Ongoing Deal Discussion

Telus

(CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 4:34 am
Tags:
Aug 28, 2017
11 posts
Phoned in and got

Telus tv offer

Internet
'Internet 100' 550gb (4x faster than what we had)
$49 until march 1st

Tv
Two theme packs & Movie channel (HBO)
$49
Until march 1st

They really wanted to sell me on a 8 theme pack package, but I only need the two

So 98.95 plus taxes
Plus 12.09 for home phone... with bundle discount....

Can I do better? How?

Also Thanks OP!
Apr 24, 2006
47 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby
We got the following:
TV Essentials + HBO for 1 month + 6 months of Crave TV + Internet 150 for $70 for 12 months.
This includes the PVR + 2 receivers (we have 3 TVs at home so it's nice of the rep to give the extra wireless receiver).

Wife called so I don't know if this includes the bundle discount or not, but it's much better than our previous bills ($120 / month). She called Telus advising that we are considering cancelling because there is a Shaw promotion with similar package for $79 for 12 months. Only spent 10 minutes on the call, no hassle at all.
Aug 27, 2012
25 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
I currently have:

Telus TV - 6 theme packs plus WorldWide Channel -Fairchild for $55

Internet 50 for $35

Home Phone for $12

Is this a decent price? It was recently renewed for another 6 months.
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm curious if Telus' internet service is better than Shaw.
I've been with Shaw for five years now and it annoys me that they keep increasing the rates every year.
I have 150 GB of monthly data (High Speed 10) and I'm paying $74 per month (incl taxes).

I came across the Telus promotion at the mall near work where it's $48 for 6 months (450GB? Not sure) and $71 per month after that.

I checked how much data I use and I'm way below my limit each month so I'm thinking I'm better off switching internet plans?
Aug 31, 2004
228 posts
275 upvotes
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote: I'm curious if Telus' internet service is better than Shaw.
I've been with Shaw for five years now and it annoys me that they keep increasing the rates every year.
I have 150 GB of monthly data (High Speed 10) and I'm paying $74 per month (incl taxes).

I came across the Telus promotion at the mall near work where it's $48 for 6 months (450GB? Not sure) and $71 per month after that.

I checked how much data I use and I'm way below my limit each month so I'm thinking I'm better off switching internet plans?
I switched in October, got in on a promo for internet 150 + Optik TV for $42 a month for 6 months - they also offered a port-in credit from Shaw for I think it was around $150.

Since then I can honestly say I'm happy. The speeds are MUCH faster than Shaw - probably it is the upload that makes the biggest difference... I'm getting 150 down and up. And it is unlimited internet per month (I usually do around 400GB or so).

Currently I'm out of promo, but recently re-negotiated my deal (even though I thought I was in contract still) - was able to get internet 150 for $45 a month for the next year. The normal price is ~$80 pre-taxes.

I would recommend, but see if you can get a deal with them and some port-in credits since you'd be coming over from Shaw. I was the same as you - got incredibly sick of Shaw bumping the prices every 6 months. I went from paying $90 a month, to almost $160 in the span of 12 months.

(Note - I'm only pay $65 combined right now for Optik TV + internet pre-taxes ... so about the same as what you're paying for your Shaw).

Good luck
Jun 28, 2011
463 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
sgdnfan wrote: I switched in October, got in on a promo for internet 150 + Optik TV for $42 a month for 6 months - they also offered a port-in credit from Shaw for I think it was around $150.

Since then I can honestly say I'm happy. The speeds are MUCH faster than Shaw - probably it is the upload that makes the biggest difference... I'm getting 150 down and up. And it is unlimited internet per month (I usually do around 400GB or so).

Currently I'm out of promo, but recently re-negotiated my deal (even though I thought I was in contract still) - was able to get internet 150 for $45 a month for the next year. The normal price is ~$80 pre-taxes.

I would recommend, but see if you can get a deal with them and some port-in credits since you'd be coming over from Shaw. I was the same as you - got incredibly sick of Shaw bumping the prices every 6 months. I went from paying $90 a month, to almost $160 in the span of 12 months.

(Note - I'm only pay $65 combined right now for Optik TV + internet pre-taxes ... so about the same as what you're paying for your Shaw).

Good luck
Thanks for your response and for mentioning the port in credit. $150 is great and yeah, I'm fed up with the yearly price increases from Shaw.
I don't have tv so it would be just internet but $48 for 450GB can't be beat.
Ok, time to make a call to Telus and switch things over.
Sep 1, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Was originally paying $35/mo for 100mbps with Telus Fiber. Friend got $30 so I called back to talk to a rep.

Got upgraded to Pure Fibre Internet 150 for $20/mo.

Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Rental: Free
Internet loyalty credit - 12 months* - effective Aug 25 to Aug 25: -$5.00
Internet loyalty credit - 12 months* - effective Aug 25 to Aug 25: -$25.00
Internet loyalty credit - 12 months* - effective Aug 25 to Aug 25: -$35.00
Pure Fibre Internet 150 (included data: 1024 GB): $85

$85 for 150 and $65 internet loyalty credits.

Good luck!
Jan 9, 2007
229 posts
12 upvotes
Ontario
Have a friend who has Shaw Direct and possibly wants to switch his phone and internet over to Shaw as well. Any deals available for this? He wants to keep his satellite though so no TV upgrade.

Location is Thunder Bay, Ontario

Thanks
Sep 27, 2009
640 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Damn I suck at negotiation 6 months into a 2 year contract and they gave me $45 off for 6 months and told me to call back again before it expires to call
Better then the first two i dealt with who offered $20 for a year
Still happy with it been happy with telus so no complaints!
May 26, 2003
465 posts
22 upvotes
ayoustark wrote: Was originally paying $35/mo for 100mbps with Telus Fiber. Friend got $30 so I called back to talk to a rep.

Good luck!
Do you only subscript the internet ? Are you telus long term customer and how long? Thanks
Sep 2, 2017
473 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
ayoustark wrote: Was originally paying $35/mo for 100mbps with Telus Fiber. Friend got $30 so I called back to talk to a rep.

Good luck!
That's an unreal deal! I'm currently paying $37/mo for 50 mbps (highest speed I can get). That is with the student discount and service bundle discount since I have cell service with them.
Mar 19, 2009
365 posts
128 upvotes
YVR
On a 2 year TV contract this is what I got for the first year

Internet 50 for 40 bucks
Essentials plus Favorites for 25 bucks

Very happy with it. Just gotta call in after the 1st year to hopefully extend the promos
Sep 1, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
microserf wrote: Do you only subscript the internet ? Are you telus long term customer and how long? Thanks
Internet only... We stream everything at home.

Live in Alberta in a Fibre area. Been with Telus since 2014 on a student plan ($40/mo for 25mbps).

No longer a student, I negotiated for 100mbps fibre at $35/mo last year.

I got the 150mbps for $20 this past weekend. Both times I called it was easy with no issues.
Last edited by ayoustark on Sep 4th, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes
ayoustark wrote: Internet only... We stream everything at home.

Live in Alberta in a Fibre area. Been with Telus since 2014 on a student plan ($40/mo for 25mbps).

I got the 150mbps for $20 this past weekend. Both times I called it was easy with no issues.
Is that on a 1 or 2 yr contract?
Sep 1, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Seks wrote: Is that on a 1 or 2 yr contract?
I've never been on contract. It's always month to month. The first rep I talked to simply asked if I wanted the same deal as last year. The second rep did say $65 in discounts was pretty high and moved me onto the new cheaper plan price while leaving the discount intact.

The prices stay for 12 months at which point I can renegotiate again. I will say this year's renegotiation was easier than most.

But to answer your question again: no contract.
May 26, 2003
465 posts
22 upvotes
ayoustark wrote: Internet only... We stream everything at home.

Thank so much for your valuable information. Even though I dealt with Telus over 40 years can't get the deals even close to yours. Maybe I have to negotiate again. Thanks again.
ps: ayoustark you real name? :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2611 posts
2204 upvotes
Canada
I was able to contact Telus regarding my account and they were more than accommodating. Although it took 45 minutes on hold to speak to someone it was worth it.

Shaw had offered me $80/mth over 12 months no contract for Internet 150 and medium tv (with HBO/Movie channels free for 2 months) including a $200 account credit for Telus cancellation costs.

Telus offered me our current plan ($144.90) Internet 50 (fastest in our area) and You Pick 6 bundle for a new price of $74.90/6 mths. They also included HBO, CraveTV and Movie Networks for free and included unlimited bandwidth. I would say this is more than fair and I am very happy. They also gave me the option to lock in a price of $104/mth for 12 months but I decided at their discretion to take the 6 month offer and call back when its close to going back to full price.
Jan 19, 2010
84 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Contacted Telus regarding my account that I've had with them for the past 4 years (never paid full price, always called in and got a better deal to stay). My 1 year promo is ending in October and I asked them if they can upgrade my internet to what Shaw has.

Previous Plan with Telus:

Internet 25 with Unlimited Data
6 Themes Pack
$60 not including tax

New Plan with Telus:

Internet 100 with Unlimited Data
6 Theme pack with 1 free one
$70 not including tax

I started paying $40 for internet 25 with 6 theme pack back in december 2014 when they had a promotion for christmas. Ever since then i've been calling in before my promo ends and they have extended me but will increase by like $5-$10

Most likely after this promo ends in 6 months I'll be cutting off some of the theme packs and see what other promo they got for me :):)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1595 posts
1210 upvotes
Nanaimo
I'm an existing Telus customer, my bill went from $115 a month with tax (after adding HBO) to $166. I just called Telus:

Got Internet 150 for $45 a month for 6 months and TV with 3 bundles (including HBO, sports, HGTV bundle) for $55 for first 6 months, so total is $100 + tax

If I cancel HBO it'll go down $20 a month to $80 total for internet 150 and tv+2 bundles. So less than I was paying before on the promo.
Feb 25, 2011
195 posts
121 upvotes
Calgary
Hi klawman19 - does your Internet 50 include unlimited usage? TIA
klawman19 wrote: After a year of free internet 15 and basic TV because of the new condo I moved into, I called in and this is what I got:

2 year contract (on TV)
Optik TV Pick 6 $25
Internet 50 for $40
2 free box rentals (1 4k + 1 wireless box)
upgraded modem to handle the higher speed
3 free movies
12 month price

He said he could not go lower than $65 with the combo above when I told him someone got it for $60 (from one of the threads above). In the end, he was nice and threw in 1 more theme pack for free.

I could have gone to Internet 100 for $5 more / 150 for $9 more but I don't need that much speed given our online habits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)