Expired Hot Deals

[Telus] Essential PH(one) Price dropped again at Telus/Koodo, 460$ outright

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2018 10:12 pm
Aug 14, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Amazing phone for the price I just hate the vibration feedback feels very cheap and springy
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
canucktfi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 1:18 am
still playing with mine for the past week and not my main phone yet. Bought it at bestbuy, black, new grill sealed, no sim required. running oreo b3. Went to check and find receipt to credit the bestbuy rewards. Thought I left it in the box so I checked it, there was a bug squished in there... Have to snap a pic of it but definitely not from this house or from storage since the box seals up pretty tight (looked pretty dry). Looks like it was in there and squished during box manufacturing/packaging. It's -10 - -20C here, these sort of bugs don't exist here in Calgary at this time of year. Might be just where the box was manufactured and not indicative of the phone manufacture quality or it could...

But I think it'll be a keeper, the hardware is top notch, the software is meh, but that looks like its changing.
So I can drop by any BestBuy and buy the Essential outright for $460?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
With the latest price drop, I'm more tempted than ever to give this a shot even though I have a S8 with more or less identical hardware as the Essential. Any suggestions on a case and screen protector to get for this phone?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 4:03 pm
I found it to be an excellent and underrated phone. I always found it breezing fast. It also has an LCD screen, which is a big plus since all AMOLED screens suffer from terrible uneven corner tint issues. At this price it is more than worth it.

The only thing I would say is don't try to order a tempered glass screen protector for it, none of them fit the phone well and they all leave big unstuck margins. Order a pack of protective films for the PH-1 from Amazon instead.

Also there is now a mod for it where you can get the Pixel 2's Google HDR+ camera. Other phones so far only had the Pixel 1's camera app.
Which one did you get?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 8:08 pm
Indeed, I didn't experience any problems whatsoever.

One particular thing is that OTA updates will be delayed a lot if you have no sim card in the phone (or a Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile one). If you want to get OTA updates the moment they are released, and not one month later, you can simply insert any other SIM card in the phone, reboot, and you will get the latest updates.

I just use an old pre-paid SIM card from one of my trips to Asia a few years ago and it works perfectly fine.
OTA updates doesn't work unless there's a simcard inside?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
brunes wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 8:22 pm
I have this phone. I got it for the $399 US deal from Amazon.

My $0.02 - for the price this is the best phone on the market right now. It is a BEAUTIFUL phone and hard to describe... I have had so many people approach me and ask what kind of phone it was... Multiple people ask "is that the new iPhone???"

This phone deserves a crystal clear case. Dont cover it up in black.

Performance and lag CAN be annoying on this phone - but it pretty much all disappears if you sign up for the Oreo beta.

The only complaints I have are that it doesn't work with QC quickcharge chargers - they can actually make the phone lock up so be careful - and, the 360 camera behaves flakey (doesn't always auto launch).
Which crystal clear case are you using?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
zivan56 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 10:55 pm
I ordered one and was amazed by it. Much more impressive than my Pixel 2, and it actually seems less buggy than the Pixel somehow. Only thing that I did not like was the camera, for which the low-light quality is absolute garbage.

Already sent one to a friend overseas, as this phone supports pretty much every single provider you can image worldwide.
I rooted it, and found it actually supports:
1/2/3/4/5/7/8/11/12/13/17/18/19/20/21/25/26/28/29/30/32/38/39/40/41/42/43/66
Quite a few are not listed on the site.
It also supports many UMTS/GSM bands, so a great truly international phone.
That's what I read about as well. Have you tried using this phone overseas yet?
Jan 28, 2015
107 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Cisco KId wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 12:34 pm
You can find 3T's on websites such as Craigslist or Kijjiji or Swappa, its all gonna be dependent where you live, I found one for $300 w warranty. I consider that alot less than $460+ tax BUT it is used and not everyone is fine with buying a used phone. I bought a 1.5 mth old mint with all accessories HTC U11 for 500, used it 3 mths and sold it for $475, now nI have to say that is a really solid phone, light years over a G6 I tried
I'm selling mine for $325
OP3 with karbon case
Holla
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
seeparks wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 6:56 am
I bought this phone from Telus to use with the Fido 3GB tablet plan and so far so good. The signal strength could be better but I'm not having any real problems / issues so far. The build quality is good and I really like the materials used. I believe I have the old speaker grill but have no problems with it at all. It may be because I'm using a case with the phone though. I highly recommend the Tudia ceramic feel case. It has glass on the back and retains the premium feel of the phone. My main phone is an iPhone 7. This is my second phone for a slightly larger screen and more data.
How can one tell whether it has the old speaker grill or the new one? What do you think of the battery life?
Mar 16, 2008
122 posts
62 upvotes
To solve the sensitivity issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samep
I asked Essential about this and here's their reply

Navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Talkback > Settings > Gestures > Tap Detector Sensitivity*
Set it to High*

Hold and delay:*
1. Tap on the "Settings" icon on the home screen.*
2. Scroll down to the "System" section and tap on "Accessibility".*
3. Scroll down to the "System" section and tap on "Touch & hold delay".*
4. Tap on the delay option that you would like to use to trigger "Touch and hold" – the options are "Short", "Medium" or "Long".*
5. See which option best suits your needs.**

Sensitivity:**
1. Tap on the "Settings" icon on the home screen.*
2. Tap "Language and Input".*
3. Scroll to the very bottom of these settings and tap "Pointer Speed".*
4. Increase the slider to make the touch screen more sensitive and easier to tap. Decrease the slider to make your touch screen less sensitive and more difficult to tap.*
5. Tap "OK" and then experiment with the results.*

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18270 posts
269 upvotes
YVR
evanwier wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 12:55 pm
Mine just arrived yesterday - really like it - the build quality/in-hand feel are really really nice, better than I expected.

The camera for sure sucks when you compare it to S8+/Pixel XL/Pixel 2 (2 XL)/Note8 - there is just no way around that point. The good news is, it's software - so I will wait til after they release 8.1 before I go rooting and google camera route.

Either way, overall very impressed for the price you just can't beat it.
Did you ordered it online? Did you get the one with the new speaker grill?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
1217 posts
567 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:38 pm
Did you ordered it online? Did you get the one with the new speaker grill?
I honestly don't know how to tell for sure lol
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2120 posts
238 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
zivan56 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 11:12 pm
FYI, this phone supports Rogers VoLTE and VoWiFi (calling over LTE and calling over WiFi), which is amazing. The only other device that supports it, that you do not have to buy from Rogers for IMEI whitelist, is the Pixel 2.
Hopefully Rogers doesn't end up blacklisting it in the future.
Did you have to do anything for the settings to appear?
Nov 13, 2005
154 posts
98 upvotes
Calgary
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 8:45 pm
So I can drop by any BestBuy and buy the Essential outright for $460?
yup, it was painless. they had stock, just asked to buy it outright, he got the box and paid, no sim, no pressure, paid and left. Their display shows outright purchase as well I think. Can't argue with you on that.