• Aug 15th, 2018 3:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
canucktfi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 3:29 pm
yup, it was painless. they had stock, just asked to buy it outright, he got the box and paid, no sim, no pressure, paid and left. Their display shows outright purchase as well I think. Can't argue with you on that.
how many security updates did your new one go through, I would guess 5 including yesterday latest release. Be very interesting to see when they launch 8.1
Nov 13, 2005
155 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
At least 3 more reboots after each reboot, another update. Rinse and repeat. Then played with it like that for a few days. Camera is slow but no crashing. Then did the beta 3 update. Then I did have some camera app crashes. Although there have been some camera updates. Grill is still good, looks like metal one. Can't really say there is lag on the screen either. Did the tweak to the touch response and can't say it got better or worse since I didn't notice a problem with it in the first place. Got the carbon case and like it. Adds some grip to it and very slim. The 8 pack of screen protectors as well, one scratched quickly putting it in a pocket. Waiting for a tempered glass version which Amazon says arrives in a couple weeks. Only quirks so far is an odd Google maps thing today. Tracking my GPS position seemed little laggy. Position pointer would jerk in the direction I was heading in. Used maps night before and it was fine. Map for Calgary is downloaded as well to the device and full Bell LTE signal. Or could coincide with the round metal disk I slipped in the middle of the case for a car magnet mount. Other minor issue is the device wakes up and shows the time when it is moved I suppose. Not great when sleeping on the magnetic mount and vibrating while driving, keeps waking up. But light use so far and charge goes for 2 days plus. It'll be my main driver once I can get a bell nano SIM from the other work phone. Need work to send me a free one :)
May 14, 2013
72 posts
77 upvotes
canucktfi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:35 pm
Other minor issue is the device wakes up and shows the time when it is moved I suppose. Not great when sleeping on the magnetic mount and vibrating while driving, keeps waking up. But light use so far and charge goes for 2 days plus. It'll be my main driver once I can get a bell nano SIM from the other work phone. Need work to send me a free one :)
Go to your display settings and look for "Lift to check phone". You can turn it off if you don't want it to keep showing the time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
Zensa06 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:53 pm
Go to your display settings and look for "Lift to check phone". You can turn it off if you don't want it to keep showing the time.
Thats a feature I love but wish it had tap to wake like op, glass screen protectors are available on amazon.com but I see canucktfi is in Calgary so it is the .ca site he must wait on
May 14, 2013
72 posts
77 upvotes
Cisco KId wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 12:41 am
Thats a feature I love but wish it had tap to wake like op, glass screen protectors are available on amazon.com but I see canucktfi is in Calgary so it is the .ca site he must wait on
I believe tap to wake is coming in 8.1
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
Zensa06 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 12:56 am
I believe tap to wake is coming in 8.1
One can only hope so, 8.1 drops this weekend if you want to root and install, lots of info over at xda
Jun 4, 2010
202 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
My biggest concern with getting this phone is that all the reviews say it gets bad reception. Can anyone with this phone comment on the reception they're getting?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
1444 posts
766 upvotes
Vancouver
Xodus22 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 2:21 pm
My biggest concern with getting this phone is that all the reviews say it gets bad reception. Can anyone with this phone comment on the reception they're getting?
No issues vs my Pixel 2 XL, both seem fine, but I am not in a particularly bad area or anything.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
Xodus22 wrote:
For limited use over last week my reception has been fine on Virgin, it has done no worse than previous phone and a current temporary (and I hate it) 6S Plus as well as previous HTC U11 and P10 Plus. I am getting close to considering keeping this phone having bought it at BB discounted additionally with BB dollars, every little bit helps right but a 3T would also cut it for me used saving $200, I am looking to the next round of phones
Sep 5, 2011
580 posts
120 upvotes
Charlottetown
Got the offer from Koodo self service this morning to upgrade to Essential phone $0 on tab medium, same as BF deal. Think im taking the plunge!
Feb 10, 2004
895 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
just logged into the self service portal, have the Essential offer as well. Looks like it's applicable to my $60/10GB plan.
Already got the S8 from the Christmas promo, else I would have went with this one. Looks to be a really good deal for the price!
"I had only one superstition. I made sure to touch all the bases when I hit a home run."
- Babe Ruth
Sep 5, 2011
580 posts
120 upvotes
Charlottetown
They are also having a sale on plans, probably won't apply to you Ontario..ians, but they look better than the BD sales where the bonus data expired after 24 months. Current deals don't have expiring data
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
2709 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stutterboi wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:36 am
just logged into the self service portal, have the Essential offer as well. Looks like it's applicable to my $60/10GB plan.
Already got the S8 from the Christmas promo, else I would have went with this one. Looks to be a really good deal for the price!
So it's not available for new customers? :(
Aug 28, 2015
8 posts
7 upvotes
Whitby, ON
FYI guys I don't think they want us returning and rebuying so they this is what happened when I tried..

Called this morning to return the phone and was going to rebuy for $0 but he offered me 215 dollar credit to my tab plus switched my plan to 8 gbs for 60 dollars.

So in the end I ended up paying 265 plus tax for the phone.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16489 posts
5068 upvotes
Toronto
Xodus22 wrote:
Reception is excellent for me. It is the best phone I have had so far for reception strength. My only gripe is with the battery losing track of its charge level when exposed to cold. I am afraid to go for a replacement because of concerns with other problems. I am stuck with the devil that you know conundrum.