• Sep 19th, 2017 3:02 am
Tags:
None
Apr 1, 2004
531 posts
10 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Oct 7th, 2012 2:13 pm
Used Invisalign for a few years as a braces alternative. Regret the decision completely. They rarely stayed on my teeth, and sometimes I felt that my teeth were changing the shape of the invisaligners instead of vice versa!

My teeth were never straightened in the end.
Sounds like they might have messed up on taking a proper mold of your teeth. Also, if you don't have them in like your supposed to, your teeth kinda fall behind schedule. So that the new aligners don't fit properly.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I used invisalign. Moderately crooked teeth, both top and bottom. Had them on for about a year, cost was about $4200 (got a discount as my dentist had just started doing the treatment).

Very happy with the results. If you have a choice, I'd go with invisalign. However you do have to be pretty disciplined about wearing them all the time.
Jun 6, 2009
384 posts
39 upvotes
There is specific criteria for when you can use Invisalign and when you cannot, best to go to a dentist or orthodontist to see what your options are for your own type of malocclusion
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
1438 posts
49 upvotes
I was caught in this dilemma too but decided to go with the braces instead, I'm 21 now and still have them on had them for about 2 years now. It doesn't really bother me though because it makes me happy that the results will be worth it :) . I was quoted 6500$ including retainers but was given a discount to 5500$. The pain I must say the first week or two was horrible especially on the first 2 days but other than that it has been pretty good.
Apr 7, 2012
8 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Have you considered other alternatives that are like invisalign?
I've been thinking of getting mtm clear aligner. It's basically the same thing.
You should check out other invisible braces brands.
Oct 2, 2004
494 posts
1 upvote
Markham
I had traditional braces and now I have retainers which are essentially invisalign I believe to keep my teeth straight.

Metal ones are such a big hassle to clean and floss. Also if found them to have discomfort because my mouth presses against the metal and caused my mouth to swell in some spots where the metal kept rubbing against my mouth.

The invisalign are much more flexible and easier to clean. You can take them out when you want or need to. It's also easier to clean and floss.

Depending on your situation though traditional braces might work faster I believe.. best to talk to your orthodontist!
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
259 upvotes
Mississauga
Just an update to the thread, I got my Invisalign trays this Thursday.
Observations: still hard to take out, put back in. Dull ache in my teeth from it. First night I had to take them out to go to sleep. Seco d night I used some orajel to numb them a bit. I'm not lisping to bad from them, but they are more visible than I had expected due to the placement of the bumps on a couple of my top teeth. Without the trays not noticeable, but feels weird.
Due to the inconvenience of taking them out, I'm not snacking much anymore, so may end up losing a few pounds, lol.
Sme lifestyle changes as well....I can't chew gum anymore, which I used to do a lot, ESP to keep breath fresh. So picked up some breath strips and breathsavers from Dollarama. Can't even open open up plastic packages with my teeth anymore either with the trays in, lol.
I can update or post pics later if anyone wants.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Dec 12, 2005
876 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
stealth wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 11:47 am
Just an update to the thread, I got my Invisalign trays this Thursday.
Observations: still hard to take out, put back in. Dull ache in my teeth from it. First night I had to take them out to go to sleep. Seco d night I used some orajel to numb them a bit. I'm not lisping to bad from them, but they are more visible than I had expected due to the placement of the bumps on a couple of my top teeth. Without the trays not noticeable, but feels weird.
Due to the inconvenience of taking them out, I'm not snacking much anymore, so may end up losing a few pounds, lol.
Sme lifestyle changes as well....I can't chew gum anymore, which I used to do a lot, ESP to keep breath fresh. So picked up some breath strips and breathsavers from Dollarama. Can't even open open up plastic packages with my teeth anymore either with the trays in, lol.
I can update or post pics later if anyone wants.
How long is your treatment plan? And if you don't mind, how much?
Jun 15, 2012
253 posts
234 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not too sure about cost differences, but I'll offer my two cents. I had braces for 1-2 years during my teens and then I had retainers.

For the retainers, I first chose Invisalign and then I had those normal metal braces. I was actually really disappointed with the Invisalign. Cons:
- Even though they look fairly nice from a distance, saliva keeps on getting stuck in them.
- For eating, you have to remove them, but when you put it back in, unless you brush your teeth every time before putting it back in, it'll trap the food residue on your teeth. (And no, it's not actual particles, but it's just the layer that you can only get rid of by brushing your teeth.) Since I was still in school, it's not like I could brush my teeth after lunchtime everyday (nor did I particularly want to, either) and so it was probably the major (or only) contributor to my teeth not being as strong and healthy nowadays.
- Compared to the normal metal retainers, Invisalign do not last long at all! (Though perhaps this is because Invisalign was made to be short-term braces, changed monthly, and not as long-term retainers?) The plastic wears out very quickly, and if you need to have your cavities removed and filled with the synthetic thing, which changes the surface of your teeth, the Invisalign will cannot adapt and thus it will crack.

So for traditional retainers vs. Invisalign? Definitely traditional! (Here the Invisalign doesn't change very often - only when you no longer want it or it cracks, etc.)

But for braces vs. Invisalign? (Here, the Invisalign is meant to change the formation of your teeth, so I guess it's to be switched often.) Well, the only pro to Invisalign is that it's transparent. But there are so many cons (see above)! Let me list the cons of braces (that Invisalign may or may not have if you use them as braces):
- They are very awkward. Unless you're in school and your peers all have braces... I think it might be a bit weird. But of course, if you don't mind being stared at for a few seconds when you smile, no worries about this point!
- The metal will sometimes scratch the inside of your mouth, which may tear at the skin a bit (painful).
- Flossing is very, very time-consuming. I think I once wrote an essay during those 1-2 years about how my nightly "teeth" ritual took 20 mins! ;)
- It's always there, so you supposedly couldn't eat candy or chew gum.
- The wire might poke the back of your mouth. You need to have your dentist cut at just at the right length every time (which is every month) - too long, and it'll poke (really uncomfortable), but too short, and the wire will slip out (you'll need to go back to your dentist to get a new wire).

So there you have it! :) I'd vote for the traditional route - metal braces and metal retainers. The memory of the Invisalign left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended). ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
259 upvotes
Mississauga
Shojin wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 1:47 pm
How long is your treatment plan? And if you don't mind, how much?
40 weeks for top, 48weeks for bottom.
$5500.
Good-bye.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
259 upvotes
Mississauga
suigeneris wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:29 am
I'm not too sure about cost differences, but I'll offer my two cents. I had braces for 1-2 years during my teens and then I had retainers.

For the retainers, I first chose Invisalign and then I had those normal metal braces. I was actually really disappointed with the Invisalign. Cons:
- Even though they look fairly nice from a distance, saliva keeps on getting stuck in them.
- For eating, you have to remove them, but when you put it back in, unless you brush your teeth every time before putting it back in, it'll trap the food residue on your teeth. (And no, it's not actual particles, but it's just the layer that you can only get rid of by brushing your teeth.) Since I was still in school, it's not like I could brush my teeth after lunchtime everyday (nor did I particularly want to, either) and so it was probably the major (or only) contributor to my teeth not being as strong and healthy nowadays.
- Compared to the normal metal retainers, Invisalign do not last long at all! (Though perhaps this is because Invisalign was made to be short-term braces, changed monthly, and not as long-term retainers?) The plastic wears out very quickly, and if you need to have your cavities removed and filled with the synthetic thing, which changes the surface of your teeth, the Invisalign will cannot adapt and thus it will crack.

So for traditional retainers vs. Invisalign? Definitely traditional! (Here the Invisalign doesn't change very often - only when you no longer want it or it cracks, etc.)

But for braces vs. Invisalign? (Here, the Invisalign is meant to change the formation of your teeth, so I guess it's to be switched often.) Well, the only pro to Invisalign is that it's transparent. But there are so many cons (see above)! Let me list the cons of braces (that Invisalign may or may not have if you use them as braces):
- They are very awkward. Unless you're in school and your peers all have braces... I think it might be a bit weird. But of course, if you don't mind being stared at for a few seconds when you smile, no worries about this point!
- The metal will sometimes scratch the inside of your mouth, which may tear at the skin a bit (painful).
- Flossing is very, very time-consuming. I think I once wrote an essay during those 1-2 years about how my nightly "teeth" ritual took 20 mins! ;)
- It's always there, so you supposedly couldn't eat candy or chew gum.
- The wire might poke the back of your mouth. You need to have your dentist cut at just at the right length every time (which is every month) - too long, and it'll poke (really uncomfortable), but too short, and the wire will slip out (you'll need to go back to your dentist to get a new wire).

So there you have it! :) I'd vote for the traditional route - metal braces and metal retainers. The memory of the Invisalign left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended). ;)
Some good points.
I'll just add that the lifespan of the invisalign set shouldnt be a concern...In my case, I put in a new set every 2 weeks, so I couldnt care less if they last any longer than that.
And its true, its a pain having to brush all the time after meals before putting them in again....but I suppose my teeth will be all the better for it. :)
The plus for me, is that at least they dont cut the inside of my mouth (although that could happen when the trays are not in...I find the mounts they put on your teeth to be quite sharp).
One other plus for invisalign, is because the trays are so cheap, and you have so many of them, if you lose a set somewhere, its no big deal....you just step up to your next one or back to a previous one. whereas I know ppl with traditional, it can be quite a headache to get a replacment.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3786 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
My dentist just quoted me 4K for invisilign. I guess that's a pretty good deal considering what others were paying here. $1800 up front and $200 for every checkup until paid in full. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. As for the traditional braces vs invisilign, I got quotes for braces and they were only a few hundred dollars cheaper than invisilign, so I decided to go for invisilign because I can't stand the look of metal braces when I smile.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
178 upvotes
Western Montreal
My orthodontist felt that invisilign was not ideal for my situation - the results would not be as good and the treatment period would be longer vs traditional braces. I ended up going with ceramic braces for the front teeth and people barely (if at all) noticed I had braces. My treatment ended up being about 12 months with traditional braces.
Invisilign would have been 18-20 months, and about $1500 more.
Definitely no regrets!
Mar 4, 2014
2 posts
epik89 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2012 3:39 pm
Invisalign is only available if your teeth originally isnt totally messed and just needs some minor alignment.

If you have very bad crooked teeth you'll have to get the wired braces for sure.
If you have really crooked teeth, you can still go with Invisalign, you just have to find someone who specializes in Invisalign. I shopped around and 3 out of 4 said my teeth were too crooked. Eventually, I found someone who had a lot of experience with it and did require me to remove 4 teeth, one from each side, top and bottom. In total, it will take me 22 months, I only have 5 months left, but I'm already really happy with my results.

Downside, if you snack a lot like me, it's just annoying to have to take the braces off before you eat....every time.