Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1180 posts
17 upvotes

Teksavvy and DSL problems

I'm not blaming Teksavvy but I am hoping some Teksavvy and other DSL customers read this.

I find the initial setup connection to be a PITA and this is the 2nd time I had problems with the initial connection when using DSL. Ironically, the Bell connection I had (for brief period of time) went relatively smoothly. Hmmm...

This connection is in an apartment and it's at a relative's and I'm the only one who has some clue about this stuff so whatever I know is basically it. Therefore, I'm under pressure to get this fixed. Rogers is subscribed to right now and I want to drop them. But, the connection works and is stable except the price sucks. The cap is like 20 or 25GB but I guess we're going over it because the bill keeps going up. I want to eliminate this situation.

Anyway, I had problems getting Teksavvy connected but the speed is 1.5 MB/s. This is no good. I was told by a Tech there is some inteference on my end (i.e. upstream). The modem is a TP-Link 8816. I was told to try another modem. The telephone cable is brand new. The modem is also brand new. I don't have another modem and don't know anyone who has an extra one to spare or loan.

I should have 2.5MB/s download speed, min. It shouldn't be any lower than that. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations.

I could force or insist that Teksavvy open a ticket. I am inclined to think it's a Bell-related problem. I have a hard time thinking the modem is to blame even if it's not a top-of-the-line modem. I was looking for a Speedtouch modem but to pay over $40 with no guarantee of an improved result? What should I do?

The only other thing to note is that this is a Dry Loop VOIP situation with Vonage phone. I know that is not a problem or issue because I had both Bell and Teksavvy before that working fine at 2.5Mb/s with the same Dry Loop internet/phone (VOIP) situation. It was switched to Rogers a while ago because of a move.

I can't really do much about the demarc (it's an appt.) and so I have to figure out whether a modem switch will work or if there's another issue on my end. Should I insist on getting them to open a ticket and get Bell to look at it?

Any ideas of what to do?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3339 posts
147 upvotes
Thornhill
if you can login to the modem and get line stats. I think that tplink modem will work with dmt (check dslr).

Teksavvy will only have a bell techie come on out but I don't know about apartments. I know for homes, anything up to the demarc point outside is bell's problem, beyond the demarc is ours. If they find the problem to be on our side of the demarc then it is our responsibility to repair it.

Without stats it is hard to tell where the problem lies. It could be you are too far from the CO or your wires/connectors in your apartment (the entire building) is crappy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1180 posts
17 upvotes
mau108 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2010 8:05 pm
if you can login to the modem and get line stats. I think that tplink modem will work with dmt (check dslr).

Teksavvy will only have a bell techie come on out but I don't know about apartments. I know for homes, anything up to the demarc point outside is bell's problem, beyond the demarc is ours. If they find the problem to be on our side of the demarc then it is our responsibility to repair it.

Without stats it is hard to tell where the problem lies. It could be you are too far from the CO or your wires/connectors in your apartment (the entire building) is crappy.
My relative moved from one of the apts to another in the same building. This was a while ago but the speeds was avg or at least usable so it was about 2.5mbps. So okay, not great.

Where do I get the line stats?
EDIT: I THINK I FOUND IT?:
Line State: Showtime
Modulation: G.DMT
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 16.0 6.0 db
Line Attuation 63.5 31.5
Data Rate 1728 704 kbps

Does that mean anything?

I think it's about 3km to 3.5km away from the CO. So, I don't think this is the issue. I believe it's something I have no control over. I just can't illustrate or prove it. If I'm wrong, I don't want to fight with Bell, though, over being charged. But, I had a problem before when I initially set up DSL and it was determined it was a line problem that Bell had to deal with. So, I'm inclined to go by experience.

Since this is an apt. and not a house, it's much more of a pain to troubleshoot line problems and checking demarc issues is not a useful option. I prefer to blame Bell and see what happens. But, if there is anything I can check or try before I insist on getting Bell to look at it, I'm willing to try.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14101 posts
16896 upvotes
User/Pass: admin/admin

Under status page at the bottom it shows:
SNR Margin
Line Attenuation
Data Rate

These are your lines stats. Post the info next to these

edit: nvm I see you found it by the time I posted it.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14101 posts
16896 upvotes
I don't know much about signal stats so you should try posting your stats in this TS forum you will get a reply within minutes:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

However, I think your downstream line attenuation is extremely high. Which as I understand is not a good thing.

Post in that forum you can get some great help really quickly.

Here are my line stats which I was told are very good:
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Apr 12th, 2010 8:20 pm
My relative moved from one of the apts to another in the same building. This was a while ago but the speeds was avg or at least usable so it was about 2.5mbps. So okay, not great.

Where do I get the line stats?
EDIT: I THINK I FOUND IT?:
Line State: Showtime
Modulation: G.DMT
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 16.0 6.0 db
Line Attuation 63.5 31.5
Data Rate 1728 704 kbps

Does that mean anything?

I think it's about 3km to 3.5km away from the CO. So, I don't think this is the issue. I believe it's something I have no control over. I just can't illustrate or prove it. If I'm wrong, I don't want to fight with Bell, though, over being charged. But, I had a problem before when I initially set up DSL and it was determined it was a line problem that Bell had to deal with. So, I'm inclined to go by experience.

Since this is an apt. and not a house, it's much more of a pain to troubleshoot line problems and checking demarc issues is not a useful option. I prefer to blame Bell and see what happens. But, if there is anything I can check or try before I insist on getting Bell to look at it, I'm willing to try.
SNR Margin 16.0 6.0 db ---- your noise margin is good. anything above and under 20 is normal. anything below 7 and above 5 is border line. i am guessing the 16 is your download and 6 is your upload?? try taking a screenshot so we have a better idea of what i am looking at.

Line Attuation 63.5 31.5 ---- attenuation is not looking good. anything above 55 is fringe. you can expect some issues with service with attenuation like this. 20 to 45 is normal.
Data Rate 1728 704 kbps

other things you may want to try...

1.connect the modem to the main demarcation point in your house. this is where the bell phone line enters your home and is then split and distributed to all other jacks in your house.
2.disconnect all phones and devices connected to any jack except the modem.
3.install a pots splitter at the main demarcation jack and isolate 1 jack just for the modem. this is will ensure a clean filtered signal to the modem and also eliminate any noise carried over all that copper travelling throughout your house. the less distance noise travels on copper the better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1180 posts
17 upvotes
I'm not sure how to post a screenshot of the stats. I'm in an apartment, though. House + demarc etc. etc. doesn't apply so I can't do all that.
× < >