• May 8th, 2015 12:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes

Telus 3-year contract tv and internet

Just wondering if anyone has signed a 3 year contract with telus and did they raise their fees during the term? I saw online that people complaining about being in contract with them and them raising the fees. I wonder how often do they do it and by how much?
I'm thinking of getting into a contract with them but want to first hear from you guys here.

Thank you!!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5285 posts
3079 upvotes
That is a BIG mistake. Don't fall for their free TV, computer etc BS. You can buy a new TV every year with the money you would be saving by not signing a contract. TV/Internet contracts are worse than cellphone contracts.
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
35 upvotes
Okanagan
We switched from Shaw to Telus Optik with the PVR with three boxes and installation included. Upgrading our Shaw PVR was going to cost us around $500 alone and the monthly fees were the same. Unless something weird happens, I expect to be on the same plan for three years so I don't care about the contract. Without a 'free' gift thrown in, the monthly fee was only $5 less for the first year.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15624 posts
5851 upvotes
I believe the catch with the plan is you are charged "market rate" and that rate may change over time.

Personally, I think signing the contract is a horrible idea. You most likely do not want the TV anyways (in my area it is only a 40" TV) and it may take months to actually receive it. Talk to the Telus/Shaw reps here on RFD - they offer great promo offers.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies!! I talked to telus and the offer they first offered me was a 3 year contract with discount for the 12 months ($81 monthly for optik tv +theme pack+chinese pack) and internet, then regular after, so at the end I'm paying $101 monthly for a 3 year term. But then I asked them about the free tv offer, they said my monthly fee will be $101 with free pvr and 2 digital boxes rental, 1 year free crave tv and $10 off chinese super pack for 3 years. Both I'll have to sign a contract anyway. If not, my monthly is at around $126 at the moment.
If I switch to shaw and want the same thing, it'll be around $95 for the first 6 months then regular after.
Seems like at the moment signing up for tv is the better choice but I do worry about the 3 year term.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4122 posts
739 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Shirochan wrote:
May 6th, 2015 12:21 am
Just wondering if anyone has signed a 3 year contract with telus and did they raise their fees during the term? I saw online that people complaining about being in contract with them and them raising the fees. I wonder how often do they do it and by how much?
I read about that as well.
It is different than cell phone contract where you get service for $x for y years. It's more like the TV contract is you use their service for y years for $x discount (or free gift) -> there is no price protection and they can raise rates, but you are on contract for the service and not the price.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2324 posts
580 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
It's basically a contract to stay with them for 3 years or pay back the value of the item you take. They can and will raise the price. They did it with us in the first year.

So basically you are free to leave at any time without any penalty, but you have to pay for the TV.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
cferguson23 wrote:
May 7th, 2015 10:15 am
It's basically a contract to stay with them for 3 years or pay back the value of the item you take. They can and will raise the price. They did it with us in the first year.

So basically you are free to leave at any time without any penalty, but you have to pay for the TV.
How much did they raise? And was it a raise all of their customers (published on their website?)
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
35 upvotes
Okanagan
Does Shaw provide a PVR, 2 digital boxes and hookup? That was a major savings for us by switching to Telus. We had the option of an iPad mini.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
can2do wrote:
May 7th, 2015 11:45 pm
Does Shaw provide a PVR, 2 digital boxes and hookup? That was a major savings for us by switching to Telus. We had the option of an iPad mini.
Just the pvr and hookup. But they charge $95 monthly for 6 months. Are you still with telus?
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
35 upvotes
Okanagan
OP, we signed a three year contract for Optik TV. Already had Telus Internet and landline. Our package works for us. It was the same total price as when we had Shaw cable and they included PVR, 2 boxes and installation. For us it was a no brainer to make the switch to Telus. We don't plan on moving soon. It may not be right for you.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
can2do wrote:
May 8th, 2015 9:28 am
OP, we signed a three year contract for Optik TV. Already had Telus Internet and landline. Our package works for us. It was the same total price as when we had Shaw cable and they included PVR, 2 boxes and installation. For us it was a no brainer to make the switch to Telus. We don't plan on moving soon. It may not be right for you.
Thanks for the reply!!! I was just unsure about the price increase during the term. But thank you, I'll figure that out.