Ongoing Deal Discussion

Telus

(CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:19 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
gundamwingZero wrote: Are customers under a 2-year contract usually SOL when trying to re-negotiate for new price?
I called in just now and the rep is not even giving me discount on my internet 50 ($77) and for the tv; basic plus sports/family pack and hbo (less $10) for $77
He will only give me less $15 for the total of the services... I will call again in a couple of days...
When does your term end? And not to be an ass but you say he won't give you a discount but then you say he offered $15 off?
Jun 7, 2010
86 posts
5 upvotes
Are there any deals to be had for new Shaw customers looking to sign up? Or only what's on their website?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
I seem to have struck out as well... I just spent the last 45 min on the phone being transferred all over and there are no discounts available on pure fibre
They dont even want to update my current credits
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
I called Telus first thing this morning. This was my third attempt within a week. I tried to get them to price match VMedia's offer of $35/month for 12-months or 50Mbps Internet and unlimited data, but they wouldn't budge. I even told them I'd upgrade to the 100Mbps or 150Mbps if Telus offered it in my area, but alas it is not.

The first CSR forwarded me to loyalties/retention right away when I quoted VMedia's promo. I argued with the second CSR for a while, because the best he could do is $50/month 12-months. Then I told him to pass the call onto someone that can match VMedia's price, because he was useless to me. He passed the call onto his "manager", and he wasn't budging either. He basically told me I haven't paid the market rate for the past 7 years and I've run out of lives. I also can't get what my brother is getting because they won't compare credits/promos between different customers. In the end, he was able to give me Internet 50 with unlimited data for 12-months at $45/month.

Not as good I got l last year (Internet 50 + unlimited data + OptikTV + Essentials TV package for $40/month), but still better than what the majority pay.

At some point, I'll have to switch off Telus to get better pricing. Been with them for about 7-years now. I really don't want to switch to cable Internet through Shaw, so VMedia or TekSavvy might be my only options.

I suspect because many of us got smoking deals from Telus last year, they're probably a little reluctant to hand out deals to those customers again.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
It looks as though the deals people are getting are area specific... I just did a dummy order online and used my neighbors addy as he has shaw and there are no deals available in the area...
This could be why some are having luck while others are not... When I called in I was offered nothing off the regular price and that was going through to loyalty and then on to a manager
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
shushwap wrote: It looks as though the deals people are getting are area specific... I just did a dummy order online and used my neighbors addy as he has shaw and there are no deals available in the area...
This could be why some are having luck while others are not... When I called in I was offered nothing off the regular price and that was going through to loyalty and then on to a manager
You might have to find a lower price from a competitor, and then try to convince them to price match that. I tried to convince the CSR I spoke to, to price match VMedia's DSL price in Ontario, and I'm in Alberta... lol.

http://www.vmedia.ca/en/internet/

Alternatively, you can look at the following link to see which ISPs are in your area, and if they offer comparable service for less money.
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/comm/compar.htm

The individual that manages the CRTC's Reddit account, sent me that link.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2185 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
Howdy. Interesting all the different deals. I think I need to get a better deal from Shaw. I am a long time customer.

This is what I pay now. I have a promotion that ends in Dec. I sure do not want to pay an extra 100 bucks per month. Should I switch to Telus?

Premier TV 95.00
Discovery Velocity 4.00
Internet 60 99.00
Personal Phone xxx 10.00
Personal Phone xxx 18.00
Personal Phone with Unlimited CAN/US Calls - VM/CW 20.00

Premier TV Promotion (expires 14-Dec-17) -45.00
Internet 60 Promotion (expires 14-Dec-17) -49.00
May 26, 2003
465 posts
22 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: You might have to find a lower price from a competitor, and then try to convince them to price match that. I tried to convince the CSR I spoke to, to price match VMedia's DSL price in Ontario, and I'm in Alberta... lol.

http://www.vmedia.ca/en/internet/

Alternatively, you can look at the following link to see which ISPs are in your area, and if they offer comparable service for less money.
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/comm/compar.htm

The individual that manages the CRTC's Reddit account, sent me that link.
If you want a good deal, you have to get black and white from their competitors to prove you getting such deal. Then they don't have excuse to bulge you. Good luck for hunting.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
microserf wrote: If you want a good deal, you have to get black and white from their competitors to prove you getting such deal. Then they don't have excuse to bulge you. Good luck for hunting.
Doesn't work... they saw the VMedia pricing on their website, and flat out told me they couldn't match that.
Sep 26, 2015
816 posts
434 upvotes
For a new customer, what do they typically offer for internet 150 and a small tv package?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
nagooro wrote: For a new customer, what do they typically offer for internet 150 and a small tv package?
Whatever they have posted on there site...
On another note I was able to get Telus to re new all my credits on my account
I am more then happy to keep paying $25 for internet 25 and unlimited data
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
Just west of Victoria. Telus gave us a good price last year but the deal ends today.

New options are:

Internet 25: $55/month
Internet 250: $90/month
Internet 1000: $150/month

Notes:

internet 150 is no longer available in our area. Internet 25 (non fibre) went from $30/ month to 55/ month.
Internet 50 is available as a grandfathered plan for 88. This pricing will be gone soon.

This info is for the southern part of the island. For anyone on fibre.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
MMMM wrote: Just west of Victoria. Telus gave us a good price last year but the deal ends today.

New options are:

Internet 25: $55/month
Internet 250: $90/month
Internet 1000: $150/month

Notes:

internet 150 is no longer available in our area. Internet 25 (non fibre) went from $30/ month to 55/ month.
Internet 50 is available as a grandfathered plan for 88. This pricing will be gone soon.

This info is for the southern part of the island. For anyone on fibre.
Isn't the secret to call, choose the menu options for cancelling, and mention you're thinking of switching to Shaw? It's the retention deals you want, not the regular posted prices? :)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
zod wrote: Isn't the secret to call, choose the menu options for cancelling, and mention you're thinking of switching to Shaw? It's the retention deals you want, not the regular posted prices? :)
That is pure fiber retentions(BC). When I asked about testing 1K with better pricing, there was no budging on the amount. But this is Telus and time is our side. The share price is on a downward trend since May. Telus is spending a chunk on the pure fiber roll out and wants a big return. Pretty sure Telus will ramp up the deals again at some point.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
gundamwingZero wrote: Are customers under a 2-year contract usually SOL when trying to re-negotiate for new price?
I called in just now and the rep is not even giving me discount on my internet 50 ($77) and for the tv; basic plus sports/family pack and hbo (less $10) for $77
He will only give me less $15 for the total of the services... I will call again in a couple of days...
I did ok last year and I was on year 2 of a 3 year contract.

I chose the option for cancelling in the menu. I asked what my break fee would cost to cancel (which for the old 3 year contracts is $10/month for the remaining months). The rep straight up asked why and I mentioned that shaw was offering me 150mbps at a price that was so low it was worth paying the break fee. He asked if I would give him chance to retain my business. He offered me Internet 50, Unlimited Data, Essentials TV, and the Sports Addon for $63/month (which went up to 68 mid year when the bundle discount decreased). I thought that was pretty good so I stayed. Not only that but hanging around for another year reduces my break fee by another $120.

I barely watch conventional TV anymore. All I use it for is local news and watching a little sports. My deal runs out Oct 18th, so in the next few weeks I'll be calling up again. I hope it's as easy as last year. I am pretty enticed by having 150mbps interent. If Telus gives me a good deal again, I'll stay for another year. If they don't, I'm done with TV services, so I'll cancel internet/tv with Telus and get internet 150 from shaw. I think that gives me serious leverage as i'm completely on the fence of whether to stay with Telus or pay the break fee and go to Shaw.

Paying the break fee isn't really a deal breaker give how decent shaws intro deal is (and that they can offer 3x the internet speed of what Telus can sell me). Telus has to undercut Shaw to keep on the slower internet.. lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
MMMM wrote: That is pure fiber retentions(BC). When I asked about testing 1K with better pricing, there was no budging on the amount. But this is Telus and time is our side. The share price is on a downward trend since May. Telus is spending a chunk on the pure fiber roll out and wants a big return. Pretty sure Telus will ramp up the deals again at some point.
The other thing too, is Telus has been focused on building the fibre out to smaller communities and the less densely populated areas of the bigger cities. They've left giant numbers of people not qualifying for faster speeds. It was an odd way to do it because it leaves the biggest populations not qualifying for fibre, and in a position to defect to Shaw for the better speeds/deals.
Sep 1, 2017
57 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
zod wrote: The other thing too, is Telus has been focused on building the fibre out to smaller communities and the less densely populated areas of the bigger cities. They've left giant numbers of people not qualifying for faster speeds. It was an odd way to do it because it leaves the biggest populations not qualifying for fibre, and in a position to defect to Shaw for the better speeds/deals.
Not sure who you were speaking with regarding your Shaw services, but often times Shaw will offer credits to essentially pay off your cancellation fees as well.
Lobbytime
Sep 17, 2005
599 posts
68 upvotes
credits were expiring next month, called and re-upped for the year at $85 / mth (Internet Fibre 150 w/ unlimited bandwidth & TV Essentials w/ 6 theme pack), I didn't really play hardball at all and probably could have got a better price, since I was paying $55 the past year for Internet 50 and TV w/ 6 theme pack. Just really wanted to upgrade internet speed.
XBL - airjordan604 | PSN - airjordan604
Mar 14, 2017
236 posts
191 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I signed up last year at $47/mth for internet 150 only. Promo price for 12 months. This was expiring in October and would revert to regular price of $85/mth less a $5/mth loyalty credit. Called into customer service, transferred to loyalty, best they would do is match Shaw's 2-year offer for their 150 service. Had to sign a 2-year contract. New price $49/mth for first 12 months, then $85/mth for next 12 months. Requested and was granted a one-time $50 bill credit to match Shaw's sign-up offer. I'm told the cancellation is $10/mth if I choose to cancel services before my contract ends. Loyalty rep said I could call in after my first 12 months to see if they could offer anything better than the $85/mth rate.

Not sure if I could have done better, but I'm satisfied for now.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Interplanetary Explorer Extraordinaire
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
Sounds like good credits are still available depending on the rep you get and your current situation. For those trying to get the lowest price per month, don't compare with others here. Sometimes, it's luck, sometimes is certain circumstance. Most users who have been sharing are saving over $400-$500 (at least) per year. Where else can you save that kind of money today? Enjoy it!