Ongoing Deal Discussion

Telus

(CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 4:34 am
Tags:
May 3, 2005
23 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond
I was bonded for 2 year contract, paying $144 after tax. And as of this month, I still got 9 month to go...

So, Just got off the phone with L&R, this is what I got:
- Phone: $13/month
- Internet 25: $30/month for 12 month OR Internet 50: $37/month for 12 month
- TV - Essential: 25/month (9 month to go, or cancel to pay penalty)

I don't watch TV, so I actually still saves $5/month MORE if I pay the penalty.
I feel the discount I got is only decent, not good enough, what do you guys think? :(
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1314 posts
289 upvotes
Whats the best way to contact a rep that can negotiate for a new signup? It seems like the online chat is real busy and I doubt they can negotiate anyways.
Jul 12, 2017
13 posts
8 upvotes
A friend was offered a $400 Visa gift card from Telus at the door if he switched over from Shaw
Jul 10, 2007
490 posts
505 upvotes
Edmonton
Homer Jay Simpson wrote: Hey that's good to know! My install was just mid last year, and I had to sweet talk my installer to give me a T3200M and 3 MOCA 2.0 adapters lol.
He really wanted to give me the T1200H since I didn't have ethernet installed.
Nice guy though. He even let me keep my Wifi Plus WEB6000Q which I use in my basement. The T3200M covers my whole house anyways, but it's free so why not.
I'm getting my 150 installed next week. I'd like to have a hardwired connection near my TVs so I can plug it into my kodi boxes and PS4. So I should specifically ask the for a T3200M modem and get the MOCA adapters? So are all coax outlets in the house capable of a MoCA connection as long as I have the adapters? What if I have a few Cat5 outlets. Do I need to tell the tech to get those connected? Sorry about all the noob questions. Thanks for the help!
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
golfcraze wrote: I'm getting my 150 installed next week. I'd like to have a hardwired connection near my TVs so I can plug it into my kodi boxes and PS4. So I should specifically ask the for a T3200M modem and get the MOCA adapters? So are all coax outlets in the house capable of a MoCA connection as long as I have the adapters? What if I have a few Cat5 outlets. Do I need to tell the tech to get those connected? Sorry about all the noob questions. Thanks for the help!
For sure, I would totally ask for the T3200M and MoCA adapters if that's not their default now. Yep, they will allow you to convert any coax to ethernet. The ones Telus gave me are these: Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0. They require power, and one end hooks up to the coax, the other is one single ethernet port. Your can just put a switch after the MoCA adapter to give yourself multiple ports. I put in a 5 port gigabit switchs for my multiple devices.
You can mix and match with your established CAT5, although if it's true CAT5 (and not CAT5E or higher) those connections on the CAT5 will be limited to 10/100 (physical limitation of the cable).
Nice thing about theses MoCA adapters is they are essentially invisible to your network, and just look like a standard gigabit line to your router/switches.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
golfcraze wrote: I'm getting my 150 installed next week. I'd like to have a hardwired connection near my TVs so I can plug it into my kodi boxes and PS4. So I should specifically ask the for a T3200M modem and get the MOCA adapters? So are all coax outlets in the house capable of a MoCA connection as long as I have the adapters? What if I have a few Cat5 outlets. Do I need to tell the tech to get those connected? Sorry about all the noob questions. Thanks for the help!
If you ordered TV, then you'll get one for your PVR connection and you can split it with a switch.

If you didn't order TV, a tech would have to be willing to essentially steal one for you. It might happen, but I wouldn't expect it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1029 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
Every Telus rep that comes to my door can't price match Shaw at all. Unless I commit to 2 years and pay regular price the 2nd year. F outta here
Jul 10, 2007
490 posts
505 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for the help! Yeah, I didn't order TV. Just the internet. I hope they're willing to give me the adapters. Even if it's just one or two would be great.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1085 posts
409 upvotes
I have 5 days left in my billing cycle with telus... If I cancel right away will they pull that "need to bill another month" bull? And when you do the self install with shaw what is the turnaround time? Can you pick up the kit right away?
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
golfcraze wrote: Thanks for the help! Yeah, I didn't order TV. Just the internet. I hope they're willing to give me the adapters. Even if it's just one or two would be great.
No worries. I hope the installer does give you an adapter (or two). If not, you can purchase on your own. They are a little expensive, so fingers crossed that Telus will give you one or two. If you end up wanting to buy a pair, it's probably cheapest to buy in the US, even after exchange. Amazon has a pair for $136.21 USD after coupon (follow link to see). Also BH carries them here.

I switched over from Shaw 150 to the Telus 150 service last August when I moved to an area with FTTH, and I can't believe how much better it is. My old 150 service with Shaw in my old neighborhood was plagued with massive fluctuations in bandwidth depending on peak times. Sometimes my 150Mbps would even drop to 12 - 15 Mbps during peak hours lol.
My new Telus service fluctuates maybe 1%. See my speedtest history since I've had Telus Fiber. Shoot, I just did this speedtest, with two TV's on, and all 3 kids online (two on xbox, and one on netflix):
If anything, my speeds seemed to increase a little since around Feb of this year. I used to test regularly at 165 up/down. Now its regularly 175 up/down Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Anyways good luck with your install!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
1325 posts
429 upvotes
Homer Jay Simpson wrote: No worries. I hope the installer does give you an adapter (or two). If not, you can purchase on your own. They are a little expensive, so fingers crossed that Telus will give you one or two. If you end up wanting to buy a pair, it's probably cheapest to buy in the US, even after exchange. Amazon has a pair for $136.21 USD after coupon (follow link to see). Also BH carries them here.

I switched over from Shaw 150 to the Telus 150 service last August when I moved to an area with FTTH, and I can't believe how much better it is. My old 150 service with Shaw in my old neighborhood was plagued with massive fluctuations in bandwidth depending on peak times. Sometimes my 150Mbps would even drop to 12 - 15 Mbps during peak hours lol.
My new Telus service fluctuates maybe 1%. See my speedtest history since I've had Telus Fiber. Shoot, I just did this speedtest, with two TV's on, and all 3 kids online (two on xbox, and one on netflix):
If anything, my speeds seemed to increase a little since around Feb of this year. I used to test regularly at 165 up/down. Now its regularly 175 up/down Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Anyways good luck with your install!
Holy smokes I didn't know Telus had such ridiculous upload speeds. Here's Shaw 150 in comparison:

I want Telus fiber now haha!
+93___FalconR___________________________🫨
Jul 10, 2007
490 posts
505 upvotes
Edmonton
I should probably start a new thread about this, but I would be interested to know what people do with all that bandwidth and upload speed.
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
FalconR wrote: Holy smokes I didn't know Telus had such ridiculous upload speeds. Here's Shaw 150 in comparison:

I want Telus fiber now haha!
You should totally get it if you can!
I am curious, it has been over a year since I've been with Shaw.
Do they still have issues with major bandwidth fluctuations during peak hours?

That, and the amount of downtime I experienced contributed to me switching over to Telus.
It was strange (the downtime I mean) considering my house at the time which was only a couple years old (so the wiring was new).
And every time I complained to Shaw, they only gave me credit for my downtime to the minute lol.
It seemed really cheap to me, since I was a customer with them for over 10 years.

Anyways, that's another thing I like about Telus so far. If they screw up (which has been rare so far), they really make it up you.
Once my home phone service went down. I called in, they had a tech come out the next day (a Saturday lol), and once it was fixed they gave me credit for the entire month Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
Mar 5, 2006
786 posts
195 upvotes
Springfield
golfcraze wrote: I should probably start a new thread about this, but I would be interested to know what people do with all that bandwidth and upload speed.
Re: bandwidth. Not sure lol. The upload is awesome when backing up photos to the cloud. That and the extremely fast ping time really makes for a highly responsive connection, especially while gaming Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Plus it's only 5 dollars difference a month compared to Telus' 50Mbps service lol. Cheaper with discounts.
The other day I called in to ask about my home phone service. I was paying ~25 bucks a month for home phone. I got some advertising for IP phone service for ~10 bucks a month. So called up Telus to see if they would match, and they did! So now my home phone is 10 bucks a month now permanently. And they threw in 30 bucks off a month (for 6 months) on my 150Mbps service for having to have to call in lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
1325 posts
429 upvotes
Homer Jay Simpson wrote: You should totally get it if you can!
I am curious, it has been over a year since I've been with Shaw.
Do they still have issues with major bandwidth fluctuations during peak hours?

That, and the amount of downtime I experienced contributed to me switching over to Telus.
It was strange (the downtime I mean) considering my house at the time which was only a couple years old (so the wiring was new).
And every time I complained to Shaw, they only gave me credit for my downtime to the minute lol.
It seemed really cheap to me, since I was a customer with them for over 10 years.

Anyways, that's another thing I like about Telus so far. If they screw up (which has been rare so far), they really make it up you.
Once my home phone service went down. I called in, they had a tech come out the next day (a Saturday lol), and once it was fixed they gave me credit for the entire month Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
Bandwidth fluctuations all the time. Sometimes it dips to 90-100 Mbps down and upload ~11-12. I have been relatively lucky in that I haven't experienced much downtime over the years. Although maybe it is just my particular area as I see complaints from other Edmontonians pretty often.

I am thinking of running a YouTube channel again so I really want that sweet upload speed you're getting! Sounds like Telus has been working brilliantly for you and I'm glad to hear it.
+93___FalconR___________________________🫨
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
just had my installation with telus, they replaced all my existing telus gear with the following

new wireless modem
new pvr box
new wireless non pvr box, but its linked to my box. (you can move this anywhere in your house or even outside)
I signed a 2 year contract.
150 bill credit.
150mb internet with 6 theme packs on the TV
77 a month in year 1
137 a month in year 2
my installer was late by 20 minutes (I had a 9-11 window, didn't show till 11:20, no calls or anything)
during this 20 minutes late, I was on the phone with telus, they gave me a 10$ a month credit for 6 months for the delays.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver
Damn. I wish Telus would cold call my building manager and/or owner. To get fibre installed in my building. Would it increase the value of the building? Only way I could see the owner letting them. And doesn't it take a few months to get the wiring etc setup? From the alley to my building?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
rocking23nf wrote: just had my installation with telus, they replaced all my existing telus gear with the following

new wireless modem
new pvr box
new wireless non pvr box, but its linked to my box. (you can move this anywhere in your house or even outside)
I signed a 2 year contract.
150 bill credit.
150mb internet with 6 theme packs on the TV
77 a month in year 1
137 a month in year 2
my installer was late by 20 minutes (I had a 9-11 window, didn't show till 11:20, no calls or anything)
during this 20 minutes late, I was on the phone with telus, they gave me a 10$ a month credit for 6 months for the delays.
Great deal. Is that unltd data?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1609 posts
2050 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: Damn. I wish Telus would cold call my building manager and/or owner. To get fibre installed in my building. Would it increase the value of the building? Only way I could see the owner letting them. And doesn't it take a few months to get the wiring etc setup? From the alley to my building?
They have to run through qualifications before they negotiate a build. Essentially every building must provide a return for Telus. So if there are too few units or the demographic doesn't fit, they might not do the build. It does increase the value of the building by a fair amount. The owners must also agree to allowing Telus to sell within the building.