None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9831 posts
2968 upvotes
Ottawa

Teksavvy Home Phone

Is anyone using Teksavvy for home phone and if so can you share your experience?

I am looking for a phone plan for my dad who does not need anything fancy and only wants to pay about $25/month. After doing some research, it looks like Teksavvy is probably the best out there, in terms of price and tech support.

My dad is not well-versed in technical issues so I don't want to get him the VoIP stuff. Just a dedicated phone line that works and he would be happy.

I have been on hold with Teksavvy for about 45 minutes now and I guess they are getting quite big. I have never been on hold this long when I called Bell or Rogers. (Primus is another story)
[removed]
15 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4100 upvotes
Ottawa
I've had home phone witht hem for a couple years now. Ported over from Bell.

The whole process was seemless to me, other than the much lower bills. I used to use phone cards for LD calling, now I just use tek's low rates so save me the hassle.

I would not hesitate at all to do it again.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9831 posts
2968 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks Cas. I just got off the phone with a CSR and was told to call back 2 or 3 business days before March 1st and we will set up everything (my dad does not want the phone service to be available until March 1st)

If Teksavvy was to send him paper bills, that would cost him an additional $1/month. I just may ask them to send me an electronic copy to my email address and give him the bill after.

I asked whether they can waive the $25 activation fee because my dad is a senior and was told No. At least I tried.
[removed]
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4100 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:20 pm
Thanks Cas. I just got off the phone with a CSR and was told to call back 2 or 3 business days before March 1st and we will set up everything (my dad does not want the phone service to be available until March 1st)

If Teksavvy was to send him paper bills, that would cost him an additional $1/month. I just may ask them to send me an electronic copy to my email address and give him the bill after.

I asked whether they can waive the $25 activation fee because my dad is a senior and was told No. At least I tried.

About the bills, not sure if it's an option you would entertain but I have my bill emailed to me and the amount is automatically deducted from my CC every month. I would never do that with Bell, but with Tek I have not had any problems so far. Although I realise that's not for everyone.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1219 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
canabiz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:06 pm
I have been on hold with Teksavvy for about 45 minutes now and I guess they are getting quite big. I have never been on hold this long when I called Bell or Rogers. (Primus is another story)
really? i was on the phone with them just a few days around this time of day and was on hold no more than 10mins, less probably. you just got unlucky i guess :P
Cas77 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:09 pm
The whole process was seemless to me, other than the much lower bills. I used to use phone cards for LD calling, now I just use tek's low rates so save me the hassle.
do they have any connection fees or any other fees when calling long distance?
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4100 upvotes
Ottawa
pete_rfd wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:49 pm

do they have any connection fees or any other fees when calling long distance?

I'm not on any plan. They do have one for $20 unl North America.

I just pay for what I use and it's 2.9 cents/min Can&US and 4 cents/min for Europe. With no other fees.
Aug 7, 2010
207 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
had teksavvy internet since 2003

just switched phone from bell to teksavvy recently.....lowered monthly fee and they just charged that $25 activation fee (which is made back within couple months from savings)

no problems whatsoever....and yeah as per being on hold for that duration is unheard of, i called couple weeks ago regarding UBB noise and got thru within a minute

love the fact that its not VOIP :)
Nov 29, 2006
12 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I have no problem of using both Teksavvy Home phone and internet service. I heard they will launch VOIP phone service soon! Hope I can cut my phone bill even further as I don't use my home phone very much.
Dec 16, 2006
541 posts
81 upvotes
North of GTA
I've been with them for a couple of years for home phone.
They email me an invoice, and a second one telling me they're charging my cc.
Long distance is cheap enough so I don't have a ld plan.

I've never had a problem/complaint/overcharge.

So in January they became my ISP - I had to contact support a couple of times but 5 or 6 minutes was all I waited.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1454 posts
52 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:20 pm
Is he already with Bell? If not, you might want to call sooner than 2-3 days, unless they've been able to shorten the time it takes Bell to set things up for them, which they might have. My switch from Bell to Teksavvy went through with no downtime, but when I ordered it for my grandmother who moved to a new place, the confirmation email said it could take up to 10 business days from the time ordered and billed, and it took 11, meaning she was without a phone for half a month. That was a year ago though, and again, they might have changed it, but it'd be worth checking out if he for sure needs the phone connected by March 1st.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9831 posts
2968 upvotes
Ottawa
iheartpepsi wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 6:38 pm
Is he already with Bell? If not, you might want to call sooner than 2-3 days, unless they've been able to shorten the time it takes Bell to set things up for them, which they might have. My switch from Bell to Teksavvy went through with no downtime, but when I ordered it for my grandmother who moved to a new place, the confirmation email said it could take up to 10 business days from the time ordered and billed, and it took 11, meaning she was without a phone for half a month. That was a year ago though, and again, they might have changed it, but it'd be worth checking out if he for sure needs the phone connected by March 1st.

Thanks for the tip. He does not have a phone now (was with Primus before but he disconnected last year). I will call Teksavvy about 5 business days prior to March 1st, that should take care of business.

Cas, I am thinking of getting Teksavvy to put the monthly amount on my CC as well (to get some points). My dad will simply give me the cash each month. Save some hassles.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
23 upvotes
im thinking of going over to them as well as I pay about 75 a month for internet and phone from rogers..
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18663 posts
3278 upvotes
GTA West
cas77 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 1:09 pm
i've had home phone witht hem for a couple years now. Ported over from bell.

The whole process was seemless to me, other than the much lower bills. I used to use phone cards for ld calling, now i just use tek's low rates so save me the hassle.

I would not hesitate at all to do it again.

+1 agree

DEATH TO BELL CANADA

LONG LIVE TEKSAVVY!
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9296 posts
2281 upvotes
Wish this option would be available in Vancouver too soon.

Tho I guess now with Wind/Mobilicity, you might as well just have the cell.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
My switch from Rogers Home Phone to Teksavvy will happen in a month. I'm also switching from Rogers internet to Teksavvy DSL (no cable available in Kitchener yet).

During the call, they stated that when Rogers connected my phone, they would have modified the wiring for their digital service. This will need to be reconnected as it was for analog service. They said any electrician would know what needs to be done, or I could have the Bell technician do it at a cost of $110 for the first connection and $65 for any additional. They weren't very specific, so I'm wondering if anyone knows, or has a link to exactly what needs to be done to change this back to analog. Links with pictures would be great. I'm assuming this is in the Bell box outside the house.

I know I will have to reconnect the line coming into the house to the internal lines. This was cut, and is sitting in the basement still.