Page 1 of 1

Teething = Hard Times

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 10:12 am
by frankyflwrs
My 8 month old baby girl started some serious "irritability" this week....I couldn't figure it out until my wife said her upper two teeth were coming out. Ohhhhh...ok that explains everything. It seems I forgot about her attitude when her first two bottom teeth "erupted" last month.

Any advice on how to handle her pain/irritability?

I've done some research online already...so just wondering if anyone has additional tips.

Thanks

Re: Teething = Hard Times

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 10:55 am
by r1lee
My daughter is the worse when it comes to teething. Nothing bothers her but that.

If your daughter is irritable, try soaking a towal in cold water (ring and put in freezer for a few min) and letting her munch on that or other teething toys.

If she's developing a fever, I would recommend Tylenol for infants. Advil for infants doesn't work as well (in my experience).

You also have the option of Anbesol for infants that does the trick pretty well. If you want to go the homeopathic way, there is teething gel made from Chamomilla. HYland's teething Gel is the name.

We also tried our own mixture which seemed to work. The only place I was able to find it was at Loblaws. It's small purple vile containing little round shaped Chamomilla pellets. It is 30ch (not the 7ch) and mix about 6-10 pellets within a small dish of water (20-30ml). Let it dissolve and you can use a syringe and squirt it in her mouth. Put the remaining back in the fridge for later use.

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 11:01 am
by a63ga78aa
I should have bought stocks in Camilia, available at SDM, Loblaws and health food stores. It was great for teething pain.

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 11:56 am
by frankyflwrs
r1lee wrote: We also tried our own mixture which seemed to work. The only place I was able to find it was at Loblaws. It's small purple vile containing little round shaped Chamomile pellets. It is 30ch (not the 7ch) and mix about 6-10 pellets within a small dish of water (20-30ml). Let it dissolve and you can use a syringe and squirt it in her mouth. Put the remaining back in the fridge for later use.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 12:09 pm
by r1lee
frankyflwrs wrote: Thanks!

it was difficult to find as it was not available at all loblaws. The one i found it at was 427 and Burnamthorpe. I don't know exactly where you are, but when i get home i'll take a quick picture of it.

btw, i meant to say Chamomilla not Chamomile haha. This is exactly what it looks like, but its purple/pinkish.

http://www.abacohealth.com/index.php/prodid/BOI016

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 1:24 pm
by willdacanucker
wirebound wrote: I should have bought stocks in Camilia, available at SDM, Loblaws and health food stores. It was great for teething pain.

+1 We tried tonnes of different things on our 2 kids. When we got the Camilia, HUGE difference. Worth every single cent.

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 1:45 pm
by frankyflwrs
r1lee wrote: btw, i meant to say Chamomilla not Chamomile haha. This is exactly what it looks like, but its purple/pinkish.

http://www.abacohealth.com/index.php/prodid/BOI016

ya that's what I thought....lol.

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 6:08 pm
by Amanda_A
We used Hyland's Teething tablets, they were the only thing that seemed to soothe our savage beast. Unfortunately, they seem to have been recalled recently! Thankfully, we never had any issues with them (and the recall was voluntary and no conclusive link to negative reactions had been found), Hylands also has Chamomilla tablets.

I wouldn't recommend the gel type treatments, it's difficult to pinpoint the source of where to place it, and babies tend to be too fussy and end up getting it on their tongues, which numbs them and can't be pleasant. We bought one of those frozen fruit strainer/pop things from Shoppers Drug Mart. You stick a chunk of frozen banana in it and they can suck on it (mesh stops them from getting too much fruit in their mouths), our son was a big fan of those.

Posted: Apr 13th, 2011 8:15 pm
by KCO
I also recommend the mesh fresh food feeder - if you make your own baby food you will have lots of frozen food in the freezer, or you could put some jarred food in an ice cube tray to place in the feeder. Or you could do frozen banana as the previous poster recommended, or grapes, really anything they like. I have been giving my son a cube of food at every meal to chew on to help numb/soothe his teething pain. It definately helps for the time being, but I don't know that it will have lasting effects. When his first teeth came in he was so miserable, I ended up freezing breastmilk in cubes and let him chew on them in the feeder all day long.