• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 8:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4560 posts
1036 upvotes
North York
Fairview Mall only selling tea leaves for 30% off.
Cast iron tea pots have all been sold out there for 75% off, good luck finding them in other stores.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2577 posts
1338 upvotes
Markham
Katsiki wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:47 pm
this hipster fad is finally dying out?
lol drinking tea is a hipster fad?! You've set a pretty low bar for defining "hipster fad".
Apr 5, 2009
116 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
cheapbastage wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:27 am
You gotta admit a dedicated store to sell anything 'tea related' is pretty pretensious.
The majority population of the world actually drinks tea over coffee or any other beverage. It seems like you're out of touch and living in a bubble.
Dec 7, 2009
740 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto and points e…
Yes, a lot of folks drink tea making it the world's #2 consumed beverage after water but Starbucks could not make standalone tea stores profitable so they are closing them down. They will continue to sell the tea in their coffee stores.
"Many of our Teavana mall-based stores have been persistently underperforming," CEO Kevin Johnson said on Starbucks' third-quarter earnings call. "We conducted a strategic review of the Teavana mall-based store business and concluded that despite our efforts to reverse the trend through creative merchandising and new store designs, the underperformance was likely to continue."
They blame it partially on declining foot traffic in malls.
Oct 25, 2011
117 posts
55 upvotes
Ajax
Was at the PTC store yesterday. Apparently they were the only store with stock. While the worker was the most unhelpful, bored, staring at his phone the whole time and did not know the prices of anything (maybe $5?) I managed to grab a lb of tea and an infuser - both 75% off. The store was/is cleared out though as 3 people ahead of me each spent $300-$600.... Crazy.
Feb 16, 2017
31 posts
5 upvotes
That's because they know that they won't find any things good like this at this price for a while and I assume that they are addict too to tea
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2175 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The question is why can coffee shop survive while tea shop cant, given that tea is the number 2 most consumed drink in the world?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Aug 3, 2005
274 posts
41 upvotes
Cause this is good way to get rid of tones of left over overpriced low quality tea thats mixed with fruit garbage. Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 5, 2010
883 posts
193 upvotes
Montreal,QC
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:46 am
The question is why can coffee shop survive while tea shop cant, given that tea is the number 2 most consumed drink in the world?
You're comparing a coffee shop that sells coffee in its final product (coffee drink) vs Teavana selling the raw product with no sit-in/take out..

And coffee is America's #1 drink, Teavana shops are in America..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5139 posts
1330 upvotes
Kootenays
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:46 am
Because margins are incredibly high on pre-made coffee drinks (90%+?) and not so high on loose teas. The most expensive thing in a Starbucks cappuccino is the milk, at about 10 cents.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1552 posts
156 upvotes
irodeo wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 5:24 pm
You're comparing a coffee shop that sells coffee in its final product (coffee drink) vs Teavana selling the raw product with no sit-in/take out..

And coffee is America's #1 drink, Teavana shops are in America..
Exactly. Perhaps they should have focused on opening stores in India and China and maybe Russia and UK. But I doubt that would work because of political and economic reasons.

Isn't David's Tea eating their lunch? Those seem to be popular; I haven't even seen a Teavana store here in Vancouver.

But as the other guy mentioned, I can't see how can ANY tea shop selling just leaves stay in business. Mall rental is tens of thousands a month and even a regular customer would spend maybe 10 a month there. The only thing that seems to survive in malls is big brand, high price AND high margin which seems to translate to clothes and shoes. Even jewelry stores have been closing.
Aug 3, 2005
274 posts
41 upvotes
But they were selling end product brewed tea as well, this is not working because a lot of people are realizing what tea actually is....difference between craft cheese slice and real slice of cheese...
Aug 25, 2007
933 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
canadatoronto wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 6:58 pm
But they were selling end product brewed tea as well, this is not working because a lot of people are realizing what tea actually is....difference between craft cheese slice and real slice of cheese...
is craft cheese anything like craft beer?? ;)