• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2014 4:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto

Teksavvy's (TSI) new rCable pricing/packages

I'm surprised no one else has started a thread on this yet (or perhaps my search parameters were off), or maybe I'm late to the party....

Background:
I'm currently a TSI customer on their "Cable 45 Pro" plan (I believe it's rCable 45 down and 5 up), Zap-The-Cap (ZTC = unlimited internet) not activated but have come close to my 300 gig/month limit a couple times (and have considered implementing it)... and this was BEFORE I got my Minix X8-H Android TV box with XBMC for streaming online TV and movies. I pay $56.95/month for this.

Anyways, I stumbled upon this deal for Electronic Box in the hot deals forum, and there's a deal for 60/10 service with 350 gig/month cap for $57.95 (even better, there is the same plan but with 1000 gig cap for $64.95. So I'm thinking to myself "WTF, for $1 more I can get faster internet and a higher cap?" Naturally, I proceed over to TSI's website to see what their pricing is on a 60/10 with 300 gig cap service is and its $59.95/month!.

Furthermore, while browsing the TSI site/plans, it looks like my 45/5 plan is not even offered anymore. The only somewhat-comparable speeds (without downgrading) are 55Mbit for $67.95 or 60Mbit for $59.95 ..... which makes absolutely NO sense to me price-wise.

So, I'm fearing the worst here... is my plan now considered 'grandfathered'? How long will TSI allow me to stay on this service/plan? Will TSI eventually force me to one of their more expensive plans?

I had intentions of enabling ZTC since I recently got my Android TV box, but looking at the pricing structure of Ebox's 60/10 1000 gig plan, it may not be worth it after all, and I should just jump ship to electronic box (especially if I'm going to be forced to switch to a higher tier plan by TSI in the future)

Am I missing something here? I've been with TSI for about 8 years now.... was on their 5/0.5 DSL service until this past March 2014 when I upgraded to the 45/5 rCable (NIGHT AND DAY difference), and their customer service has been great any time there was an issue. I'm wondering if switching to eBox will be worth it from that perspective.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
EBOX does has good reviews and IMO good CS. Their pricing is aggressive

If you can take the speed hit for 6 months, I suggest you jump on the 27,95$ 30/5 1000GB deal and then switch to the 60/10 350 or 1000GB for 57,95$ or 64,95$ respectively. You'll be paying LESS THAN HALF for the first 6 months with a generous cap, which will give you time to see what your cap usage is and figure out if 350GB is enough or not. That is a saving of 174$+tx = 196$ and some change... close to 200$!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Does Electronic Box offer Happy hours like Teksavvy?

Free bandwidth from 2 am to 8 am and unlimited uploads?
You mean a "zap the cap" equivalent? I'm not sure. It definitely isn't advertised if so.

50 extra gigs a month is great, but I have a feeling that it won't be enough for me. Since I installed my android TV box, I've been averaging about 15 gigs downloaded per day

Hence why I might end up sticking with TSI and enabling ZTC on my now grandfathered plan
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38390 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Repooc wrote: You mean a "zap the cap" equivalent? I'm not sure. It definitely isn't advertised if so.

50 extra gigs a month is great, but I have a feeling that it won't be enough for me. Since I installed my android TV box, I've been averaging about 15 gigs downloaded per day

Hence why I might end up sticking with TSI and enabling ZTC on my now grandfathered plan
I am not using Zap The Cap

Teksavvy offers free bandwidth from 2 am to 8 am every day. If you are downloading and using a download manager, set your downloads to start at 2:01 am and it will not count towards your bandwidth bucket

https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... th-2am-8am

I am also on the 45 Meg plan. It is 45 / 4, not 45 / 5