Cell Phones

Telus blocking imgur.com? (Issue fixed by Telus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 11:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4425 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga

Telus blocking imgur.com? (Issue fixed by Telus)

I spent most of my time browing at reddit on my phone during my long daily commute. Most site's image content are hosted or put in to imgur.com. However throughout this week, I haven't been able to load any images from imgur but when I'm on wifi (at home) I can load it no problem.

Has any one else had this problem on their Telus phone?

Tested this on Dolphin, Chrome, stock and Opera (full) browsers. My phone is the GS2 with CM9 and yes I tried turning it off and on

Edit:
Workaround solution were found!
First by Vacillator. Using OPERA MINI, you will be able to browse reddit just fine.

Second by chr1s50. Using a proxy in your apn settings:
chr1s50 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 7:31 pm
I had the same issue a few days ago, I double checked my APN settings to make sure they were the same as what's below. Turns out I was missing information and after I put it all in, it worked immediately.

Name: TELUS SP
APN: sp.telus.com
Proxy: 74.49.0.18
Port: 80
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS Port: 80
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
APN type: default,mms
please send them your thanks

Final Edit
Telus seemed to have fixed the issue with imgur.
21 replies
Dec 6, 2012
7 posts
spena wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:32 am
I spent most of my time browing at reddit on my phone during my long daily commute. Most site's image content are hosted or put in to imgur.com. However throughout this week, I haven't been able to load any images from imgur but when I'm on wifi (at home) I can load it no problem.

Has any one else had this problem on their Telus phone?

Tested this on Dolphin, Chrome, stock and Opera browser. My phone is the GS2 with CM9 and yes I tried turning it off and on
I am on telus as well and noticed this over the past couple of days .. my phone works fine when connected to wifi, but on their 3G service it only loads partial images and/or no images.

Some googling has suggested its some kind of DNS routing error they need to fix.. (found similar threads about verizon/etc)

Hopefully it sorts itself out soon..
May 11, 2011
1 posts
I'm seeing the same thing on Telus with the iphone. It was fine a few days ago but now images from imgur won't load, and half of reddit is content on imgur so that sucks to no end.
Jul 23, 2006
25 posts
Both my wife and I are both having this problem. We're both with Telus. I have a Galaxy Nexus and she has an iPhone, so we can easily rule out phone type.
Nov 30, 2010
210 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
if its just a dns problem you could try changing the dns server (opendns or google's dns)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4425 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
imgur still not loading. cmon Telus pick up the slack, trying to avoid reading a book on my commute
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2678 posts
313 upvotes
Newmarket
happening to me too.. i'm on fido. i wouldn't think that telus or fido would be blocking websites.

edit:
i should add that i honestly don't beleive it's the service provider blocking sites. i also use a huawei 4g lte internet stick on telus and i can get imgur no problem.
Dec 10, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
This is still happening, I'm not happy in the least. What can we do? (I'm also on Telus)
Dec 11, 2012
2 posts
i hear ya man i called telus and nothing on their end, i have been searching the internet for solutions so far nothing. ive tried removing all extensions, turning off my firewall, running firefox, IE and still nothing. I use reddit alot so its pretty much f#cked to me now, also it wont display most gif's on other websites. I AM LOSING IT, let me know if you find anything
Dec 11, 2012
2 posts
I had an update from windows this morning and it righted itself, hope the same goes for everyone else, thanks
Aug 2, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
I noticed this starting yesterday as well, it was working fine on Monday though. On telus with the galaxy s3.
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
70 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
Try using Google DNS, if that doesn't work try a proxy/VPN.
Dec 10, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
I've tried using set dns and droid proxy but nothing seems to be working. I don't know, I'm still pretty frustrated about this. If anyone finds a solution please let me know.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Just tested this on the Koodo (Telus) Samsung SIIX and I get the same partial images loading. I can't see it being a DNS problem since I can bring up the site fine and the image starts loading, then stops. It only seems to be a problem with the images.

Opera Mini loads all the images just fine if that helps anybody.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Dec 15, 2010
46 posts
3 upvotes
I had the same issue a few days ago, I double checked my APN settings to make sure they were the same as what's below. Turns out I was missing information and after I put it all in, it worked immediately.

Name: TELUS SP
APN: sp.telus.com
Proxy: 74.49.0.18
Port: 80
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS Port: 80
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 302