Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7587 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto

Tearing up a lawn and resodding

Anyone tear up their lawn and re-sod before? I have a large backyard, and it have been infested with wild violets, clover and other weeds. My yard could also use a levelling.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has taken up the existing lawn and re-sodded. Did you DYI or use a company?
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4326 posts
752 upvotes
Kitchener
My yard was 90% weeds, so I put new sod in my backyard summer 2015. Here's my DIY cost breakdown if anyone's thinking that route. Yard is 900 square feet

$70 Sod cutter rental from Home Depot, took about an hour to cut it all. Have to use a pick mattock along the fence where the sod cutter couldn't cut

$80 for landfill, 3 trips to the landfill with 3800lbs of weeds and old sod. I have a pickup truck so just gas money

$254 for 900 square feet of sod (25 cents per square foot) at Green Horizons sod farm in Cambridge. They give you free bags of starter fertilizer. The existing soil was good so I did not have to add extra topsoil. 2'x5' roll of sod weighs 40-45 lbs (4000lbs total) so 2 trips in my pickup. Kind of overloaded but it wasn't that far away. Took me 10 hours to roll out the new sod.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4739 posts
759 upvotes
Drthorne wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:53 pm
My yard was 90% weeds, so I put new sod in my backyard summer 2015. Here's my DIY cost breakdown if anyone's thinking that route. Yard is 900 square feet

$70 Sod cutter rental from Home Depot, took about an hour to cut it all. Have to use a pick mattock along the fence where the sod cutter couldn't cut

$80 for landfill, 3 trips to the landfill with 3800lbs of weeds and old sod. I have a pickup truck so just gas money

$254 for 900 square feet of sod (25 cents per square foot) at Green Horizons sod farm in Cambridge. They give you free bags of starter fertilizer. The existing soil was good so I did not have to add extra topsoil. 2'x5' roll of sod weighs 40-45 lbs (4000lbs total) so 2 trips in my pickup. Kind of overloaded but it wasn't that far away. Took me 10 hours to roll out the new sod.
This is helpful. I have to replace my boulevard this year due to last years drought. When is the best time to cut out the old grass? Assuming it cant be too wet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7587 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Drthorne.

I know about the Costco deal, but the issue is that it will be delivered 6 days after ordering and obviously being sod, needs to be installed ASAP. The deal is only on for a few more days, my back yard is roughly 2300sqft, and I was also going to do the front which is another say 200. I don't think I'll be able to get all the work done in time, and the weather doesn't seem to be working in my favour. Is spring time the best to tackle this, hoping for rain?
t3359 wrote:
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1160 posts
389 upvotes
Alliston, ON
koffey wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:08 am
Thanks Drthorne.

I know about the Costco deal, but the issue is that it will be delivered 6 days after ordering and obviously being sod, needs to be installed ASAP. The deal is only on for a few more days, my back yard is roughly 2300sqft, and I was also going to do the front which is another say 200. I don't think I'll be able to get all the work done in time, and the weather doesn't seem to be working in my favour. Is spring time the best to tackle this, hoping for rain?
The Costco deal doesn't ship until may 15th. Which depending on how spring goes, you might not be able to get sod from sod farms to much earlier. Sod doesn't have to be laid immediately, it's fine for a few days on a skid so long as you keep it wet.

Yes spring/fall is the best time to do it unless you plan on watering it 2-3 times a day in the summer
Mar 19, 2013
571 posts
157 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Several years ago, replaced my existing lawn with new sod. About 3000 sq.ft. It was a DIY project. Not highly technical, very physical labor. Had a serious quackgrass problem. I chemically killed the existing lawn. The quack had to be dead. Spent the money on screened & sterilized topsoil. The number of hours for the entire project, about 100 hours. Lot of work, it was fun, very good 'pat on your back" project.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1233 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
Sorry to threadjack a bit but I'm having similar issues with my front and back yards. Also have issues with raccoons/squirrels digging up the yard.

Thought about pulling everything up and laying artificial grass. Not sure how long it lasts but just thinking about the long term savings of water, gas & equipment and time.

If anyone has any experience I would love some feedback. Also would like to know how it holds up against animals. I don't have any pets to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Your best bet may not be to tear up the lawn due to weeds as the weeds will just come back the next season. Go down to the states (or if you have friends or family in another province that can send it to you) and get some Killex (or anything with 2, 4 - D). The stuff is a selective herbicide that will only target weeds and the like. You typically need two applications during the year - one once the weeds start growing again (ie weather gets warmer) and a second to catch all of seeds that blow over from your neighbours year (you can typically spot treat however). Once the weeds are dead, you'll need to wait a few weeks for the 2, 4 - D to break down so that grass seeds can grow but you can take that time to aerate the lawn, get some fine compost or triple-mix, and level the lawn as well as apply lime, kill the moss and fertilize.

At the end of the day, it should be cheaper, look just as good, and easier to do. However, it's a longer process to get to that green lawn.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7587 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:46 am
Your best bet may not be to tear up the lawn due to weeds as the weeds will just come back the next season. Go down to the states (or if you have friends or family in another province that can send it to you) and get some Killex (or anything with 2, 4 - D). The stuff is a selective herbicide that will only target weeds and the like. You typically need two applications during the year - one once the weeds start growing again (ie weather gets warmer) and a second to catch all of seeds that blow over from your neighbours year (you can typically spot treat however). Once the weeds are dead, you'll need to wait a few weeks for the 2, 4 - D to break down so that grass seeds can grow but you can take that time to aerate the lawn, get some fine compost or triple-mix, and level the lawn as well as apply lime, kill the moss and fertilize.

At the end of the day, it should be cheaper, look just as good, and easier to do. However, it's a longer process to get to that green lawn.
Appreciate the feedback but I have 2,4-d and it will not destroy the violets. These weeds have a wax type skin that doesn't absorb the chemicals and they don't need to bloom to reproduce. I've been trying to get rid of these weeds for over 2 years now and this summer will be three. I'm at a complete and utter loss, so I was thinking of re-sodding. Here's a snippet from a gardening site. Basically I'm dealing with zombie mannequins that are asexual.
Controlling wild violets in the lawn may be one of the most difficult gardening problems a homeowner can face. Those pretty little plants can take over a lawn in just a few short seasons and once they take hold, nothing is as tenacious as the wild violet. Control or killing wild violets in lawn can take years.

Wild violets have two types of flowers — the pretty purple ones that children gather for their mothers and the plain, unopened ones that shelter beneath leaves that protect them from most types of wild violet control. The purple flowers may be sterile. The flowers beneath the leaves are not only fertile, but self-fertilizing. They don’t need to bloom to reproduce. Thick clumps of underground stems, called rhizomes, store water so the plants can survive drought. When a gardener tries to kill wild violets in the lawn, the rhizomes survive and send forth new shoots. Those lovely heart shaped leaves pose the third problem in controlling wild violets. The waxy coating that gives the leaves their shine also prevents herbicides from penetrating the leaves.
t3359 wrote:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
koffey wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:14 pm
Appreciate the feedback but I have 2,4-d and it will not destroy the violets. These weeds have a wax type skin that doesn't absorb the chemicals and they don't need to bloom to reproduce. I've been trying to get rid of these weeds for over 2 years now and this summer will be three. I'm at a complete and utter loss, so I was thinking of re-sodding. Here's a snippet from a gardening site. Basically I'm dealing with zombie mannequins that are asexual.
I've found that anything that has a waxy type skin can be attacked with a bit of hand dishwashing soap mixed in with the chemical in question. The soap breaks down the wax allowing the chemicals to be absorbed in addition to allowing the chemicals to cling to the surface until the break down happens. So, if you have 2,4-D in a hand spray bottle, put a few drops of Dawn in there, shake well, and spot apply to the violets.
Mar 19, 2013
571 posts
157 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
koffey wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:14 pm
2-4-d or Killex is a selective weed killer. They kill most broadleaf weeds but not all. I recommend a Round-Up type of product, it's main ingredient is Glyphosate. Kills anything that is green, including grass. I killed unwanted trees with it. There another product called Wipe Out, don't know how well it works.
May 7, 2016
209 posts
154 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 1:33 pm
I've found that anything that has a waxy type skin can be attacked with a bit of hand dishwashing soap mixed in with the chemical in question. The soap breaks down the wax allowing the chemicals to be absorbed in addition to allowing the chemicals to cling to the surface until the break down happens. So, if you have 2,4-D in a hand spray bottle, put a few drops of Dawn in there, shake well, and spot apply to the violets.
^This. A bit of soap will act as a surfactant to break the surface tension, allowing the 2,4-D to penetrate and kill the violets. My lawn was infested and now looks like a golf course.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/much-soap- ... 92187.html

If you resod, you will have the same problem in 2018. I did it in a portion of my lawn and it was a lot of work with very limited result.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2530 posts
651 upvotes
Paris
Roundup, rototiller, TONNES of triple mix (there is NEVER enough topsoil) to level, then sod.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.