• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 2:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton

Telus direct-to-customer fibre deal?

So I just had a couple of Telus guys knock on my door (in Edmonton, AB). Here's what they had to offer:
  • 150Mb fibre connection
  • Free tv service (probably whatever is their cheapest)
  • Free home phone
$65 per month.

They assured me that was not a promotional price, and it would never go up (hmm...). They also said that if I didn't use the tv or the phone service (I wouldn't) then I would get some kind of "credits" which would bring the price down to $50 per month.

Here's the kicker. They said because this is a part of the "direct-to-customer" program, none of this is advertised anywhere online or in print.

It sounds like it might be a better deal than what I'm getting right now with Teksavvy but it's setting off my "too-good-to-be-true" warning bells. Also I tend not to trust door-to-door salespeople with no verifiable documentation.

Has anybody else seen this before? Does a Telus direct-to-customer program actually exist? And also importantly, are there some limits that they're not telling me about? Like is there actually a two-year time limit or something before they jack up the price?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4747 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver
Whether Telus can jack the price will be in the fine print. Make sure you read it before signing anything. "Free TV and home phone for an extra $15" made me laugh out loud.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9017 posts
5489 upvotes
Edmonton
Ozariig wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 10:41 pm
So I just had a couple of Telus guys knock on my door (in Edmonton, AB). Here's what they had to offer:
  • 150Mb fibre connection
  • Free tv service (probably whatever is their cheapest)
  • Free home phone
$65 per month.

They assured me that was not a promotional price, and it would never go up (hmm...). They also said that if I didn't use the tv or the phone service (I wouldn't) then I would get some kind of "credits" which would bring the price down to $50 per month.

Here's the kicker. They said because this is a part of the "direct-to-customer" program, none of this is advertised anywhere online or in print.

It sounds like it might be a better deal than what I'm getting right now with Teksavvy but it's setting off my "too-good-to-be-true" warning bells. Also I tend not to trust door-to-door salespeople with no verifiable documentation.

Has anybody else seen this before? Does a Telus direct-to-customer program actually exist? And also importantly, are there some limits that they're not telling me about? Like is there actually a two-year time limit or something before they jack up the price?
What part of town are you in? They're supposed to be bringing fiber to our neighborhood this spring...

C
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:18 am
What part of town are you in? They're supposed to be bringing fiber to our neighborhood this spring...

C
If it's legit then I think it's part of their fibre roll-out. I live in Duggan.

They didn't have any print contracts for me to review, it was all on their iPads (another red flag, imo). I've asked them to send me the details and will post them here if they get back to me.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
3 posts
Edmonton
Telus guy called me back. He said that all their stuff is on their iPads and there is no way to give me a copy of the offer except as a confirmation after I've accepted the offer from them in-person. He assured me that I would have an opportunity to cancel between then and the service appointment if I didn't like something that I saw, but of course the onus would be on me to intervene and get in touch with Telus in order to cancel.

This sounds like high-pressure-salesperson stuff to me, so I told him no thanks. Is anybody else put off by this stuff or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9017 posts
5489 upvotes
Edmonton
If you have any questions, I would call Telus back directly and see if this is on the up-and-up. Did they show any id, and if so, was it actual Telus ID?

C