• Jul 24th, 2007 11:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes

television wall mount on drywall?

Can you put up plasma/lcd tvs with the wallmounts up on a dry wall?

Dry walls don't tend to be strong at all...

I'm looking to put a 19 inch tv up but perhaps even that is too much as well? People who put up wallmounts, do you but it up on walls that are not drywall?

thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
their is no rule here. as long as whatever your putting it on can hold the weight.

behind dry walls you need to find the studs *they go vertically to your roof* also you can buy a stud finder at home depot its very common for less than 10 bux.

so what you do is drill holes in the studs and then mount it.

dry wall is very light and breakable so it wont hold up the weight.

one customer of mine put a 19" tv on his bathroom door i swaere i`ve seen pictures cuz i didnt believe him =0)

so you can put it anywhere as long as it will hold the weight of your tv.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
dont studs tend to be at the corners of your wall along the edges?
If you want to put up a tv in the centre of your wall, what are the options? I'm having a hard time believing my dry wall will be able to old up the weight.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
jadoocian wrote: dont studs tend to be at the corners of your wall along the edges?
Wall studs are all along the wall, vertically; that's how all the drywall panels attach to it. Take a look at the image on this page to see what I mean:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interior ... t_stud.htm

That's an example of wooden studs, but there could be metal too. If you're worried about the weight, invest in a stud finder. I bought a nice one from Home Hardware for $30, that has saved me when I wall mounted my LCD and HTPC. The good ones check for metal, wood, and even electrical current to prevent drilling into wires :D
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
my wall mount is against dry wall holding a pretty heavy 42 inch plasma
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2045 posts
74 upvotes
I am moving to a new house, so i saw how thick and wide the studs are. By the looks of it, they look very steady. As for the drywall, its nothing more than a 5cm thick wall. I suggest not to put anything on the drywall, since it wont hold the weight of your tv.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3674 posts
2028 upvotes
It all depends on what kind of screws you use to mount. Drywall can hold quite a bit. First find out how heavy the item you want to mount is. Then find the appropriate drywall anchor. If you want the absolute securest method then use toggle bolts. These suckers will hold up to 100 lbs EACH depending on the size of the toggle bolt. See here for more information.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inff ... nchor.html
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2045 posts
74 upvotes
jadoocian is the tv a flat panel or a CRT? If its a LCD/Plasma then i think the drywall would hold it. But if your going for a CRT which are usually heavier than lcd/plasma then its better to hand it on your studs. shutterbug also has given an interesting read, so that would be of help. Its best to just do some research on wall mounts and such, since its a one time job. You dont want to end up with holes in your wall.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
thank you everyone for the hints tips and links!

it is going to be a roughly 20 inch plasma/lcd television so shouldnt be too heavy but I figured I'd do somework first anyway since drywall doesn't seem strong to me at all

again thanks for the links. time to go through themall now.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
wisdom_kid wrote: jadoocian is the tv a flat panel or a CRT? If its a LCD/Plasma then i think the drywall would hold it. But if your going for a CRT which are usually heavier than lcd/plasma then its better to hand it on your studs. shutterbug also has given an interesting read, so that would be of help. Its best to just do some research on wall mounts and such, since its a one time job. You dont want to end up with holes in your wall.
It'd be funny to walk into someone's home and see their 35" CRT wall mounted :lol:
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
if it were me, i would never install a tv mount on drywall. Anything that is going to hold more weight than a picture frame should always be mounted into the stud.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
plucky duck wrote: It'd be funny to walk into someone's home and see their 35" CRT wall mounted :lol:
Considering the weight of those 1996 21" CRTs, I would be in awe :D
- Absolute
Apr 23, 2007
913 posts
6 upvotes
Thx for the helpful advice.

Good luck to you jadoocian. Everything should go fine. :)
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
25 upvotes
shutterbug wrote: It all depends on what kind of screws you use to mount. Drywall can hold quite a bit. First find out how heavy the item you want to mount is. Then find the appropriate drywall anchor. If you want the absolute securest method then use toggle bolts. These suckers will hold up to 100 lbs EACH depending on the size of the toggle bolt. See here for more information.
I wouldn't trust toggle bolts no matter what their ratings are. It might hold but you're putting a lot of faith in the drywall. If the mount has an extending arm, even greater forces will be applied to the toggle bolts because of the leverage. It'll probably make a scary crackling sound whenever you move the arm around.

You have to hit a stud with the proper fastener (usually a lag bolt or heavy duty screw). It's the only way to guarantee the TV is still on the wall when you wake up in the morning.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)