Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1238 posts
84 upvotes

Telus Coverage?

Can anyone with Telus comment on their coverage experiences? I was thinking of switching from Rogers but won't if I get crappy service.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6339 posts
775 upvotes
Telus should be the exact same as bell as telus has no towers themselves. Have you tried bell?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2163 posts
179 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 11:27 pm
Telus should be the exact same as bell as telus has no towers themselves. Have you tried bell?
Whatever you do, never go with Bell. You'll regret your decision every month if you do.

Thunderbay has excellent signal with Telus.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
I'm presuming you are talking about Telus HSPA, not CDMA.

Are you moving there, or just passing through? You will be able to roam in Thunder Bay with Telus on the Bell network, but you won't be able to get a Thunder Bay number with Telus HSPA at the moment. If you are moving to Thunder Bay, you have to choose between Tbaytel (tbaytel.net) and Bell (bell.ca/thunderbay).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
kev* wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 10:52 pm
Are you sure I still can't transfer my local Rogers/TBaytel HSPA number to Telus? If I did would I be roaming here?

I get this on their website:
Transfer Eligibility
807-472-XXXX
Yes, this number is eligible to be transferred to PCS-Postpaid or Pay&Talk .
That might work, but it also might just be telling you that you can transfer it to CDMA service. Is PCS just the term for CDMA, or does it apply to their HSPA network too? Maybe someone more familiar with Telus than I could answer that.

Edit: If you go to their coverage map (http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/cana ... ndex.shtml) and click the 3G tab, you will see that PCS appears to be their name for their CDMA network.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1711 posts
12 upvotes
Central Ontario
EPcjay wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 11:27 pm
On a related note, I am having a coverage issue with TELUS in an area where the locals tell me that Bell is the only game in town (Rogers coverage is also poor). I thought my TELUS phone would "use" the Bell tower, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Why not?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
JustMike wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:20 pm
On a related note, I am having a coverage issue with TELUS in an area where the locals tell me that Bell is the only game in town (Rogers coverage is also poor). I thought my TELUS phone would "use" the Bell tower, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Why not?
HSPA? Maybe the locals were talking about Bell CDMA being the only game in town (if it's a small and/or remote time, that is quite possibly the case).
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1711 posts
12 upvotes
Central Ontario
mc_molineux wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:29 pm
HSPA? Maybe the locals were talking about Bell CDMA being the only game in town (if it's a small and/or remote time, that is quite possibly the case).
Now that you mention it, I am guessing this is probably the case. I tried my father's old Bell CDMA phone here and was able to dial out, whereas I cannot do the same with TELUS. Thanks for the clarification!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
JustMike wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 1:50 pm
Now that you mention it, I am guessing this is probably the case. I tried my father's old Bell CDMA phone here and was able to dial out, whereas I cannot do the same with TELUS. Thanks for the clarification!
No problem. To confirm, you should check the coverage maps of Telus and/or Bell and see if you are in a place that has CDMA coverage but not HSPA.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11195 posts
1417 upvotes
http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-lo ... erage-maps

"Coverage areas are approximate. Actual coverage and network service may vary and both are subject to change. Local numbers are not available in the Northwest Territories and Yukon (HSPA or CDMA), or Thunder Bay (HSPA)"

From memory:

Telus/Bell CDMA provided by TBaytel CDMA
Telus/Bell 3G provided by Bell 3G
Rogers 2G provided by Rogers 2G
Rogers 3G provided by Tbaytel 3G (no 2G coverage)
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 6:34 pm
http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-lo ... erage-maps

"Coverage areas are approximate. Actual coverage and network service may vary and both are subject to change. Local numbers are not available in the Northwest Territories and Yukon (HSPA or CDMA), or Thunder Bay (HSPA)"

From memory:

Telus/Bell CDMA provided by TBaytel CDMA
Telus/Bell 3G provided by Bell 3G
Rogers 2G provided by Rogers 2G
Rogers 3G provided by Tbaytel 3G (no 2G coverage)
Great find on the Koodo site. I've never seen the phone number restriction shown explicitly like that, though I knew it was the case.

I think your summary is correct as well. I know that 1,2 and 4 are correct for sure, but for #3 I think the Rogers 2G GSM customers were told to Tbaytel with the rest of that deal. I guess the towers could still technically be Rogers property though, so you're probably right.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
kev* wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:03 pm
Thanks for the info. Looks more like I'm not switching to telus.
Anyone know if they charge to port phone number?
Also, can anyone confirm this charge still exists:
TELUS Plans & Add-ons - Prepaid Plan
*There is a one time account set-up charge of $35

***Edit***
I had a fairly long support web chat with telus and there is no number Porting fee or account charge fee.
Also, I asked questions about HSPA/CDMA phones, local phone numbers and porting my HSPA phone (807) number from rogers/Tbaytel and it was all ok. He rechecked my cell number and said it was good as long the number is active and in good credit standing.
They said you can port the number from HSPA, but can you port it to Telus HSPA service? That is the part that people have trouble with, if it's a Thunder Bay number, is attaching the number to a Telus SIM card versus a CDMA phone (which they allow/advertise). If it works then you've found a nice loophole. Keep us posted!
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on virgin mobile, and living in thunder bay, and signal is excellent here. one you drive out more than 20 minutes away from Tbay (at least south or west) reception in houses drops to zero.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2684 posts
225 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 2:31 pm
I'm on virgin mobile, and living in thunder bay, and signal is excellent here. one you drive out more than 20 minutes away from Tbay (at least south or west) reception in houses drops to zero.
Yeah, the Bell network in the city is great, but once you get outside the limits you lose it pretty quickly. It's like the Wind Mobile of Thunder Bay.

On another note, I noticed that Bell is giving a free iPhone 5, Xperia T, HTC 8X, or Bold 9900 to anyone who switches to Bell from Tbaytel. I'm sure it's on a 3 year term, but for anyone getting a contract anyway that's a decent savings on a couple of those phones. www.bell.ca/thunderbay
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
kev* wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 10:08 pm
Not for me - I fear commitment. :D
Really though I use my phone so little (besides wifi) that $100 lasts me 9 months.
In city use only is fine for me too.
Lol in Canada you should. No country in the world still has 3 year contracts.
And since you use your phone so little, if you're daring, go buy a phone made in China. They'll run you up about $100 but have the same specs as a Galaxy S3 (slower processor).

Oh I forgot, I know for sure Telus has a refurbished Optimus G for $200 on the telus store (not teamwebstore) and I can't seem to find it.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
× < >