• Aug 15th, 2018 3:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
Eluder wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:42 am
I finally popped in a SIM into the phone to try it out (Rogers) and reception and speeds on LTE were horrendous for me where my S8 is solid and super fast (LTE+).
I was on the Oreo B3 and experienced this so I flashed back to the final 7.1.1 w/the Feb security patch and it was just as bad. Guess this phone is really hit or miss on reception.
I'll likely be returning this as it's just too poor on reception, which is too bad as I loved everything else about the phone.

Thats too bad, have not experienced this
Dec 22, 2013
11 posts
Picked up the PH-1 after going back and forth about the issues with cell signal. Decided that I would return it if the signal was terrible. Sample size of 1 but the PH-1 gets better reception than my old LG G4 (in my room, in a piss poor area of cell signal I would get about -115, but now it's up to about -105 to -100), at SFU about -95 to -85 and in East Van around the Cambie-Broadway area I get between -100 to -90 which is perfectly fine with me. Had one issue with the LTE not turning on after losing Wifi but haven't had that issue since.

Regarding battery, for some reason Play Services drained about 25-30% of my battery yesterday in a full use, but I went back to the account settings to turn a few things off and tone some sync frequencies and we'll see if that helps. Otherwise, decent usage from 6:30 AM to 6 PM left me at around 15% battery, even with the abnormal drain, which I'm hoping can be fixed. Way better than my G4 which I would have to start charging at around 1 PM.

So far, so good. Phone is snappy, but I do notice the touch lag; doesn't bother me that much though, especially since I know fixes are most likely on the way and I don't notice it until I'm really looking for it. Annoyed at that the USB-C doesn't have a USB end, so I'm having to buy USB-C adapters just to connect my phone to my laptop from Amazon.

If you're like me and you like a case, the PH-1 might not be an excellent choice; not too many 3rd party vendors have cases compared to flag ships and the one they sell at Telus is atrocious (I'm returning mine next week). Not many screen protectors either; just picking up the pack of 8 from Amazon and hoping it turns out okay.

Maybe I should have waited for another price drop but given that the OP5T is about 700 dollars right now, I decided to jump ship, especially the Canadian prices are much lower than those by American vendors and I was sick of having to charge my phone multiple times in the day.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
eraddd wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:33 pm
Picked up the PH-1 after going back and forth about the issues with cell signal. Decided that I would return it if the signal was terrible. Sample size of 1 but the PH-1 gets better reception than my old LG G4 (in my room, in a piss poor area of cell signal I would get about -115, but now it's up to about -105 to -100), at SFU about -95 to -85 and in East Van around the Cambie-Broadway area I get between -100 to -90 which is perfectly fine with me. Had one issue with the LTE not turning on after losing Wifi but haven't had that issue since.

Regarding battery, for some reason Play Services drained about 25-30% of my battery yesterday in a full use, but I went back to the account settings to turn a few things off and tone some sync frequencies and we'll see if that helps. Otherwise, decent usage from 6:30 AM to 6 PM left me at around 15% battery, even with the abnormal drain, which I'm hoping can be fixed. Way better than my G4 which I would have to start charging at around 1 PM.

So far, so good. Phone is snappy, but I do notice the touch lag; doesn't bother me that much though, especially since I know fixes are most likely on the way and I don't notice it until I'm really looking for it. Annoyed at that the USB-C doesn't have a USB end, so I'm having to buy USB-C adapters just to connect my phone to my laptop from Amazon.

If you're like me and you like a case, the PH-1 might not be an excellent choice; not too many 3rd party vendors have cases compared to flag ships and the one they sell at Telus is atrocious (I'm returning mine next week). Not many screen protectors either; just picking up the pack of 8 from Amazon and hoping it turns out okay.

Maybe I should have waited for another price drop but given that the OP5T is about 700 dollars right now, I decided to jump ship, especially the Canadian prices are much lower than those by American vendors and I was sick of having to charge my phone multiple times in the day.
Which pack of screen protectors did you get?
Dec 22, 2013
11 posts
Random J&D one off amazon canada. It's one of their top results that have prime shipping. Pack of 8, didn't get the matte (don't like matte). They'll come in next Tuesday; I'll follow up then.
Jan 20, 2012
425 posts
262 upvotes
LONDON
eraddd wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:33 pm

I've actually noticed a lot of case options coming out now for the PH-1, which is making me reconsider the phone (sold my Essential Phone that I got from Black Friday because of this). However, I ordered an S7 Active from the states for a cheap price before this recent drop in price, so I think I'm going to wait and see how that phone treats me before I jump ship to another Essential Phone. After all, the phone price likely isn't going to go up, if anything, it'll keep dropping.

There was an 8 pack of screen protectors on Amazon that I bought for $10.95, under the brand J&D. They were decent for the price.
Please do not PM me with requests for assistance, unless I PM you first, or if I give you permission to. That's what the forums are for!
Dec 22, 2013
11 posts
kellmike626 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:04 pm
I've actually noticed a lot of case options coming out now for the PH-1, which is making me reconsider the phone (sold my Essential Phone that I got from Black Friday because of this). However, I ordered an S7 Active from the states for a cheap price before this recent drop in price, so I think I'm going to wait and see how that phone treats me before I jump ship to another Essential Phone. After all, the phone price likely isn't going to go up, if anything, it'll keep dropping.

There was an 8 pack of screen protectors on Amazon that I bought for $10.95, under the brand J&D. They were decent for the price.
Agreed but I don't think it matches the selection that most flagships have. On Amazon Canada, I think there are 5 different options (each with different colour schemes) that offer Amazon prime shipping.

I was fine with the selection but there are people who may not be. And I'm assuming no new cases will come out after this (since it looks like the essential phone is being dumped ASAP).
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2043 posts
439 upvotes
Vancouver
Just took the plunge and ordered this phone online.

It seems they have fixed the positive tab issue. When I logged in just now, it showed the credits correctly, $100 off online order, plus the $100 positive tab credit on my account, which means the phone comes to $260+taxes. Also it seems they are having a bill credit promo starting today, so I got $50 first bill credit for on tab medium.

In addition, I also changed my basic $45/1gb tab medium plan from a year ago to the new $45/2gb tab medium plan, and I got to keep the bonus data I got a year ago when I transferred from Telus.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6795 posts
181 upvotes
Port Moody
libballeng wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:31 pm

It seems they have fixed the positive tab issue. When I logged in just now, it showed the credits correctly, $100 off online order, plus the $100 positive tab credit on my account, which means the phone comes to $260+taxes. Also it seems they are having a bill credit promo starting today, so I got $50 first bill credit for on tab medium.

In addition, I also changed my basic $45/1gb tab medium plan from a year ago to the new $45/2gb tab medium plan, and I got to keep the bonus data I got a year ago when I transferred from Telus.
thats tight good deal post back with your feedback once you have
Sep 2, 2013
188 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
libballeng wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:31 pm

How did you get your positive credit? call CSR?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2043 posts
439 upvotes
Vancouver
Cisco KId wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:21 pm
thats tight good deal post back with your feedback once you have
The order is still pending, as I put the order through on Saturday. Given that its the long weekend here in bc, I may not see any status update until Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully I get it by this coming Friday, fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2043 posts
439 upvotes
Vancouver
greenhand wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:04 pm
How did you get your positive credit? call CSR?
The positive tab was from last year when I ported from Telus, the channel care rep gave me $100 tab credit because the system screwed my port, it was that crazy promo where everyone was matching the $48/5gb plan that Fido started I think, or was it 6gb, cannot remember.

Wait, I think it was 2 years ago, during November 2016, man time flies!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4245 posts
731 upvotes
would this phone work with FM?
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1957 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, friend is using it on FM and he's been happy with it.
Apr 7, 2007
55 posts
7 upvotes
Just bought white model. Very happy with the phone. No lag on the screen. Excellent reception. Bright screen. Speaker grill seems to be fixed on white model.
Jul 18, 2007
110 posts
122 upvotes
Markham
At this price, is it a worthy upgrade to my one plus one that is starting to crap the bed? I'll use it for years, as long as it's tough enough