• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 10:00 pm
[OP]
Mar 8, 2005
339 posts
100 upvotes
St. Jonh's

[Telus] Echo Dot - $39.99 and Google Daydream - $49.99 Instore Only YMMV

Was in a Telus retail store and they had the Echo Dot for $39.99 instead of $49.99. Another store had the Google Daydream View for $99.99 and an additional 50% off making it $49.99 even though its on the website for $139.99. This could be only at these stores or nation wide YMMV. These were the stores in St. John's, NL.
Last edited by Talktomy9Iron on Dec 7th, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as too many games.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4860 posts
1376 upvotes
ON
Put in store only on title, save many the aggravation.
Nov 14, 2006
545 posts
118 upvotes
Calgary
Is this for the first gen or second gen View? I'm guessing first based on the 99.99 MSRP.
Nov 14, 2006
545 posts
118 upvotes
Calgary
Here's a post from this thread for reference.

Sicklyslick
Oct 12th, 2017 8:27 pm
This is 1st gen (older model) Daydream view for sure!!

The Daydream View launched in a "Slate" color option. Two new color choices, "Crimson" and "Snow", became available on December 8, 2016.

The second-generation Daydream View was unveiled during the Made by Google 2017 event. For the first time, it is available in three colors, namely: Charcoal, Fog, and Coral. It is largely similar to the first-generation, with a few improvements, including a new design and wider field of view. It is to be released on 19 October 2017 and will have a launch price of US$99.

The one from Rogers is the Slate colour.
[OP]
Mar 8, 2005
339 posts
100 upvotes
St. Jonh's
Probably was the first Gen then that would make sense why it was so cheap. I never checked the model. I didn't realize there were 2 versions.
There's no such thing as too many games.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2246 posts
775 upvotes
QC, Canada
just called few telus store in quebec, and they received some, but can't sell them under any circumstance because they only have the english language installed. Try to argue with them that I don't care but they would not move
Dec 7, 2017
1 posts
Just went to Telus store in richmond and got 2 echi dot. Thx OP

They arent on display but staff showed me after I asked for them. Cheaper than order from Amazon.ca ($49.99)
Oct 14, 2007
73 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
Bought an Echo Dot gen 2 at TELUS store in Calgary, Market Mall Flagship store today... came up as 39.99 so it might be nationwide but YMMV as OP stated. Website is showing at 49.99 so suggest you go in store and have them punch it up at the register to see what the price is.
Oct 2, 2013
777 posts
179 upvotes
this makes me really want to get an echo dot....
can someone tells me what echo can do but GH can't?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1488 posts
82 upvotes
Hamilton
Did he say how long sale is on. ?
Sam wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:42 pm
Thanks op just picked one up from Fairview Mall. The manager override the price since its suppose to be on sale.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Nov 21, 2017
6 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:56 pm
Same here! I want to try Alexa just because she has some different skills released that GH doesn't have (like Plex and Sonos -- both of which I heavily use).
For Plex I've been using Phlex as an intermediary but it sometimes has issues finding my chromecasts.
I have 7 Google home devices scattered throughout the house and I must say they're pretty slick. Quite good with natural language and not having to remember specific commands... Enough that the nanny or babysitter can figure out how to control the lights and music.
Having said that, I"m still pretty eager to give Alexa a try....

MDU
Nobody doesn't like free.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3463 posts
937 upvotes
Moncton
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:56 pm
Audio out. If you have some desktop speakers or for some reason want to use headphones, Echo wins. If using Bluetooth it doesn’t matter. The Echo can also read your Kindle books out loud. Although I found even in the Indian accent, the novelty of that wore off quickly. You can also make voice purchases. Amazon is making me sign for that toothbrush I ordered (to my shagrin, delivered by UPS instead of Canada Post).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Dec 16, 2011
97 posts
109 upvotes
which telus store in richmond? thanks
Oct 2, 2013
777 posts
179 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:52 pm
Audio out. If you have some desktop speakers or for some reason want to use headphones, Echo wins. If using Bluetooth it doesn’t matter. The Echo can also read your Kindle books out loud. Although I found even in the Indian accent, the novelty of that wore off quickly. You can also make voice purchases. Amazon is making me sign for that toothbrush I ordered (to my shagrin, delivered by UPS instead of Canada Post).
I was planning to have a echo dot connecting to soundbar in our living room, but learned that echo dot's 3.5mm is not able to have optical out like Chromecast Audio does, so I grabbed a Chromecast Audio when it's on sale last week, but I might rethink it and possibly return the Chromecast Audio. So is this Telus 39.99 price nationwide available?
MyDesiredUsername wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:46 pm
Same here! I want to try Alexa just because she has some different skills released that GH doesn't have (like Plex and Sonos -- both of which I heavily use).
For Plex I've been using Phlex as an intermediary but it sometimes has issues finding my chromecasts.
I have 7 Google home devices scattered throughout the house and I must say they're pretty slick. Quite good with natural language and not having to remember specific commands... Enough that the nanny or babysitter can figure out how to control the lights and music.
Having said that, I"m still pretty eager to give Alexa a try....

MDU
so if echo can control Plex, that means it can access my entire local music library and play them?
that sounds more interesting
I haven't paid to much attention to echo, does it require more specific language command to make things happen?
e.g when I say Kitchen light on or Turn on Kitchen light, GH will do the same thing, how about echo?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)