• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2017 11:42 am
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
86 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary

[Telus] Get a free 43' or 49' LG 4K Smart TV w/ 2yr Optik TV + Internet

Not sure how long this deal has been around but im considering getting this deal w/ the 49" since my 2 year plan with Shaw is expiring, here are the details:

Get a free 43" or 49" (extra $100) LG 4K Smart TV when you sign up for a TV & Internet Bundle starting at $103/month on a 2 year term

43" TV (FREE):
MSRP: $899
Model: LG 43UJ6300
3 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 Composite, 1 Optical Digital Audio Output
3840 x 2160 resolution, 4K Ultra HD
1 year manufacturer warranty
Estimated delivery is 2-4 weeks after service installation

49" TV (extra $100)
MSRP: $1099
Model: LG49UJ6300
3 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 Composite, 1 Optical Digital Audio Output
3840 x 2160 resolution, 4K Ultra HD
1 year manufacturer warranty
Estimated delivery is 2-4 weeks after service installation
Thread Summary
AB BC only
11 replies
Jul 29, 2007
622 posts
323 upvotes
North America
A few years ago I took their deal for the new TV or Laptop, or another option, etc... I took their HP Laptop deal as it was the better choice.
After my contract was over, I went with another provider (Shaw) as they had a special going on... and I keep going back and forth...

This is to get better deals and specials, anyways... It is an "OK" deal as you're paying for "everything", the TV/Laptop actually isn't "free".
Option of the FREE Device on 2 year term = $103 *1.12 x 24 = $2768.64 (as a package deal WITH the "FREE" device)

TELUS Student Internet 50+unlimited download+Basic TV = $35+$15+$20 *1.12 x 24 = $1881.60 (package WITH OUT device)
You can buy a similar TV and a similar laptop, plus have money left over to spend on something else.

After that initial purchase/contract, I have not ever gone for these "free deals" after someone pointed it out to me.
Now, I'm paying lesser $ for more devices/services than I had before (Thanks again to RFD for helping me with $).
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
86 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary
i was thinking i would be paying more with shaw minus the free tv as after next month the Internet 150 is going to 100$ and my Personal TV plan is $46 total of $146.

On the other hand ive never heard of Telus Student Internet 50 is that still a thing and is it possible to get on it?

edit: it looks like if i re-sign a 2 year contract with shaw it will be around $1811.712 for so around the same price as your Telus student internet 150 as its (49.90 for year 1 and 84.90 for year 2)
Nov 22, 2016
19 posts
3 upvotes
Leask
I'm looking in to telus right now, if you take the half off your bill you would save more money then what the TV is worth
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10099 posts
2715 upvotes
You would probably save more going in a non contract and negotiating, then a better TV with the same amount of money, than going for this deal and locking yourself in for 2 years
Dec 26, 2012
137 posts
176 upvotes
I bought the 43" recently and its a good TV, looks really nice, although not true HDR and the blacks don't look good. It cost me $699, but I got it tax-free day at Zehrs. The fake hdr really does make a difference though and it amazes me how it looks.
Apr 5, 2003
810 posts
164 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Messerschmitt wrote: You would probably save more going in a non contract and negotiating, then a better TV with the same amount of money, than going for this deal and locking yourself in for 2 years
Will Telus negotiate with you if you're not already a customer? I'd like to sign up for TV and Internet but not at the high prices I see on their website.
Jul 29, 2007
622 posts
323 upvotes
North America
There's a few things here you want to take a look at before going on contract and being locked in for a couple of years.
If you break the contract, the remainder of the contract term needs to be paid off and you're NOT getting any service.

One of my friends had to cancel as they were "moving" to another part of town, they couldn't "transfer" that service.
He basically really couldn't get out of the contract and he ended up having to pay $700 for NO SERVICE.
Stuff happen and apparently they were moving as they "broke up" with their significant other, he moved in with his parents afterwards.

1) Can you buy a cheaper/similar spec TV of the same size? I would search and find a few similar 4K TV's at Costco (VIZIO) brand.
2) Do you want to be on contract? This means, you will be locked in for two years, what if you move or find another deal?
3) The "package" deal you are getting, is it comparable? Do you need internet 150/unlimited DL and ALL the channels?

My suggestion still is to find the right TV for you in the price range you're looking for.
Afterwards, sign up for a service, even a simple package from Shaw or Telus (non contract).
If you really need the extras, see if you can call them up and get them at a better discount.
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Feb 28, 2012
44 posts
13 upvotes
Thank you, OP but it looks like this is only for Alberta and BC.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7638 posts
1402 upvotes
A0958824316 wrote: Thank you, OP but it looks like this is only for Alberta and BC.
If I'm not mistaken, Telus offers TV ONLY in BC and AB.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1299 posts
1114 upvotes
Vancouver
Saltywetguy wrote: There's a few things here you want to take a look at before going on contract and being locked in for a couple of years.
If you break the contract, the remainder of the contract term needs to be paid off and you're NOT getting any service.

One of my friends had to cancel as they were "moving" to another part of town, they couldn't "transfer" that service.
He basically really couldn't get out of the contract and he ended up having to pay $700 for NO SERVICE.
Stuff happen and apparently they were moving as they "broke up" with their significant other, he moved in with his parents afterwards.

1) Can you buy a cheaper/similar spec TV of the same size? I would search and find a few similar 4K TV's at Costco (VIZIO) brand.
2) Do you want to be on contract? This means, you will be locked in for two years, what if you move or find another deal?
3) The "package" deal you are getting, is it comparable? Do you need internet 150/unlimited DL and ALL the channels?

My suggestion still is to find the right TV for you in the price range you're looking for.
Afterwards, sign up for a service, even a simple package from Shaw or Telus (non contract).
If you really need the extras, see if you can call them up and get them at a better discount.
This is mostly correct thank you for this. Just a few things: for most cases you are able to transfer your service as long as where you are moving to has Telus. Also for this case, the only penalty is paying the remaining TV tab if you cancel. But in most cases the price promo is worth about $600-700, so that's my usual recommendation.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1536 posts
960 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone heard of any recent Telus deals for TV only? Potentially interested in switching from Shaw as Telus has more of the channels I watch in HD.