Sports & Recreation

Which team wins in a made up game, Grey Cup winner or U.S. college number 1 ranked team?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 4:18 am

Poll: Who wins the made up fantasy game of CFL vs. U.S. college best team

• Total votes: 26. You have voted on this poll.
Grey Cup/CFL team

42%
U.S. best college football team

58%
[OP]
May 6, 2005
871 posts
21 upvotes

Which team wins in a made up game, Grey Cup winner or U.S. college number 1 ranked team?

So who wins an imaginary game using NFL rules, the Grey cup winner or the U.S. number one ranked college team?
My uninformed guess is the CFL team given that the feeder system after college is pretty small for football players and that most of any awesome college team still goes undrafted.
I'd like to think that men in their late 20s early 30's are in their prime compared to college athletes (who might have better cardio/speed), but what do I know.

Opinion?
17 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10670 posts
1326 upvotes
If you're going to play NFL rules (assuming on an NFL field), there's a massive advantage to the college team. Their linemen will be much bigger than CFL linemen. CFL linemen are smaller for a reason. With a far larger field, they need to be far more agile than powerful. A team like Alabama that averages 200 yards running the ball, they will have no trouble continuing to do that. They will have no problems putting pressure on a smaller CFL oline. No running starts and other various rule changes, it creates a lot of changes a CFL team needs to make to adjust to the NFL rules.

Alabama is no joke. They are putting up 50+ points per game with 500+ yards. They won the National title multiple times. They are the current champions and favorites to repeat. The Tides have legit talented players. In the past 2 years, they averaged 11 players getting drafted and 4 in the first round. Then there are plenty more who are capable of playing at the CFL level, but would rather not pursue it. I would say more than half the Alabama team are talented (or way over talented) to play in the CFL.

And well the CFL champs are the Argos. A very average CFL team with a record of 9-9, that got hot/lucky at the right time. Normally, I would say the CFL team, but the Crimson Tide are really represent the one of the better college teams in history and playing with NFL rules, I doubt the Argos would win.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6755 posts
1683 upvotes
I would guess the top college team have at least 1 or 2 NFL bound players. I would say they would beat any CFL team.

In the NBA, players taken in the first round (top 30 picks) are all players that single-handedly led their high school basketball teams to state championships.
Even ex-Raptor Matt Bonner did that (led his high school to 3 state championships). He was a late second round draft pick, only a role player, and slow footed by NBA standards.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9905 posts
1820 upvotes
Montréal
Interesting topic, I sometimes wonder too. As awesome as some college teams are, they are just 'kids' right? CFL is made of those same kids that didn't make it to the NFL but are still the 'best of the best' from pools such as NCAA. So, CFL>college. That's my uninformed opinion lol.

However, I'm confused as it obviously seems to me that the popularity and budget is way bigger for NCAA, so I dunno haha.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1957 posts
494 upvotes
Woodbridge
Interesting. My gut tells me that if you could be in the NFL you would be, and that CFL teams are filled with rosters of players that aren't NFL-calibre, whereas top college programs do have a handful of players that are NFL-ready. Having said that, there's a huge jump from college to the pros, and only the best of the best top draft picks actually make an impact year-one and only after having trained with and been coached by pro coaches and teammates in a pro system. I'd bet on the CFL team here.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1971 posts
766 upvotes
Victoria
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 3:56 pm
If you're going to play NFL rules (assuming on an NFL field), there's a massive advantage to the college team. Their linemen will be much bigger than CFL linemen. CFL linemen are smaller for a reason. With a far larger field, they need to be far more agile than powerful. A team like Alabama that averages 200 yards running the ball, they will have no trouble continuing to do that. They will have no problems putting pressure on a smaller CFL oline. No running starts and other various rule changes, it creates a lot of changes a CFL team needs to make to adjust to the NFL rules.

Alabama is no joke. They are putting up 50+ points per game with 500+ yards. They won the National title multiple times. They are the current champions and favorites to repeat. The Tides have legit talented players. In the past 2 years, they averaged 11 players getting drafted and 4 in the first round. Then there are plenty more who are capable of playing at the CFL level, but would rather not pursue it. I would say more than half the Alabama team are talented (or way over talented) to play in the CFL.

And well the CFL champs are the Argos. A very average CFL team with a record of 9-9, that got hot/lucky at the right time. Normally, I would say the CFL team, but the Crimson Tide are really represent the one of the better college teams in history and playing with NFL rules, I doubt the Argos would win.
This.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9905 posts
1820 upvotes
Montréal
MaxPower19 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 7:05 pm
This.
Really, 10 yards is gonna make that much difference? Not to mention there's only 3 downs in CFL. If anything, wouldn't CFLers be beefier for the simple fact they are full-grown men? It's not like we're talking about 100m vs 400m sprinters here. *shrug*

I would think the difference is in talent not size, whatever the outcome.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1971 posts
766 upvotes
Victoria
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 7:56 pm
Really, 10 yards is gonna make that much difference? Not to mention there's only 3 downs in CFL. If anything, wouldn't CFLers be beefier for the simple fact they are full-grown men? It's not like we're talking about 100m vs 400m sprinters here. *shrug*

I would think the difference is in talent not size, whatever the outcome.
Wider-field in the CFL. Also looking at these teams specifically. In general an average CFL team will beat an average US college team for the reasons you mentioned.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10937 posts
941 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Any given Sunday. As mentioned already, look at Grey Cup 2017 as an example.
Nov 23, 2015
527 posts
250 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canadian rules would mean the CFL team would completely annihilate the NCAA team, like complete 50 point arse whupping. American rules, the margin gets narrower, maybe 30 points.

Either way the CFL team wins handily.

Let's not forget, most players on any given NCAA team including the Crimson Tide will never get a sniff from the pros, NFL, CFL or otherwise. By contrast, all players on the CFL team made the leap to the pros, many have NFL experience or at least have been to NFL training camps. So even if Alabama or whoever has two or three guys poised to become elite NFL players, they're still novices. Collectively, the team won't overcome the size, strength and experience that comes with being a professional player.
Nov 23, 2015
527 posts
250 upvotes
Winnipeg
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 6:16 pm
This must be a joke poll. US College Football unparalleled.
'Unparalleled' when it comes to amateur football for college athletes, yes. Put a 20 year old d-lineman up against someone like Stanley Bryant and see what happens.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10937 posts
941 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't know much about college ball, so I'm not sure in a single, NFL-rule game. But then, one thing players always say about making the leap from amateur to professional is the speed of the game. QB is the most difficult position to play in team sports. I'm thinking of back in the days of Don Matthew's Montreal Alouettes, playing against Khari Jones' Blue Bombers (don't remember the coach). MTL put seven guys, or whatever, on the line and blitzed the snot out of WPG.

I don't know how big college linemen are, but for professional athletes, it is their fulltime job to train and work out, and to study film. Colleges would have an advantage in roster sizes, and I'm assuming, number of coaches.

tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 6:39 pm
CFL is made of those same kids that didn't make it to the NFL but are still the 'best of the best' from pools such as NCAA. So, CFL>college. That's my uninformed opinion lol.
No, that's sound reasoning. I laugh at guys who claim that college talent is better than the CFL. Next level is next level. You only make it to the next level (CFL) if you've got the talent.
Jan 1, 2013
897 posts
324 upvotes
Durham
As much as I'm not a fan of the CFL, they would still win. NFL or CFL rules. Remember the CFL is still a professional league. Half of a college team wouldn't even make the CFL and maybe 1 or 2 will make the NFL any given year.