Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3782 posts
270 upvotes
BC
cashinstinct wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 8:10 pm
Thanks for sharing

They don't want to discount iPhone 7 Plus, will have to wait for next one (if I pay full price, it will be for a real new phone)
Actually there is a sale for march I just saw on one of the sites (Clearwest) for a iPhone 7 Plus 128gb for $380 or 32gb for $250.... not too bad IMO

Edit: don't see it on other sites yet
Aug 18, 2009
18 posts
I just called Telus to ask them why they would charge me $270 for a new phone when new activations gets it for free. She offered to send my concern to "escalations" and they would call me back. I'm also live chatting with a Bell rep who is trying to match the Telus EPP offer. They're getting close.....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5729 posts
1526 upvotes
Montreal
good deal bc wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 2:22 am
Actually there is a sale for march I just saw on one of the sites (Clearwest) for a iPhone 7 Plus 128gb for $380 or 32gb for $250.... not too bad IMO

Edit: don't see it on other sites yet
Not too bad. My local dealer does not show such price for new activations of iPhone 7 Plus.

I decided to wait for next phone anyway, since it's 6 months away.
Mar 7, 2011
716 posts
288 upvotes
Spanky2 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:20 pm
I just called Telus to ask them why they would charge me $270 for a new phone when new activations gets it for free. She offered to send my concern to "escalations" and they would call me back. I'm also live chatting with a Bell rep who is trying to match the Telus EPP offer. They're getting close.....
Theyre gonna tell you to **** off essentially. Telus is an absolute joke for upgrades, its like they're eager to lose current customers.
Nov 10, 2011
290 posts
56 upvotes
Burnaby
New activations definitely get a better deal on the phone its self. Just got to take advantage of the BYOP for now.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3782 posts
270 upvotes
BC
Spanky2 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:20 pm
As for either $200 or $400 off your hardware for renewal to corporate support. It is called "the bank" offer in their system
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3782 posts
270 upvotes
BC
Roarke wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:44 pm
Theyre gonna tell you to **** off essentially. Telus is an absolute joke for upgrades, its like they're eager to lose current customers.
LG G5, Moto Z Play, Moto Z, and S7/S7 Edge all have gone on sale for renewals this month.

Plus there is a free Samsung Tab E tablet and $10 for 1GB offer with S7/Edge promo....
Nov 10, 2011
290 posts
56 upvotes
Burnaby
Just looked on Clearwest and some phones on "renewal" have dropped in price or (in Motorola's case and iPhone SE 16 GB) are free. iPhone 6s 32 GB $270 and LG 5 $200 went down to $100. If you get a Samsung S7 or Edge they are giving away a wireless charger.

I am no way a sales guy or store promoter (I only know of Clearwest and Smartcell because I have their passwords to look around) just trying to let people know when prices are good. Why not take advantage of 30% off if you can.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3782 posts
270 upvotes
BC
gong_8 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 1:07 pm
Just looked on Clearwest and some phones on "renewal" have dropped in price or (in Motorola's case and iPhone SE 16 GB) are free. iPhone 6s 32 GB $270 and LG 5 $200 went down to $100. If you get a Samsung S7 or Edge they are giving away a wireless charger.

I am no way a sales guy or store promoter (I only know of Clearwest and Smartcell because I have their passwords to look around) just trying to let people know when prices are good. Why not take advantage of 30% off if you can.
looks like the S7 is now free on renewal and the edge is $50!! plus a free wireless charger. good deal on a great phone.
May 24, 2003
748 posts
114 upvotes
I am looking at an EPP deal at smartcell for my wife and I. We both currently have a regular line each with Telus but my account still has a $200 device balance (1 year left).
I want to get:
$0 - S7 edge (free on new activation)
$52.50/m - unlimited voice/txt/etc in US and Canada
$59.50/m - 10 GB shared data
$60/m - extra line for wife BYOD unlimited US/Canada (as above)
$172/m total (+taxes)

In addition, I realize that I will have to pay $200 to close my other account.

But, to port our numbers over to these new lines, smartcell says I will have to pay an additional $50 x 2 ($100):
WHAT IF I AM AN EXISTING TELUS CUSTOMER AND WANT TO SWITCH TO THE CORPORATE EMPLOYEE PLAN?

If you are an existing TELUS consumer plan customer who would like to migrate to the corporate employee plan, there are some costs and conditions applicable. TELUS charges a $50 service fee for every TELUS consumer cellular line converted to corporate on your next TELUS invoice statement. The TELUS account has to be in good standing, has to been in the employee’s name (only employee can be the account owner) and billing information. Customers who have recently activated or upgraded on regular consumer plans must wait 6-months before TELUS will allow a plan migration. To initiate a plan migration please contact us at workperks@smartcell.ca with your TELUS cellular phone number(s), name of your employer/association, and a photo of your work/membership identification badge or paystub etc.
However, on Telus' site, they state the following:
You can transfer your existing phone number – TELUS or other, landline or mobile – to your TELUS Mobility account. Your existing TELUS Mobility phone number is replaced with this number.

Before you begin

Ensure that:

You have an active TELUS Mobility account
The area code of the number you intend to transfer matches your local calling service area
The number you intend to transfer to your TELUS account is still active
Important: Do not cancel your account with your current provider or you will relinquish your phone number. Your old service will automatically be cancelled upon successful completion of your phone number transfer.

Processing time

If your phone number is a non-TELUS mobile number, transferring your number may take up to 2.5 hours
If your phone number is a landline number, the transfer may take up to 2 business days
This makes it sound like there will not be an extra charge and they will just automatically close the other lines.
Does anyone know how this all works? I would like to just go through the motions and order my activations through smartcell and then once I have the phones, just go to Telus site and initiate the porting of the numbers. Is this a safe way to go about it or will I run into issues trying to port our numbers over? we definitely want to keep our existing numbers.
Nov 10, 2011
290 posts
56 upvotes
Burnaby
brownstein wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 4:46 pm
I am looking at an EPP deal at smartcell for my wife and I. We both currently have a regular line each with Telus but my account still has a $200 device balance (1 year left).
I want to get:
$0 - S7 edge (free on new activation)
$52.50/m - unlimited voice/txt/etc in US and Canada
$59.50/m - 10 GB shared data
$60/m - extra line for wife BYOD unlimited US/Canada (as above)
$172/m total (+taxes)

In addition, I realize that I will have to pay $200 to close my other account.

But, to port our numbers over to these new lines, smartcell says I will have to pay an additional $50 x 2 ($100):

However, on Telus' site, they state the following:

This makes it sound like there will not be an extra charge and they will just automatically close the other lines.
Does anyone know how this all works? I would like to just go through the motions and order my activations through smartcell and then once I have the phones, just go to Telus site and initiate the porting of the numbers. Is this a safe way to go about it or will I run into issues trying to port our numbers over? we definitely want to keep our existing numbers.

I'm pretty sure the $50 per number is to convert from a consumer to corporate account. I think it's because everyone is going to a corporate plan so it's a way of making more $$$. I am almost certain you would have to pay for the $50 per line.
May 24, 2003
748 posts
114 upvotes
Is it considered converting if you just make 2 new accounts and then port your numbers, or does the conversion actually mean for people that want to keep their existing accounts intact? Because I don't care if my existing account just gets deactivated.
Nov 10, 2011
290 posts
56 upvotes
Burnaby
brownstein wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 6:55 pm
Is it considered converting if you just make 2 new accounts and then port your numbers, or does the conversion actually mean for people that want to keep their existing accounts intact? Because I don't care if my existing account just gets deactivated.
I think as long as you have existing Telus' numbers it will be considered a conversion of consumer to corporate. If you ported from another company you would be considered new activation and wouldn't have to pay that.

When I signed up 2 years ago, I didn't have to pay anything to convert my Telus account from consumer to corporate. I didn't even get charged for a new sim card. Only paid for the phone (HTC One M8 $150) and whatever the plan was ($60 at the time). Since a lot of people are trying to go the corporate route, they are trying to make more $$$ like this conversion of consumer to corporate. I know if I do a hardware upgrade I would have to pay for a sim (which I don't need to be honest since its the same) and more for a phone.

They make more on new activations and not much on renewals, so they have to find new ways of revenue. So its a catch 22. You want to keep your number pay more. You want a huge discount, get a new number.
May 1, 2016
17 posts
1 upvote
Hello,

Can someone help me get a better plan under governmental rate? I'm looking for Galaxy S7 edge. Thanks.
Jan 24, 2013
193 posts
55 upvotes
Ontario
Onedealatatime wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:19 am
Hello,

Can someone help me get a better plan under governmental rate? I'm looking for Galaxy S7 edge. Thanks.
Which company / government organization do you work for?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

steinberg