Tags:
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
332 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Teksavvy Modem?

HI Guys

Looking to save a few bucks on a Teksavvy Modem but I'm not sure what is compatible with what I want.

I'm about to sign up for this plan

High Speed DSL 25

I'm looking for the modem that would work well with this and not limit my speed.

I have an old modem from Bell that I've used on Tekssavvy. Ive posted a picture. Would this be sufficient enough for what I'm about to buy? Or do I have to get another modem altogether.

Could someone please help direct me on some kijiji links as to what I might need to look for?

Thanks!
Images
  • teskavvy].JPG
12 replies
Dec 8, 2008
792 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
That's the old ADSL2 modem from Bell, to use it with Teksavvy back in the day I had to flash the firmware but maybe you can just enter the Teksavvy credentials.

For 25/10 vdsl (what you're getting) you need a VDSL modem, either the newer Bell home hub 1000 (Sagemcom 2864) or 2000, or going on kijijI something like any of the Smart 505 or better Toronto kijijI vdsl modems
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
332 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I was told by teksavvy to get faster speed I have to use Cable instead of DSL.

Does your information apply to the cable modems as well?
How much should I spend on a modem with the Cable 30 or cable 75?

Thanks so much!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12119 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
I think the teksavvy rep meant to say that speeds above 25 Mbps would require signing up for their cable service rather than DSL service.

The bell modem pictured in your post is not a vDSL modem and DSL 25 requires a vDSL modem.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
332 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Hey audit

Thanks for the help.

The rep said that my area is far from a bell building which is why i can only recieve the highest speed of 6 megabits on dsl. Something about the wires still being copper. I had talked to bell to and they said the same thing. I know teksavvy uses bell lines.

He said for higher speeds i would have to get cable. So im thinking of changing to cable but want to get a cheaper modem. 120 seems a lot for one.

What should i be looking for on kijiji?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12119 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
I would find out which cable modems are supported by calling teksavvy or looking on their website, then look for supported models on kijiji, rfd, or Craigslist.
Oct 13, 2014
961 posts
392 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
OP, as stated by Audit13, you really have to go back to Teksavvy or at the least go to their website as there are different requirements. Go to their website and provide your postal code to determine the type of cable plans available. Once you make that determination look at their list of approved modems. This can vary depending on which cable company is providing the base service to Teksavvy. Cogeco will be different than say Shaw or Rogers.

For example Postal Code M5E 1W5, does not mention the Thompson DCM476. For all I know maybe all of Toronto is one company or each district has a different cable company.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24783 posts
2548 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rcmpvet wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:08 am
For example Postal Code M5E 1W5, does not mention the Thompson DCM476. For all I know maybe all of Toronto is one company or each district has a different cable company.
That's a bad example. Generally, areas serviced by Rogers will accept the DCM 476. But you won't find it on the approved modem list. Teksavvy has moved to more advanced modems that offer multiple bonded channels.

If you're subscribing to a lowered tiered service, you can use older modems such as the DCM 476, which you can find for $30 - $50 used.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7587 posts
1193 upvotes
London
Seoulkid wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:27 am
HI Guys

Looking to save a few bucks on a Teksavvy Modem but I'm not sure what is compatible with what I want.

I'm about to sign up for this plan

High Speed DSL 25

I'm looking for the modem that would work well with this and not limit my speed.

I have an old modem from Bell that I've used on Tekssavvy. Ive posted a picture. Would this be sufficient enough for what I'm about to buy? Or do I have to get another modem altogether.

Could someone please help direct me on some kijiji links as to what I might need to look for?

Thanks!
Look for a SR505N at Kijiji, they should be available for around $40.
Oct 13, 2014
961 posts
392 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
Gee wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:45 pm
That's a bad example. Generally, areas serviced by Rogers will accept the DCM 476. But you won't find it on the approved modem list. Teksavvy has moved to more advanced modems that offer multiple bonded channels.

If you're subscribing to a lowered tiered service, you can use older modems such as the DCM 476, which you can find for $30 - $50 used.
I looked again on the Teksavvy site and realized that yesterday I was looking at the list of modems sold by Teksavvy. I missed the list of "approved modems" of which the Technocolor DCM 476 is listed; note - Thompson bought out Technocolor a few years back. However, my original post is still valid, best to contact Teksavvy first to get their "approval" so that one does not waste money on a modem they will not approve.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24783 posts
2548 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rcmpvet wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 6:53 am
I looked again on the Teksavvy site and realized that yesterday I was looking at the list of modems sold by Teksavvy. I missed the list of "approved modems" of which the Technocolor DCM 476 is listed; note - Thompson bought out Technocolor a few years back. However, my original post is still valid, best to contact Teksavvy first to get their "approval" so that one does not waste money on a modem they will not approve.
I know the DCM 476 is on the list because I was with Teksavvy for 7 years and I've used this modem.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1178 posts
24 upvotes
If you're interested i'm switching out from teksavy cable to bell fiber and would be selling my cable modem. PM me