Careers

Teaching Jobs at YRDSB and TDSB

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 3:18 pm
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
AFAIK permanent teachers are free to apply to another board (I've never seen any union language against it). But doing so means that you lose all seniority and have to go through the Reg. 274 process again, which means it will be 2-6 years until you get back to full employment. So it's not something that happens all that often these days since there is such a financial hardship attached to it.
ikwaner wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:31 am
Are permanent teachers from pdsb able to apply to other school boards? I heard from some of my colleagues that there's a collective agreements from the union that it doesn't allow us to apply unless we are "relocating" and only to a "non-neighbouring region" i.e like Durham but not tdsb or yrdsb
Feb 4, 2017
56 posts
2 upvotes
My wife has Master's in Engineering. But she would like to go to teaching profession especially in Elementary grades.
Can she enter into teaching profession? Does she have to again go through teaching program education?
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
Yes, she must go through the 2-year program (assuming you're in Ontario).
bhushh009 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:39 pm
My wife has Master's in Engineering. But she would like to go to teaching profession especially in Elementary grades.
Can she enter into teaching profession? Does she have to again go through teaching program education?
Jul 31, 2016
282 posts
153 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:39 pm
Yes. She needs a Bachelor's of Education degree.
May 24, 2012
29 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ikwaner wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:31 am
Are permanent teachers from pdsb able to apply to other school boards? I heard from some of my colleagues that there's a collective agreements from the union that it doesn't allow us to apply unless we are "relocating" and only to a "non-neighbouring region" i.e like Durham but not tdsb or yrdsb
As a permanent teacher, you are allowed to apply to other school boards; Upon doing so, you will be directly given an interview to be on the LTO list. If you succeed in the interview, you will be placed on the LTO list, which will bypass the earlier steps (OT list).
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
Sorry Weird, that is not the case. You must re-enter the Reg 274 process at year zero. This is actually union and school board supported as the unions don't want any of their local members losing jobs to "outsiders". I have fought hard to try to get this ridiculous rule changed at the provincial level but it's not something they care about. This is a brutal rule since it essentially means that you can't ever move to another part of the province without suffering a job loss.
weirdlogic wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:15 pm
As a permanent teacher, you are allowed to apply to other school boards; Upon doing so, you will be directly given an interview to be on the LTO list. If you succeed in the interview, you will be placed on the LTO list, which will bypass the earlier steps (OT list).
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3213 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Clacker wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 4:30 pm
Sorry Weird, that is not the case. You must re-enter the Reg 274 process at year zero. This is actually union and school board supported as the unions don't want any of their local members losing jobs to "outsiders". I have fought hard to try to get this ridiculous rule changed at the provincial level but it's not something they care about. This is a brutal rule since it essentially means that you can't ever move to another part of the province without suffering a job loss.
Actually, weirdlogic is correct. The original Reg 274 meant starting over as a daily OT if you wanted to move boards, but this small change was added later. It still means teacher are essentially indentured servants, though.
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
Are you talking about at the elementary level? The exception you're talking about (and I guess weirdlogic too) applies to ETFO members only, so if you're catholic, or secondary it doesn't apply https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/120274
Topher wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:34 pm
Actually, weirdlogic is correct. The original Reg 274 meant starting over as a daily OT if you wanted to move boards, but this small change was added later. It still means teacher are essentially indentured servants, though.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3213 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Clacker wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:14 pm
Are you talking about at the elementary level? The exception you're talking about (and I guess weirdlogic too) applies to ETFO members only, so if you're catholic, or secondary it doesn't apply https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/120274
You would be correct. Thank you for that clarification. Part 3 Sec 16.2.a. I guess the other unions didn't have a concern for taking experience from one board to another, with the exception of AEFO who isn't subject to this regulation at all.
Mar 10, 2010
890 posts
100 upvotes
It's funny as I've tried to get OSSTF to take a similar stance (to the ETFO language), but they're very much against it since it means that people would be able to supersede some of the seniority of local members with regards to getting contract jobs. But for all intents and purposes it makes it brutal on any secondary teacher who needs to move since it will set them back years while they go through the Reg 274 process all over again.
Topher wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:33 pm
You would be correct. Thank you for that clarification. Part 3 Sec 16.2.a. I guess the other unions didn't have a concern for taking experience from one board to another, with the exception of AEFO who isn't subject to this regulation at all.
May 24, 2012
29 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Clacker wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:14 pm
Yes, you are correct. This applies only to ETFO permanent teacher members. Should have clarified that.
Nov 14, 2011
5 posts
Thornhill
Has anyone been notified to do an interview with YRDSB after applying for the secondary occasional teachers posting in early November?