Computers & Electronics

Telus announces Usage-Based-Billing for all internet customers starting March 30

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2015 2:41 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
i6s1 wrote: I'm going on vacation pretty quick, so I won't say much more -

I don't think I crap on Shaw all the time, I own shares in both them and Telus. I do work in telco though.

But foreign ISPs do cap users, in Australia they've always done it, when I was there I was with a couple of people and they were taking about this ISP giving this many gigs - the transfer was a greater selling point than the speed. And Australia is probably the country most comparable to Canada in many aspects.

Customers will go to Shaw, which is why Telus wouldn't do this unless the benefits outweighed the costs. If there was no cost to bandwidth, there would be no reason to lose customers.
Yep, you're a Telus employee/contractor.

Can't wait for Google Fiber to come to Canada and hose the Big 3.
Nov 11, 2009
535 posts
153 upvotes
Edmonton
The thing that *really* irks me about this UBB thing is that the caps used to be a lot larger. I remember when they were 250GB or so, but actually dropped to 150GB quite recently.

Not to mention that with the advent of streaming internet services -- not only Netflix, but online content delivery -- that they choose to drive away customers instead of being competitive and upgrading their own equipment or offering better prices.
Oct 27, 2014
120 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have talked to Telus today. The representative informed me that Telus will first impose the download limit in BC. Alberta will be next but that will be closer to June or July. So for now I am safe, however I will keep monitoring the situation.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
While 20% of subscribers are exceeding usage caps it wouldn't surprise me that it's 20% of that 20% that is really excessive. That's what happened at Rogers (wireless).

People who want unlimited will migrate off of TELUS' network and TELUS will lose an unprofitable customer. They'll likely just gain that profit back on the carrier services side of the business.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23193 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
I thought I read somewhere that Telus doesn't have any capability to accurately monitor usage for customers who also have Telus TV. Have this changed recently? I'm on their Internet 50 package and the 400GB cap isn't a whole lot for a family of 5! I think Telus needs to rethink their cap as it's not enough for someone like me. Even their Internet 100 package have a 500GB cap, which isn't a whole lot either.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23193 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
JamesA1 wrote: If I were running Shaw, I would want to wait about 6 months to make Telus take all the bad publicity and scoop up as many Telus customers as possible, then introduce UBB with a show of reluctance and being forced to do it.

But I suspect that Telus and Shaw already have an understanding behind the scenes not to over-compete.
I think it's only a matter of time before Shaw enforce their caps as well. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them not to follow Telus' lead.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23193 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Keas wrote: if your using 3tb a month on a personal plan then they should be charging you a lot more than most. That is a rediculous ammount of downloading and they should make you get a business plan or even just drop you. if your at or around 500gb i can see a argument but come on people 3 tb is ridiculous and i would hate to be paying more because of you.
I totally agree with you. 3TB is definitely pushing it. Telus needs to be more generous with the caps. This isn't wireless and we're not dealing with spectrum issues. It's 2015 and 500GB cap on their most expensive plan isn't a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
So I can leave my optik tv hd on 24/7 for less than $30 a month but I can't do the same with netflix on the telus $60 internet plan?

I doubt bandwidth is the issue here. More like trying to go back to the old days where everyone are paying close to $100 a month for cable tv.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Optik TV is multicast, so it's not quite the same impact on system bandwidth as everybody streaming Netflix.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: Can't wait for Google Fiber to come to Canada and hose the Big 3.
I wouldn't let all of my Internet connection go through Google. Do you not care about your privacy?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
hvwozq wrote: I wouldn't let all of my Internet connection go through Google. Do you not care about your privacy?
I see we have another Big 3 employee/contractor trying a red herring and scare tactics. Rogers and Bell send me spam text messages, spy on my cell phone usage and sell my info. The Big 3 are a detriment to society whereas Google is beneficial.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: I see we have another Big 3 employee/contractor trying a red herring and scare tactics. Rogers and Bell send me spam text messages, spy on my cell phone usage and sell my info. The Big 3 are a detriment to society whereas Google is beneficial.
What have you been smoking? We're talking about home Internet here. I and this thread have nothing to do with Big 3. I'm not even a shareholder. In my opinion, any ISP is better than Google, the largest data miner on this planet.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
Hope this info might be useful to someone.

I called to register the overusage fee of $30 and was told that the Lower Mainland cut-off date was June 30th but my address cut-off is March 30th.
I complained that because my internet is quite slow shouldn't I have a discount?
She seemed taken aback but was friendly to check and my A/C already has a $10 discount from the official $50+ price. Then she went briefly offline and told me that because my rural address does not have a "high speed internet option" my over-usage fee will be $10 insteaqd of the $30.

There you go.

It's probably not the end of milking the internet usage. Where is the CRTC? Where is the competition bureau? Who is going to give us fiber? And when?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
Anyone have suggestions on ISPs when this comes into force? I am on Telus Student 15 internet with 150 gb bandwith. They say that we use about 300 gigs a month. I think it is from my mother in law watching overseas tv.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Use TekSavvy. Way better than any of the Big 3.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
JoeStale wrote: Yep, you're a Telus employee/contractor.

Can't wait for Google Fiber to come to Canada and hose the Big 3.
I think you'll be waiting to your grave. Google is where right now? The cities they are in aren't the most populated or the most advanced. The USA has cheap labour and relaxed laws. FiOS installers were cutting gas lines and other utilities by accident using cheap labourers and they just paid for their mistakes and moved on. Cut a utility or gas line in Canada and the whole world comes to a halt while they investigate, fine, regulate, fine again. Also you need a permit for the permits in Canada. We also tax the snot out of ourselves.

It just isn't easy to do anything in Canada. I've seen fibres hanging at an intersection for 10 years waiting for permits to cross the intersection and the company that owned that was Canadian. Just like I said Verizon and their (overpriced services like $80 USD for wireless plans) services weren't coming, I'll say that if they do come, it'll be in one small spot just to say they did it.
Jan 19, 2006
581 posts
463 upvotes
BC
Why not credit me when I am under the cap so I can use this when I go over? Some months I go over, many months I am under. Their approach is one sided. if you just go over your cap and are charged for a 50GB data bucket, any unused data belonging to this bucket is lost at the end of the billing cycle.

You are essentially being charged for something and much of it may go to waste.

This reeks of mobile phone plan billing format...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: I think you'll be waiting to your grave. Google is where right now? The cities they are in aren't the most populated or the most advanced. The USA has cheap labour and relaxed laws. FiOS installers were cutting gas lines and other utilities by accident using cheap labourers and they just paid for their mistakes and moved on. Cut a utility or gas line in Canada and the whole world comes to a halt while they investigate, fine, regulate, fine again. Also you need a permit for the permits in Canada. We also tax the snot out of ourselves.

It just isn't easy to do anything in Canada. I've seen fibres hanging at an intersection for 10 years waiting for permits to cross the intersection and the company that owned that was Canadian. Just like I said Verizon and their (overpriced services like $80 USD for wireless plans) services weren't coming, I'll say that if they do come, it'll be in one small spot just to say they did it.
Hear hear - this is indeed the problem for my city @ New Westminster - it wans't until recently city engineering allowed TELUS to dig or lay fibres.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
Chatted with Telus, they offered me $10 add-on for unlimited. Works for me. $25 + $10 for unlimited Telus 15. Slow but I don't have to do business with Shaw, so works for me.

I can't get any bigger plans with them.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
I called in and they offered me $10 unlimited add-on as well (regular $30 they say). I'm currently on Telus 15 with 150GB and for some reason they said they couldn't upgrade me to Telus 25 with 250GB because of my HD channels???? Really confusing.

Anyways, they got their $10 price increase out of me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)