be good to go.
....life needs more green lights.