Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Teksavvy

Teksavvy EpicDeal 50MBit DSL $30/Month No Contract

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 12:36 pm
Aug 8, 2018
74 posts
23 upvotes
xt21 wrote: For first 12 months = no good deal.
I generally agree with this. Depending on if you're already in that $30 price range. I'm on a permanent, no contract price of $37.95 for my connection.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
essehh wrote: Teksavvy 25/10 for $30 OR Carrytel 75/10 for $40

I have 3 teenagers in the House with me gaming and netfixing all day/night (is 25/10 enough)
Unfortunately I'm with Bell and have been having frequent drops lasting hrs at a time.... WE R DONE w/ BELL
Im looking to make the switch

Thanks
carrytel is $35 a mth for 75Mbps with 3 months free

https://www.carrytel.ca/3mfree.aspx
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
50mbps = real time speed is about what?
May 12, 2012
366 posts
232 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
[/quote]

If you are having a problem with DSL (Bell) then you need to be sure if you switch, get a cable connection if DSL is unreliable in your local area. Don't switch from Bell DSL to a reseller of Bell DSL with a different name, it'll be the same physical connection and same local network.[/quote]
Gboard2 wrote: carrytel is $35 a mth for 75Mbps with 3 months free

https://www.carrytel.ca/3mfree.aspx
Yes I saw that... Thanks
I guess I included the tax.... when the diff is $5 + tax and with the DSL problemI will try carrytel

Thanks for the replies
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25718 upvotes
Montreal
essehh wrote: Teksavvy 25/10 for $30 OR Carrytel 75/10 for $40 I have 3 teenagers in the House with me gaming and netfixing all day/night (is 25/10 enough) Unfortunately I'm with Bell and have been having frequent drops lasting hrs at a time.... WE R DONE w/ BELL
Im looking to make the switch Thanks

Try it first. People always think they need more than what they actually do.

If it's obviously not enough, it will always be possible to upgrade.

I guaranty the company will accept to sell you more. :)
Jun 3, 2012
40 posts
16 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
virgin also has the same deal for 12 months offer ends 15 october in quebec
Sep 4, 2014
94 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DSL service (via Acanac, aka Distributel) has been down for more than a day already. No ETA in sight and usual bs from tech support. Need to find an alternative. Have a few questions, and would much appreciate any answers. I am in Oakville area (Bell/Cogeco land), gaming + netflix consumption.

(1) Many bad comments for tech-savvy in this thread. Besides Cannet/ Carrytel, what are the other options for reliable, reasonably priced, ok customer service 50/10 DSL service? currently paying $54 with Acanac.

(2) Is there a way to check cable congestion by postal code. Always considered to switch to cable but need low latency for gaming.
Nov 19, 2016
80 posts
37 upvotes
tmp2000 wrote: DSL service (via Acanac, aka Distributel) has been down for more than a day already. No ETA in sight and usual bs from tech support. Need to find an alternative. Have a few questions, and would much appreciate any answers. I am in Oakville area (Bell/Cogeco land), gaming + netflix consumption.

(1) Many bad comments for tech-savvy in this thread. Besides Cannet/ Carrytel, what are the other options for reliable, reasonably priced, ok customer service 50/10 DSL service? currently paying $54 with Acanac.
I tried a couple of other providers, but I am very satisfied with Execulink Execulink. They are a reseller outside of their home area, (Woodstock, ON), but they resell most of southern Ontario. Great customer service 24/7 and they always call back. A little pricer that TekSavy/Carrytel etc, but not that muck more. But to know you can actually talk or chat to someone without getting the BS delaying tactics is worth it. They also work with, in my case DSL, Bell to trouble shoot the problem with having them on conference call when talking to them. Just a suggestion
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2003
1249 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
sks8100 wrote: I’m not a fan of teksavvy anymore especially after my last ordeal. I was with them for almost 8 years and they treated me like I was a new customer off the street. If their strategy is just to buy wholesale and resell at a slightly cheaper retail price with zero value for customers then count me out...Quite frankly for a company who doesn’t value customers, I don’t feel bad for their struggles at all
chaos1105 wrote: Left Teksavvy years ago. Pricing not competitive, poor customer service and super long wait times on the phone.
apvm wrote: Virgin if I were you, left Teksavvy two years ago, ever since the former ceo passed on the business to his brother, Teksavvy is going downhill, no longer the Teksavvy it used to be.
lovethesales wrote: We've had TekSavvy for the last week. We've had it drop service 3 days now. This is horrible. We were previously with Beanfield (Toronto) but they unfortunately don't service our new house.
deepfunkysoul wrote: Teksavvy has been dead for years. Oversold service at shitty prices. Flush and repeat.
I've scheduled my cable internet cancellation with Teksavvy after being a long-time customer. Nary a question of why I'm leaving or any attempt in retaining a customer. They must know all the reasons why already, or they don't care. Either way, good riddance to a shitty company.

I moved to a different ISP who offers faster speeds at lower prices, using the SAME cable line. It's a no brainer.
Last edited by Praetorian on Oct 12th, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
tmp2000 wrote: DSL service (via Acanac, aka Distributel) has been down for more than a day already. No ETA in sight and usual bs from tech support. Need to find an alternative. Have a few questions, and would much appreciate any answers. I am in Oakville area (Bell/Cogeco land), gaming + netflix consumption.

(2) Is there a way to check cable congestion by postal code. Always considered to switch to cable but need low latency for gaming.
Start.ca
May 25, 2008
228 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
We have been with Teksavvy for years and moved up speeds over the years to 25/10. This is the maximum that we can get from teksavvy in our area. We decided to try cable via cannettel and it was horrible. We still had the dsl connected and could compare the differences. My sons do game and the latency was too much on the cable that they would get kicked from games or the pages would timeout. We never got that on dsl consistently. Canceled the cable and discovered that virgin will install the 50/10 so have them coming Friday to install so we will see..

Maybe once we have the higher line installed we can change to another similar deal in 12 months.

We are in an older neighbourhood and the cable line was put in new so the issue was not from the pole to the house. It is possible the cable is oversubscribed in our area and when we showed cannettel our horrible stats (3000) dripped packers while watching videos in 30 minutes they didn’t thing it was a big deal. Likely they just don’t care.

I tried to get my parents a faster service in the country and all they have is 6/1 dsl and no option for cable. Teksavvy was good and are now billing them $20/month for their service so that was a benefit.

Anyone ever tried doing a bonded dsl line on the client side. Apparently ir might be possible to join 2 dsl lines to get more speed that you get with one line.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2575 posts
1757 upvotes
Any good DSL deals for Mississauga?

Rogers has been trying to fix a cable issue in my neighborhood for a month now.... in the meantime I'm paying 67.99$/mo before tax on their 500M service.

As far as I know, 50M is the fastest DSL service I can get in my area. Any deals going on? (Preferably one lets me use the modem in bridge mode, and doesn't increase in price after a year)
Jun 28, 2018
215 posts
115 upvotes
I got CIK match this offer. 50/10M for year with $29.9/month.
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
sdycxg wrote: I got CIK match this offer. 50/10M for year with $29.9/month.
With a free dual band router too?
Jun 28, 2018
215 posts
115 upvotes
Yes, No retal fee. Actually, it belongs to CIK but they never ask me to return the old one when I got a new modem+wireless router.
Aug 8, 2018
74 posts
23 upvotes
tmp2000 wrote: (2) Is there a way to check cable congestion by postal code. Always considered to switch to cable but need low latency for gaming.
+1, this is one of the most misunderstood issues with internet connectivity. It isn't just how big your connection is, latency is as important as any other factor. You can have a nice, fast 50 or 100 meg download connection, but if latency is high because traffic gets congested on their backbone, you'll be experiencing a lot of youtube stalls, buffering, and poor connection quality.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer you can easily try out alternate DNS servers to see if its just how your connection finds others, or you can use a VPN if you want to try and route connection from a different network to see if performance improves. But regardless, latency is constantly a problem for many.

Latency is never mentioned in high speed advertisements for a reason, but it is every bit as important as bandwidth. I'd rather have a low latency 10Mbps connection than a frequently high-latency 50Mbps connection. It isn't all about the raw bandwidth, its how congested the backbone network it connects to gets. That creates more latency, which degrades speed.
Nov 26, 2008
329 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Was with teksavvy for over 7 years total,

Recent location I lived in the past 2 years, kept dropping, to the point it would drop 2-3x a week, cut things short, no solution or remedy,

Switched to carrytel and never looked back, also saving $5/mo + 3mo free promo and with 75/10 cable, vs 25/10 DSL,

Difference is now 9.2 MB/S on Steam downloads vs 1.8 mb/s on Teksavvy
Aug 8, 2018
74 posts
23 upvotes
l42boz wrote: We have been with Teksavvy for years and moved up speeds over the years to 25/10. This is the maximum that we can get from teksavvy in our area. We decided to try cable via cannettel and it was horrible. We still had the dsl connected and could compare the differences. My sons do game and the latency was too much on the cable that they would get kicked from games or the pages would timeout. We never got that on dsl consistently. Canceled the cable and discovered that virgin will install the 50/10 so have them coming Friday to install so we will see..

Maybe once we have the higher line installed we can change to another similar deal in 12 months.

We are in an older neighbourhood and the cable line was put in new so the issue was not from the pole to the house. It is possible the cable is oversubscribed in our area and when we showed cannettel our horrible stats (3000) dripped packers while watching videos in 30 minutes they didn’t thing it was a big deal. Likely they just don’t care.

I tried to get my parents a faster service in the country and all they have is 6/1 dsl and no option for cable. Teksavvy was good and are now billing them $20/month for their service so that was a benefit.

Anyone ever tried doing a bonded dsl line on the client side. Apparently ir might be possible to join 2 dsl lines to get more speed that you get with one line.
I hadn't even read your post, but PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I was writing about in the last post!

Cable is a more shared connection which leaves more opportunity open for latency during peak hours when lots of people are on. Average people also don't realize, coaxial cable is a copper wire just like old phone lines. It just happens to be shielded, so it has less of a distance issue. Phone lines have the distance issue because traditional phone lines are not shielded copper. But truth be told, unless its fibre to the home, these are both similar technologies.

But again, cable is more shared. When DSL gets into the DSLAM/central office it is a direct link from the fiber node to your home over copper. Coaxial cable (which is what all the cable providers like Shaw, Rogers, Cogeco, etc. use) is a fully shared copper wire with all your neighbors before it gets to the fibre node in your neighborhood. This is often not well understood, and its why a 50Mbps DSL connection can often have faster performance with lower latency than a 150Mbps cable connection.

And as I mentioned, a lot of people talk about DSL as if it hasn't changed since the late 90's when it was introduced. Cable back then was running on DOCSIS 1.0, and you couldn't get more than 10Mbps downloads on those original cable connections from the late 90's when they became available. I don't compare a modern VDSL2 service from Bell to a 1990's first gen Rogers DOCSIS 1 cable service limited to 5 or 10Mbps downloads. Likewise, its unfair to bash DSL today and pretend its like the 1-5Mbps ADSL connections from the late 1990's. VDSL2+ is a wonderful update, just like DOCSIS 3 has made cable competitive.

Latency is of equal importance. Nothing will beat fibre to the home, but given its costliness, its beneficial to understand the technologies better. DSL is a great technology, so is cable. They are great for last leg service still to this day, so long as the cable nodes/DSL DSLAM's are maintained well.

Also, just because coaxial cable is shielded and has less interference over longer distances doesn't mean it doesn't have distance issues. Cable lines still have to install boosters to overcome distance issues. DSL, for example, needs a loop extender (or "booster") at minimum of every 1.2km of line just to keep it working at maximum speeds, but you can theoretically place it every 2-3km and still get a good 10Mbps service to a very remote location outside cities. For lower density populations, Rogers may only need to place a booster every 5-10km, because coaxial cable is shielded and has less interference and less attenuation over longer distances.

Basically, if you're in the business, cable is better for low density populations as it is shielded and can go over longer distances, and the fact cable is shared to the node isn't so much an issue. For high density populations where fiber DSLAM's may only be a few hundred metres from your average home (or in the case of a condo maybe only 50-100 metres), DSL is far superior. You have no sharing of the copper signal with your neighbors and have a direct connection to fibre at the DSLAM/node. And since you're well under DSL attenuation/distance limits, your VDSL2+ connection can easily allow for 50 or 100Mbps connectivity over DSL.

Of course, fibre is always superior and if you can afford it (and Bell or whoever offers it has paid for the infrastructure), get fibre to the home! But if you're a budget shopper, DSL or cable is fine. And much more cost efficient!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
MapleEye wrote: Average people also don't realize, coaxial cable is a copper wire just like old phone lines. It just happens to be shielded, so it has less of a distance issue. Phone lines have the distance issue because traditional phone lines are not shielded copper.
Coax is fundamentally different from twisted pair telephone wires. The physical implementation doesn't matter so much as the bandwidth. Coax has a couple of orders of magnitude more bandwidth than twisted pair wires, but in turn has much less bandwidth than optical fibre.

But for most people latency is not due to the differences between technologies like DSL, coax cable, or optical fibre. They are all very fast between the local node and your house.

Excessive latency typically comes from two sources:

1. Poor routing between you and the IP address you are connecting to. This is a function of the peering arrangements and internet routing algorithms of your ISP, and it can vary substantially between one ISP and another. You have to do a traceroute to see what's going on, and sometimes improvements can be made if you complain to the ISP.

2. Defective chipsets in modems and routers that suffer spikes in latency when their buffers or operations queues are overloaded. For example all current cable modems using the common Intel Puma chipsets have this problem.

If you're interested in how and why DSL and cable internet actually differ, it's mostly historical reasons that don't matter so much these days:

Telephone lines were originally strung individually to each house from the central office because everyone wants to make individual calls, but they only needed 15 KHz of bandwidth to support analog voice calls. Originally ADSL had to deal with distances on the order of km between the central office and your house, so 1.5 mbps was the best they could manage over twisted-pair telephone wires. Twisted pair just can't carry higher frequencies for that much distance without too much signal loss. Advanced technologies like VDSL2 have managed to squeeze 50 mbps and more over twisted pair lines for very short distances, but that required installing high-speed nodes in each neighbourhood with twisted-pair runs to your house of no more than a hundred meters or so, and upgrading any old telephone wiring that had poor connections.

On the other hand cable TV was wired to your house using coax cable because it needed high bandwidth to deliver broadcast TV frequencies. But because everybody was receiving the same TV broadcast, they didn't need to connect an individual line to everybody's house, so they just did a multi-drop from the same shared cable segment. The criteria for how many houses they could put on one cable segment was signal strength - you can only split the signal so many ways before the signal strength gets too low. When cable internet came along, they set aside a large chunk of bandwidth available on the coax cable and dedicated it to internet. It's split up into many individual channels that can be allocated dynamically by your cable modem on demand. That works fine until too many cable modems on one segment demand too many channels at once, exceeding the number available. Then they have to round-robin the available channels between the modems demanding them, and the internet slows down temporarily for everyone on that cable segment. The cable company can fix this by splitting up overloaded cable segments to serve a smaller number of houses from each segment, and they do that on a regular basis as they connect new customers. These days it's much less common to encounter slowdowns on cable internet due to an overloaded local segment, although I'm sure it still happens in some areas. The slowdowns you often see from budget internet providers is not actually due to using shared cable, it's due to them going cheap on their routing arrangements.