• Oct 9th, 2015 4:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
Timbo420 wrote: Not free for local incoming call. Unless people don't care to call you.
ced2334 wrote: And people have no idea who the hell is calling them. Shows up with a strange us number or number unknown on their end.
It's really depends who you're calling. If you have US Google Voice number for your account (you can have one if you have US IP and just google for how to do it) and call anyone in US. They will love it because they could call your US number back and free long distance for them.

If you call them by using your Canada phone number, they will be charge long distance if they call you.

In either case, if everyone using Google Hangout to call then they don't really care as it is able to call North America free any way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
agit wrote: no need to enter the code every time - so if you are logged in just tab on the keypad within the app and dial that is all now your call go t wifi
I asked the question because every time I would enter the app, it would take me to the screen where I had to re-enter my phone number. One time, it said I was logged in but there was an otherwise blank screen. The last time I tried, I had to enter my number again and it said "by invitation only". Anyway, for now I think I'm out of luck.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2458 posts
916 upvotes
Toronto
hlzhang wrote: who cares. I'm using google voice now. It is free to call north america.
+1. Although GV is only US numbers for now. Not sure if this is also free incoming calls over wifi and if you get another 416 number of if you can use your own number.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
X360 wrote: It's really depends who you're calling. If you have US Google Voice number for your account (you can have one if you have US IP and just google for how to do it) and call anyone in US. They will love it because they could call your US number back and free long distance for them.

If you call them by using your Canada phone number, they will be charge long distance if they call you.

In either case, if everyone using Google Hangout to call then they don't really care as it is able to call North America free any way.
Umm no. Unless you get a local number in the area your Amerifriends are calling you from, its long distance for them, too. Local area codes are limited, not anything you choose. Perhaps you meant its a nation wide call, not an international call, but it would still be long distance to 99.9% of the people.
Aug 7, 2014
119 posts
6 upvotes
North York, ON
Just checked the Windows Store for this, nothing but something called "Optik TV" comes up for Telus. Boo.
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
Timbo420 wrote: Umm no. Unless you get a local number in the area your Amerifriends are calling you from, its long distance for them, too. Local area codes are limited, not anything you choose. Perhaps you meant its a nation wide call, not an international call, but it would still be long distance to 99.9% of the people.
Probably on people having home phone will be charged long distance because almost US cellphone plans are nationwide calling... So the 99.9% is an impossible number as you won't see 99.9% people having home phone.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2286 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
X360 wrote: Probably on people having home phone will be charged long distance because almost US cellphone plans are nationwide calling... So the 99.9% is an impossible number as you won't see 99.9% people having home phone.
I don't know why you keep arguing this point. It's STILL long distance, it just might not be charged per minute as such.
Aug 20, 2013
286 posts
73 upvotes
N/A
Well, for starters, you can with Rogers app call anywhere worldwide for free.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Any feedback from any users as to how they like it so far... I just got it up and running late today and I love it so far
Only a few minor things that need to be tweaked that I have found so far
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
When will this be released to everyone?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
shushwap wrote: Any feedback from any users as to how they like it so far... I just got it up and running late today and I love it so far
Only a few minor things that need to be tweaked that I have found so far
Did you get an invite or is this open to everyone now?
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Tried installing, got the code, but then says it's invite only.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
sparkleMister123 wrote: Well, for starters, you can with Rogers app call anywhere worldwide for free.
The Rogers One Number app only lets you call Canadian numbers for free.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Phils wrote: Did you get an invite or is this open to everyone now?
Its not open to the public as of yet... I called in and had them provision my account...
Just a heads up its difficult to get it done... I would just wait it out.. They told me it should be open to the public with in the next month or so
Oct 22, 2012
262 posts
90 upvotes
out east
I just left a reviewsaying I wanted it and someone contacted me and added it to my account. It's pretty neet when you're on Wi-fi it atuomatically connects and lets you do outgoing calls over wi-fi instead of using your minutes. I thought you could receive calls which would have been great since I get called in to have access to my work number. Has worked decently acceot for a few choppy moments.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
dealMig wrote: I just left a reviewsaying I wanted it and someone contacted me and added it to my account. It's pretty neet when you're on Wi-fi it atuomatically connects and lets you do outgoing calls over wi-fi instead of using your minutes. I thought you could receive calls which would have been great since I get called in to have access to my work number. Has worked decently acceot for a few choppy moments.
You can accept incoming calls over wifi
Oct 5, 2002
549 posts
262 upvotes
I got the invite today via text msg. Downloaded android app. Got kicked out a few times. Did not need code. Just followed link on text msg into Web page then unto Play Store and after installation I got a Telus Extend icon on phone. In order for me to make WiFi calls on my Note 4 I have to open the telus extend app. Incoming calls go both to telus extend app and my regular phone app. I don't know which one I am using when I answer the call. Voice quality sounds a bit hollow.
May 4, 2006
540 posts
105 upvotes
gyozaman wrote: I got the invite today via text msg. Downloaded android app. Got kicked out a few times. Did not need code. Just followed link on text msg into Web page then unto Play Store and after installation I got a Telus Extend icon on phone. In order for me to make WiFi calls on my Note 4 I have to open the telus extend app. Incoming calls go both to telus extend app and my regular phone app. I don't know which one I am using when I answer the call. Voice quality sounds a bit hollow.
first couple rings the wifi dialer comes up then goes straight to the phone app.... when i accepted the wifi call it still goes to the phone app so not sure how to receive calls through wifi....
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
Does this app mean you can make free wifi calls?'why would a cellular company do this?
Oct 22, 2012
262 posts
90 upvotes
out east
I got another invite via text message today. I've been using it for a few weeks without any issues. Only oddity is that I get a missed call regardless of how I answer (wifi or phone). I have had a few choppy calls but overall the service seems pretty solid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)