Computers & Electronics

TekSavvy FTTN vs Start.ca FTTN (In General a bunch of questions related to FTTN)

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2014 6:59 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 19, 2013
1 posts

TekSavvy FTTN vs Start.ca FTTN (In General a bunch of questions related to FTTN)

Hey everyone, i have a few questions about FTTN with either TekSavvy or Start.ca... I've noticed Marc the CEO of TekSavvy active here and at other forums so Marc, if you're here, and you could help me out, that would be great!

Anyways, so i'm looking to switch to FTTN at my place. (Mississauga, Ontario) I know it is available according to Start.ca and Teksavvy's websites. At the moment we are suffering badly on Rogers cable with crap speeds and POS modems and the usual crap with them, so i'm trying to go away from cable altogether to FTTN/FTTH, which seems to be the future of internet in Canada, and rightfully so. OK, so my first question, is Teksavvy's FTTN advertised as "High Speed DSL" ? Thats what im assuming since regular DSL cant reach 25/10 or 50/10. But if Tek's is just DSL with no fiber, it's a no go for me, whereas start's service is advertised as "FTTN"

So what i'm looking for is preferably a 25/10 connection. Teksavvy's is the cheapest at $39,95CDN/month, vs start's $49,95CDN. What i'm after here, is how good is FTTN compared to cable? (i really hope it's better than rogers congestion) , How is Teksavvy's service vs starts service? Do either of them have dry-loop fees? (we only use cell phones here) And we would like to keep rogers cable tv, so would that be possible as well?

Now, about modem rental fees... We would prefer to rent the modem, but if a purchase is required, we shall comply... I assume both Teksavvy & Start deploy the Sagemcom modem for 25/10 and 50/10, correct? Does Teksavvy offer a rental option? Does start? Do any of you know of a good place to buy a cheap sagemcom? (The $130 charged by Tek/Bell is a bit steep)

Bottom line, unless service on Start.ca is OMG OMG SO MUCH BETTER than Teksavvy, we would prefer to go with Teksavvy because its cheaper, but if the service is crap on tek, we'll pay extra for start.ca, or maybe just go with 15/10 on start. Thats better than Cable 6/256kb lol.

My final question, how can you tell how far your house is from the node? (or can you?)

Thanks for your time in answering my questions!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20187 posts
1469 upvotes
Most of these questions can be answered by checking the respective websites. The service is generally the same across firms, the major difference is customer service. Your DSL has no impact on cable. Generally speaking I find FTTN to be stabler than cable. There is no sure fire way to determine distance to node other than line tests.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14292 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote:
Jun 20th, 2013 11:19 pm
Most of these questions can be answered by checking the respective websites. The service is generally the same across firms, the major difference is customer service. Your DSL has no impact on cable. Generally speaking I find FTTN to be stabler than cable. There is no sure fire way to determine distance to node other than line tests.
Yeap.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
FTTN is a term used for the deployment of the higher xDSL technologies of ADLS2+ and VDSL2.
bell calls it FIBE.
so yes it is classified under "high speed DSL" since it is a dsl technology.
how much better are these service then cable really depends if you can get it and your line quality.
but when you do get it it's rock solid. personally i prefer anything dsl over cable any day for a number of reasons.
to name a few.

stability.
peak time speeds.
latency.
options available from TPIA with dsl such as subnets.
better hardware options.
cheaper and easier to obtain hardware.

jackthecompguy wrote:
Jun 20th, 2013 10:29 pm
Hey everyone, i have a few questions about FTTN with either TekSavvy or Start.ca... I've noticed Marc the CEO of TekSavvy active here and at other forums so Marc, if you're here, and you could help me out, that would be great!

Anyways, so i'm looking to switch to FTTN at my place. (Mississauga, Ontario) I know it is available according to Start.ca and Teksavvy's websites. At the moment we are suffering badly on Rogers cable with crap speeds and POS modems and the usual crap with them, so i'm trying to go away from cable altogether to FTTN/FTTH, which seems to be the future of internet in Canada, and rightfully so. OK, so my first question, is Teksavvy's FTTN advertised as "High Speed DSL" ? Thats what im assuming since regular DSL cant reach 25/10 or 50/10. But if Tek's is just DSL with no fiber, it's a no go for me, whereas start's service is advertised as "FTTN"

So what i'm looking for is preferably a 25/10 connection. Teksavvy's is the cheapest at $39,95CDN/month, vs start's $49,95CDN. What i'm after here, is how good is FTTN compared to cable? (i really hope it's better than rogers congestion) , How is Teksavvy's service vs starts service? Do either of them have dry-loop fees? (we only use cell phones here) And we would like to keep rogers cable tv, so would that be possible as well?

Now, about modem rental fees... We would prefer to rent the modem, but if a purchase is required, we shall comply... I assume both Teksavvy & Start deploy the Sagemcom modem for 25/10 and 50/10, correct? Does Teksavvy offer a rental option? Does start? Do any of you know of a good place to buy a cheap sagemcom? (The $130 charged by Tek/Bell is a bit steep)

Bottom line, unless service on Start.ca is OMG OMG SO MUCH BETTER than Teksavvy, we would prefer to go with Teksavvy because its cheaper, but if the service is crap on tek, we'll pay extra for start.ca, or maybe just go with 15/10 on start. Thats better than Cable 6/256kb lol.

My final question, how can you tell how far your house is from the node? (or can you?)

Thanks for your time in answering my questions!
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
Start and TekSavvy are offering the same FTTN/VDSL2 service, which is still a type of DSL...

I believe Start's price includes dry loop, while TekSavvy's does not. This would partially account for the price difference, and would matter if you don't have a landline/POTS.

TekSavvy only sells the Sagemcom or $130, Start sells it and rents it out as well. There is no option to BYOM yet, so you must buy/rent from TSI/Start.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
ADSL2+ also falls under FTTN.
Scycotic wrote:
Jun 20th, 2013 11:57 pm
Start and TekSavvy are offering the same FTTN/VDSL2 service, which is still a type of DSL...

I believe Start's price includes dry loop, while TekSavvy's does not. This would partially account for the price difference, and would matter if you don't have a landline/POTS.

TekSavvy only sells the Sagemcom or $130, Start sells it and rents it out as well. There is no option to BYOM yet, so you must buy/rent from TSI/Start.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4386 posts
857 upvotes
London
infamouskid wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 12:08 am
ADSL2+ also falls under FTTN.
That is true, I didn't mention it since OP was looking at the 25/10 tier which is VDSL2.
Dec 23, 2008
772 posts
56 upvotes
Guelph
I have heard a lot of good things from Start.ca, while the current reviews about TekSavvy hasn't been so great. I would go with start.ca
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10908 posts
1323 upvotes
Start has excellent customer/technical service. I called in the evening about a cable cut and the time on hold was less than 20 seconds. I came from Acanac where my time on hold tech support was over 3 hours, even in the middle of the day
× < >