• Jan 26th, 2013 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
If you're on Rogers and you travel to Thunder bay, stay with Rogers, at least for now.

tbaytel's coverage in Thunder bay far exceeds Bell/Telus's. They have no service down the highways, whatsoever. Once you're about 20 mins out of town, you get zero signal. Tbaytel covers you all the way from the manitoba border to Sault Ste. Marie, down to the border down highway 61. There will be small gaps, but Bell/Telus gives you nothing.

ROgers also has 2G fallback in Kenora and THunder Bay.

As for CDMA, Telus roams off tbaytel's CDMA network, which is actually quite good and covers all the aformentioned areas.

Now, I'm not sure Telus will give you an 807 number if you need one. But as of right now, Rogers is still the best way to go if you need coverage in northwestern ontario.
If this post was helpful to you, click the "thanks" button.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
zijin_cheng wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:23 am
Lol in Canada you should. No country in the world still has 3 year contracts.
And since you use your phone so little, if you're daring, go buy a phone made in China. They'll run you up about $100 but have the same specs as a Galaxy S3 (slower processor).
Don't do this.

Most Chinese phones don't have compatibility for North American HSPA bands, so you'll be stuck on GSM only, and in Thunder bay, that network is very limited.

Plus, you get what you pay for. Yeah, a $100 smartphone sounds nice, but trust me, alot are not well made. Some might be fine, but just be careful.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
l69norm wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 6:34 pm
Telus/Bell CDMA provided by TBaytel CDMA
Telus/Bell 3G provided by Bell 3G
Rogers 2G provided by Rogers 2G
Rogers 3G provided by Tbaytel 3G (no 2G coverage)
I can verify this is correct.

in Northwestern Ontario, only three companies broadcast Signal now (used to be four)

Tbaytel has CDMA and HSPA+
Rogers has GSM
DMTS used to have GSM, but has been purchased by tbaytel and those towers are being decommissioned/converted to HSPA.
Bell has HSPA+ and LTE

Bell/Telus/MTS/Virgin/Koodo/anyone with CDMA roams off tbaytel
Rogers/Wind/Mobi roam off Rogers GSM
Rogers HSPA roams off tbaytel (yes, tbaytel has no 2G coverage, nor will they ever)

Furthermore:

Bell broadcasts HSPA on 1900 and LTE on 1700
tbaytel broadcasts HSPA on 850 and CDMA on 1900
Rogers broadcasts GSM on 850 and 1900
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
kev* wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 8:43 am
I live in Thunder bay and will only be using it here locally.
I can't vouch for Bell's network, but my experience with Rogers/tbaytel in the past two months is vastly improved. There used to be service issues due to congestion, but tbaytel has partnered with Ericsson to revamp the entire network, and the results have been very impressive.

Check out here for an idea: http://coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302720

I've logged the majority of this. Some of the rural coverage is out of date, and has improved, most of the south side of the city is up to date, some of the north side is outdated, but mostly in-town is up to date within about a month or two.

Bells coverage will cut off after Kakabeka, and East past Hodder Ave, south past the Tournament Centre.

I've heard despite having so few customers, there are still parts of town with poor reception, a good number of people who ported from tbaytel to Bell have ported back.

It's up to you though. If you live in Thunder Bay and never leave the city or roam in the US, Bell offers a good unlimited talk/3GB data, but no CID or VM for $50, tbaytel can give you 300 mins, w/ a year free tbaytel to tbaytel, plus one of 100 Can/US LD minutes, Unlimited tbaytel mobile to mobile, hi10 local or double minutes to 600, with Call display, unlimited international texting and Voicemail with 6GB data for $55 plus tax, no SAF, GRF or 911 fee.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
amace wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 4:30 pm
Don't do this.

Most Chinese phones don't have compatibility for North American HSPA bands, so you'll be stuck on GSM only, and in Thunder bay, that network is very limited.

Plus, you get what you pay for. Yeah, a $100 smartphone sounds nice, but trust me, alot are not well made. Some might be fine, but just be careful.
Some of them do. You just got to be careful when reading the specs.

Just ask someone who's experienced in this type of thing to recommend a phone to you, or browse aliexpress enough until you get a general feel for things.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2665 posts
223 upvotes
Since this seems to be the only thread discussing NWO cell service on here, I'll add a link to this thread discussing the updated Bell/Virgin offers for Thunder Bay.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/virgin-m ... y-1271842/

Basically unlimited nationwide talk, text, 6 GB of data, caller ID and voicemail for $50. With Bell (vs. Virgin) you get 10 hours of Mobile TV as well. I guess Bell improved their offer to compete with the Tbaytel offer as outlined by Amace above.

Also, the information from Amace above re: the signals broadcast agrees with what I know. Apparently the Rogers 2G GSM/EDGE service is ending on December 31 though, so there will no longer be that fallback, or the ability for Wind customers to roam in Thunder Bay or Kenora.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
zijin_cheng wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 1:43 pm
Some of them do. You just got to be careful when reading the specs.

Just ask someone who's experienced in this type of thing to recommend a phone to you, or browse aliexpress enough until you get a general feel for things.
Sadly, the majority of people don't know what the specs mean. I've seen countless people trying to activate "Unlocked quad-band" phones, that will never work on a North American HSPA network. Many ofthem are Asian Galaxy variants, fake iphones and Dual-SIM Nokias. And Specs don't tell you about performance. Sure, a cheap no-name phone might come with a quad-core processor, but if they just lazily slap together an Android ROM, it will run like crap. Manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, etc. spend boatloads of money making sure their software is acceptable. If you hate Touchwiz or Sense because you find it laggy, just wait until you try a no-name import phone.

Now, i'm not saying all chinese phones are crap, there are some alright ones, but you have to know what you're looking for. If you don't, you'll likely end up with a phone you hate.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
mc_molineux wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 6:58 pm
Since this seems to be the only thread discussing NWO cell service on here, I'll add a link to this thread discussing the updated Bell/Virgin offers for Thunder Bay.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/virgin-m ... y-1271842/

Basically unlimited nationwide talk, text, 6 GB of data, caller ID and voicemail for $50. With Bell (vs. Virgin) you get 10 hours of Mobile TV as well. I guess Bell improved their offer to compete with the Tbaytel offer as outlined by Amace above.

Also, the information from Amace above re: the signals broadcast agrees with what I know. Apparently the Rogers 2G GSM/EDGE service is ending on December 31 though, so there will no longer be that fallback, or the ability for Wind customers to roam in Thunder Bay or Kenora.
IF that's actually the case, (Rogers/tbaytel has not given any firm indication about this, I suspect those towers won't be decommissioned right away), that will actually help tbaytel customers. Since tbaytel SIMs are essentially Rogers sim cards, they run into trouble with their Edge network. Rogers 2G is blocked in Thunder Bay for tbaytel customers, however the phone can still see the network, and will try to connect if the signal is stronger than an HSPA signal. That results in Emergency mode.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2665 posts
223 upvotes
amace wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:01 pm
IF that's actually the case, (Rogers/tbaytel has not given any firm indication about this, I suspect those towers won't be decommissioned right away), that will actually help tbaytel customers. Since tbaytel SIMs are essentially Rogers sim cards, they run into trouble with their Edge network. Rogers 2G is blocked in Thunder Bay for tbaytel customers, however the phone can still see the network, and will try to connect if the signal is stronger than an HSPA signal. That results in Emergency mode.
Someone claiming to be in-the-know had posted the December 31, 2012, date on Mobile Syrup, and it seems to check out based on this link I found:
http://www.tbaytel.net/residential/mobi ... q.shtml#q5
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
JWL wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 8:46 pm
Why not go with TBayTel?
All my friends are on Tbaytel, and the worst thing is dropped calls all the time.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
zijin_cheng wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 9:23 am
All my friends are on Tbaytel, and the worst thing is dropped calls all the time.
Fixed now. They brought in Ericsson to revamp their entire network. Within the past few months, they have launched close to 15 new cell sites, and expanded all their existing ones. THere are very few problem areas compared to what it used to be like. Really the only issue that still exists is the university, which is supposed to be fixed in the new year.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
mc_molineux wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:22 pm
Someone claiming to be in-the-know had posted the December 31, 2012, date on Mobile Syrup, and it seems to check out based on this link I found:
http://www.tbaytel.net/residential/mobi ... q.shtml#q5
Again, I'm not sure if that's because Rogers is decommissioning those towers, or if they're discontinuing service to 807 area code pay as you go numbers. They don't specify. tbaytel has a number of customers who transitioned from Rogers who haven't upgraded to HSPA yet, those customers will be out of service if the towers are turned off. I haven't heard any hard facts about what is happening.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
kev* wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 5:18 pm
The transition from Rogers to Tbaytel pay-as-you-go just happened one day back in the summer for me I believe. The only reason I knew is because local numbers started requiring dialing the 807 an area code. Then I checked my network settings and Tbaytel showed up.
I got a few texts around that time saying a Tbaytel rep was gonna call. They never did. I still pay Rogers through online bank payment without any issues.
Then you're not transitioned. If you still have a Rogers SIM in your phone for prepaid, it will stop working. If you're paying Rogers directly and have an 807 number, then something wrong happened and you need to look into it, otherwsie you might get cut off or assigned a new number after december.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2335 posts
364 upvotes
Thunder Bay
kev* wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 1:45 pm
Thanks for letting me know. I suppose they should try to contact me. I'm switching to telus next week anyways but my GF will still be with Rogers so I hope she doesn't lose her balance. I'll let you know what happens.
If your girlfriend has an 807 area code pay as you go number on Rogers, get her to go to a tbaytel store before December 31 and switch over. tbaytel will honor your existing balance and give you a $100 airtime credit. Just be warned, that if her phone is not HSPA compatible, she'll need to buy a new one.
× < >