Computers & Electronics

Telephone wiring question. Two line wire?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2010 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.

Telephone wiring question. Two line wire?

I have a VOIP adapter that has two ports on it. Then I have a phone that has two lines, but takes only one single RJ11 jack. Both ports on the adapter have been programmed, and I would like to use both of them on my phone.

The thing is that I know about RJ11 with 2 pairs, so it should work fine, but the problem is that I don't want (know) how to make my own. Is there an adapter that has one plug with 2 pairs coming from two plugs with 1 pair on each? Sort of like a Y adapter.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
12 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
Traian2003 wrote: I have a VOIP adapter that has two ports on it. Then I have a phone that has two lines, but takes only one single RJ11 jack. Both ports on the adapter have been programmed, and I would like to use both of them on my phone.

The thing is that I know about RJ11 with 2 pairs, so it should work fine, but the problem is that I don't want (know) how to make my own. Is there an adapter that has one plug with 2 pairs coming from two plugs with 1 pair on each? Sort of like a Y adapter.
k your wording really made no sense. are you asking if you can get 2 lines on one rj11 jack end?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
jason9945 wrote: Yes. I think thats what he is asking for. One 4 wire plug that splits to 2, 2 wire plugs.
That's what I meant... Hard to explain something that I have no idea if it even exists :lol:
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Something like this would likely work.

[IMG]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/trianglecables- ... _252774246[/IMG]

Connect your VOIP lines to L1 and L2. Connect your 2-line phone to the "L1+L2" jack. (Ignore the male connector on the splitter. It wouldn't need to connect to anything.)

Note that most RJ11 splitters (at Home Depot/Rona/Dollar Store) are parallel wired and will simply pass all 4 wires to all jacks on the splitter, which is not what you want, as you know.

The above, as pictured, can also be found as "Leviton C0244".
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
you would still require a phone that can read not just the inner pair on the rj11 end but also the outside pair as well. these are rare to find now since the rise of voip. phones are now going the wireless and Ethernet connection route.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: you would still require a phone that can read not just the inner pair on the rj11 end but also the outside pair as well. these are rare to find now since the rise of voip. phones are now going the wireless and Ethernet connection route.
:confused: Does he not say that he has one in the second line of the post?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
The post is kinda confusing. Not really sure what your trying to do. But if you want two lines why don't you just use a Dual Phone Jack? Wouldnt that be easier..

[IMG]http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/ACW76W.jpg[/IMG]

You can hook that up with one cat5 wire too. Just splice the wires. As long as you use 2 separate colours for each jack it will work just fine.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
Tha DraGun; wrote:The post is kinda confusing. Not really sure what your trying to do. But if you want two lines why don't you just use a Dual Phone Jack? Wouldnt that be easier..

[IMG]http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/ACW76W.jpg[/IMG]

You can hook that up with one cat5 wire too. Just splice the wires. As long as you use 2 separate colours for each jack it will work just fine.
Uhhh he wants to connect his 2 line phone to the two separate lines on his voip adaptor. The adaptor mentioned a few posts ago is what he needs, not whatever your talking about.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes
[quote="fastlayne" post_id="10743021" time="1272565446" user_id="126219"]Something like this would likely work.

[IMG]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/trianglecables- ... _252774246[/IMG]

Use this adaptor with single RJ11 cords from the L1 and L2 female jacks to your ATA. Buy a dollar store telephone male to female extension cord (make sure it has all 4 conductors (Red/Green/Black/Yellow) and plug the male portion of the adapter into the female portion of your extension cord and plug the male end of the extension cord into your phone.
Sep 20, 2004
497 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
What is the Brand and Model# of your phone?

What does the manual say about using the second line on your phone?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: Uhhh he wants to connect his 2 line phone to the two separate lines on his voip adaptor. The adaptor mentioned a few posts ago is what he needs, not whatever your talking about.
Ok, I'll admit I dont know much about phone wiring. He wants to split one telephone wire (which is 2 phone lines) into 2 jacks for his voip. Which that adapter does do. I thought my way might work as well. An alternate way of doing it. I'm wrong then? I didnt realize he has another phone (the reason for the L1+L2 port)

This is what I was thinking:
If he has traditional phone line it will be Red/Green (first line) & Black/Yellow (second line)
If he separated the two sets of colours and put red/green to the top phone jack and black/yellow to the bottom jack would that not work the same? A little neater and no risk of that adapter breaking off. Would that have worked if he didnt have the other phone? I was thinking on doing it for my PC for 2 separate DSL lines.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Ok, I'll admit I dont know much about phone wiring. He wants to split one telephone wire (which is 2 phone lines) into 2 jacks for his voip. Which that adapter does do. I thought my way might work as well. An alternate way of doing it. I'm wrong then? I didnt realize he has another phone (the reason for the L1+L2 port)

This is what I was thinking:
If he has traditional phone line it will be Red/Green (first line) & Black/Yellow (second line)
If he separated the two sets of colours and put red/green to the top phone jack and black/yellow to the bottom jack would that not work the same? A little neater and no risk of that adapter breaking off. Would that have worked if he didnt have the other phone? I was thinking on doing it for my PC for 2 separate DSL lines.
No... He wants to put 2 jacks into one plug for his two line phone.