Cell Phones

Telus $60/10GB but no tethering? really?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2017 4:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 16, 2017
29 posts
27 upvotes

Telus $60/10GB but no tethering? really?

Hello all,
I just ported my number from Fido to Telus to take advantage of the no expiry 10GB service (although later I learned Rogers and possibly Fido are doing it too). Anyways, I noticed that myself (using onePlus) and my wife (using samsung S7 edge) and a friend of mine (using iPhone) are all unable to use tethering. Could this be the dirty catch none of the telco companies are telling us?

I called Telus and stayed in the queue waiting to speak to someone for over 2 hours then the line automatically got dropped.

Anybody having this problem? What about people on other carriers for the same offer?

Cheers

UPDATE Dec 18: I looked further into this issue. From reading in RFD forums it appears that Telus plan was somewhat created based on the criteria they had for their plans 5 years ago, so it was missing the tethering "capabilities". It appears that Telus is working on fixing this. So you can either wait until the fix is ported to everyone or call support to have them fix the disabled tethering capabilities feature manually (but good luck getting to someone given the heat these plans are generating for their call centers).
Last edited by zarkook on Dec 17th, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2911 posts
558 upvotes
Vaughan
Where did you hear no tethering? I just signed up with Telus. I specifically ask if I could tether with my laptop. The sales rep said that i could tether. Just no shared data, meaning adding another to the plan, and sharing the data.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Dec 16, 2017
29 posts
27 upvotes
Actually I just edited my initial post with the update. It turns out this is a glitch on Telus side. I hope they fix it soon. I imagine if you try now to to use your tethering you won't be able to (you will be able to connect to your phone's hotspot but won't get much data).
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2911 posts
558 upvotes
Vaughan
zarkook wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 5:41 pm
Actually I just edited my initial post with the update. It turns out this is a glitch on Telus side. I hope they fix it soon. I imagine if you try now to to use your tethering you won't be able to (you will be able to connect to your phone's hotspot but won't get much data).
I just tried tethering on my Samsung S8. I watched a random YouTube video. It loaded up fine, and no slow down. I didn't notice a difference between using my home Wi-Fi connection vs tethering on my phone. I tethered to my laptop, and I don't see any issue. Worked fine for me.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Aug 31, 2017
1 posts
I am getting the same issue with Telus $60/month for 10gb. Can’t enable personal hotspot on my iPhone 6s Plus. I wonder if Telus is working on a fix means the ossue will solve by itself of if I need to call customer support.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5427 posts
3310 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 5:32 pm
Where did you hear no tethering? I just signed up with Telus. I specifically ask if I could tether with my laptop. The sales rep said that i could tether. Just no shared data, meaning adding another to the plan, and sharing the data.
True, sales reps always know how things work and never lie.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2510 posts
746 upvotes
Woodbridge
According to dozens of reports, Telus is aware of the problem and will send out a fix on their end once the madness has ended. If you require tethering immediately, a CSR can manually activate it on your account if you call in/online chat. I was able to have my tethering fixed via online chat.
Dec 5, 2006
105 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/t ... t-working/

Here’s how to fix your Personal Hotspot and LTE signal issues for Telus users:

1. On your iPhone, go to:

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options…

IMG 2E3BC6393ED6 1 IMG 6F2826E870C5 1

…then Cellular Data Network > Cellular Data.

Under Personal Hotspot, change the APN field from isp.telus.com to sp.telus.com

Once that’s done, go back to Settings and wait a few minutes, and Personal Hotspot should return. Try powering off your phone and turning it back on too, if nothing shows up.

IMG 755F29A9995F 1 IMG AD98F9DDAE53 1

Once you’ve made this change, Personal Hotspot should be fixed. You may also want to try signing out and back into your iCloud account too.

If anything, a Telus carrier update will be pushed at some point to fix this issue for customers. The suggested fix has worked for some iPhone in Canada readers.

For those experiencing voice calls falling back to 3G instead of LTE, ensure ‘Voice & Data’ is toggled ON under ‘Enable LTE’ under Cellular settings.