• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 9:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2797 posts
1647 upvotes

Tell me about Oakville vs Mississauga

Have a friend that may relocate from Calgary to GTA and looking at renting in these 2 cities as he will work around there.

Can someone tell me pros and cons of each from crime/insurance/quality of life perspective?

Oakville seem like a good place by Moneysense but not sure if that survey is fake news tho. Been to Sauga a few times but other than a few sketchy places in the Dundas/Dixie area seem nice too.
15 replies
Dec 13, 2017
160 posts
116 upvotes
Oakville...cheaper property wise...otherwise it's essentially the same thing
Sep 24, 2006
592 posts
59 upvotes
Guelph, On
Clarkson, Port Credit and border of Oakville like Winston Churchill is nice. Meadowvale and Streetville stay away from too many stabbings, drugs and the stories I heard when we were deciding on moving to Mississauga. I work Dundas and Dixie and its a zoo - traffic is horrible but good access to the bus and Toronto. Oakville is alittle more money when it comes to rent and property taxes plus in general a bit more.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2007
1091 posts
21 upvotes
This may be a bit dated as I last lived in Oakville in 2014, but it is a great suburban city. I have since moved to Oshawa, and other than more affordable housing, it sucks in comparison. There is a lot of money in Oakville, a lot of professionals, schools are excellent, and Old Oakville is a cute, small downtown core to stroll through in the summer. Lots of small shops and nice restaurants. Outside of that, it is your typical upper middle-class suburbia.

Mississauga is a lot bigger with greater diversity. You can find pockets that are similar to Oakville, but there are some rundown or trashy areas as well. It is essentially a metropolis, so it's a lot busier, more crowded, etc.

If it were me, I would pick Oakville hands-down because it's much quieter/reserved and bougie...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5050 posts
957 upvotes
Mississauga
simple way to look at it...

if you want a quiet relaxed city, choose oakville

if you want diverse but more rush rush, choose Mississauga...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5385 posts
637 upvotes
Scarborough
Oakville is better if you want more peace n quiet and dont venture out much.
But diverse foods and restaurants are in mississauga tho
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5050 posts
957 upvotes
Mississauga
apnayloags wrote:
May 16th, 2019 1:36 pm
Oakville is better if you want more peace n quiet and dont venture out much.
But diverse foods and restaurants are in mississauga tho
and entertainment better in sauga...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2797 posts
1647 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
May 16th, 2019 3:15 pm
and entertainment better in sauga...
But everything you want to be at is 30mins drive from Oakville it seems.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4788 posts
929 upvotes
Young guy? Single? Rent a condo around Square One. Get one of those robots that can automatically swipe right on every profile. May break a thumb?
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Aug 21, 2010
119 posts
48 upvotes
toronto
is stat away from oakville..too many snubs..oh look at me attitude
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10421 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
How old is friend, where is job and is he single? What does he like to do in free time?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2797 posts
1647 upvotes
Single but done with club scene. Early 30s. Work near Clarkson I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9791 posts
2220 upvotes
Markham
Xtrema wrote:
May 17th, 2019 1:34 am
Single but done with club scene. Early 30s. Work near Clarkson I believe.
Mississauga for sure. Everything is so near by.
Although more traffic, but really depending when and where you go.

Oakville is nice, good for family to settle down or retirement.

I lived in Mississauga for 7 years and 5 years was near SQ1 area.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7642 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga
Mississauga Port Credit and Clarkson by the lake is nice. I wouldn't move to Square One area, too crowded too many condos, too much traffic.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 21, 2016
219 posts
51 upvotes
Oakville is an outer suburb quite far if you work or want to go to Toronto for entertainment. Mississauga larger more diverse better transit etc and closer to Toronto. In terms of safety the entire GTA is secure I have been everywhere lived worked rented and owned no issues. This is not Detroit or Chicago where there are no go areas let's not exaggerate and get carried away