Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Teksavvy - Activation and Move Fees

I'm currently shopping for an ISP (moving from a Condo which had Rogers included, to a house without) and I was on the phone with a CSR from Teksavvy this morning to get some info on their cable internet services.

According to them, both the $44.95 activation fee and the $65 "move fee" (say you move and decide to bring Teksavvy with you to the new address) are charged because they are passed on from the wholesaler (Rogers).

Can anyone confirm if that is indeed the case (especially the "move fee")?

Thanks.
16 replies
Dec 30, 2007
655 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:05 pm
I'm currently shopping for an ISP (moving from a Condo which had Rogers included, to a house without) and I was on the phone with a CSR from Teksavvy this morning to get some info on their cable internet services.

According to them, both the $44.95 activation fee and the $65 "move fee" (say you move and decide to bring Teksavvy with you to the new address) are charged because they are passed on from the wholesaler (Rogers).

Thanks.

Why don't you ask for new account at new location rather than transferring current account. Then in that case you have to pay only the activation fee.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
leafnation5 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:18 pm
Why don't you ask for new account at new location rather than transferring current account. Then in that case you have to pay only the activation fee.

Because according to Teksavvy, Rogers won't allow it, because they'll see that I'm the same person at a different address. And since I'm single, I don't have the option of using my spouse/partner's name.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1845 posts
97 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:24 pm
Because according to Teksavvy, Rogers won't allow it, because they'll see that I'm the same person at a different address. And since I'm single, I don't have the option of using my spouse/partner's name.

Wait a minute, youre not making sense here. So your current condo its included? But under your name? If its under your name then yeah, you can't move and change without the move fee. You're currently an internet subscriber with Rogers? When does your contract end?

If you're not currently on the contract at your current residence then I suspect the CSR at Tek just misunderstood your situation and you didn't explain it right.

I would personally do this:
-move into new home
-call teksavvy and say, "hey I just moved into my new home, I want your service!"
- if and when they charge you this move fee, call and complain and get it credited. Problem solved.
Jul 8, 2011
182 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks.

Yes
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
yes this charge is justified.
the way it is setup with gas and tpia every connection from tsi is a purchased and rented line on agreement.
therefore every connection is looked at as an order not as a customer on paper. there is no way for tsi to let rogers know its the same customer or a move.
all tsi can do is put in a new order and rogers see a tpia install order with a number.
every order placed has an install charge or move charge applied depending on scenario becuase tsi has to pay the tech that is dispatched from rogers to do the install and well those ppl doing all the leg work on paper don't work for free.

on the other hand the bonus to tsi is a much much better ip transit and a cheaper service with a larger cap on no contract. think of it as the pay as you go of internet.
rogers and bell would love to have the same sales model across the board with all competitors under them to use these soft contract style pricing but thank god the independants and not just tsi even offer what they do.
i know it sucks to pay those fees but it would suck even harder if the alternative services from providers like tsi never existed.

this is the problem when huge monopolies are heavily entrenched. they can waive dryloop fees, install fees, activation fees and move fees as a way to advertise and say..."oh your not a rogers/bell customer so i can't do that" or "i cant touch that cuz your not a bell/rogers customer.. if you were you wouldnt have to pay for that and i can do that" or "we don't have those charges here at bell/rogers" or the installers will just blatently leave you flyers and special offer pamphlets after the install is done.

my suggestion is to stick to your guns and stay off rogers or bell and pay the fee. if you continue to support our independant isps as a paying customer in turn they can stay alive and continue our fight for us with the crtc where the real problems lie.
and hopefully there will be changes made to tpia and gas rules that can change or eliminate all these extra dipping fees.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cyphon21 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:30 pm
Wait a minute, youre not making sense here. So your current condo its included? But under your name? If its under your name then yeah, you can't move and change without the move fee. You're currently an internet subscriber with Rogers? When does your contract end?

If you're not currently on the contract at your current residence then I suspect the CSR at Tek just misunderstood your situation and you didn't explain it right.

I would personally do this:
-move into new home
-call teksavvy and say, "hey I just moved into my new home, I want your service!"
- if and when they charge you this move fee, call and complain and get it credited. Problem solved.

My current situation in my current condo isn't really that pertinent to the story - it was just backstory.

What I'm concerned with is whether these miscellaneous fees are really passed along by Teksavvy (i.e. they originate from Rogers), or if they're actually a cash grab by Teksavvy and they're just blaming it on Rogers.

Note that Teksavvy gives you a break on the activation fee if you buy a cable modem direct from them. But if the activation fee is really out of their control then how are they able to offer the break? That's why I'm a bit suspicious. I suppose they could just be shifting the cost from one revenue line to another.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 4:11 pm
My current situation in my current condo isn't really that pertinent to the story - it was just backstory.

What I'm concerned with is whether these miscellaneous fees are really passed along by Teksavvy (i.e. they originate from Rogers), or if they're actually a cash grab by Teksavvy and they're just blaming it on Rogers.

Note that Teksavvy gives you a break on the activation fee if you buy a cable modem direct from them. But if the activation fee is really out of their control then how are they able to offer the break? That's why I'm a bit suspicious. I suppose they could just be shifting the cost from one revenue line to another.
no there is an actual charge to tsi from rogers which then tsi passes to you.
Sep 4, 2007
108 posts
7 upvotes
Where did you get the 65$ moving fee from? I believe their moving fee is 19.99$.
Sep 30, 2006
238 posts
4 upvotes
nadita wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2011 2:07 pm
Where did you get the 65$ moving fee from? I believe their moving fee is 19.99$.

The fee for a move on their Cable service is listed as $65 -- http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp (Cable section).

It's not listed on their site, but Canada Computers sells a package for $99 where you get a DCM425 modem, one month of free Extreme service ($42.95) and they waive the activation fee. Based on previous information posted, you might not get around the $65 but can at least get a decent deal.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
infamouskid wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:59 pm
yes this charge is justified.
the way it is setup with gas and tpia every connection from tsi is a purchased and rented line on agreement.
therefore every connection is looked at as an order not as a customer on paper. there is no way for tsi to let rogers know its the same customer or a move.
all tsi can do is put in a new order and rogers see a tpia install order with a number.
every order placed has an install charge or move charge applied depending on scenario becuase tsi has to pay the tech that is dispatched from rogers to do the install and well those ppl doing all the leg work on paper don't work for free.

on the other hand the bonus to tsi is a much much better ip transit and a cheaper service with a larger cap on no contract. think of it as the pay as you go of internet.
rogers and bell would love to have the same sales model across the board with all competitors under them to use these soft contract style pricing but thank god the independants and not just tsi even offer what they do.
i know it sucks to pay those fees but it would suck even harder if the alternative services from providers like tsi never existed.

this is the problem when huge monopolies are heavily entrenched. they can waive dryloop fees, install fees, activation fees and move fees as a way to advertise and say..."oh your not a rogers/bell customer so i can't do that" or "i cant touch that cuz your not a bell/rogers customer.. if you were you wouldnt have to pay for that and i can do that" or "we don't have those charges here at bell/rogers" or the installers will just blatently leave you flyers and special offer pamphlets after the install is done.

my suggestion is to stick to your guns and stay off rogers or bell and pay the fee. if you continue to support our independant isps as a paying customer in turn they can stay alive and continue our fight for us with the crtc where the real problems lie.
and hopefully there will be changes made to tpia and gas rules that can change or eliminate all these extra dipping fees.
Absolutely agree.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Sep 4, 2007
108 posts
7 upvotes
Shaftasaurus wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2011 6:55 pm
The fee for a move on their Cable service is listed as $65 -- http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp (Cable section).

It's not listed on their site, but Canada Computers sells a package for $99 where you get a DCM425 modem, one month of free Extreme service ($42.95) and they waive the activation fee. Based on previous information posted, you might not get around the $65 but can at least get a decent deal.

Oh ok. The move fee for Dry Loop DSL is 19.99.
May 9, 2010
75 posts
toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2011 12:24 pm

how do they see that you're the same person? you could be a different person with the same name. and what if you're the same person but you just want to get internet at two different locations? doesnt make any sense.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
zev wrote:
Jul 25th, 2011 8:38 am
how do they see that you're the same person? you could be a different person with the same name. and what if you're the same person but you just want to get internet at two different locations? doesnt make any sense.

wrong rogers does not see you as the same customer. their tpia dept handles this type of stuff. to them on paper you are TPIA #xxxxxxxxxx the scope of the customer details are very limited and going any further past that info is not required by them to do the job. rogers can however see what rogers service and how many services from rogers are already at that location and who is the account holder. but in terms of a customer order from a 3rd party isp that's all they see.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1167 posts
15 upvotes
This is gouging:

"Activation fee = $44.95, Save $20 with a modem purchase!"

Why is there a fee and where do they get that number?

I can see a moving fee since they have to do work transferring things around but to just activate it? What if you already have Cable internet? So, you have to pay an extra $45 when you are probably being charged extra already? :(
× < >