Computers & Electronics

Telus internet - 5 dollar increase (while on contract / service agreement)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 3:46 pm
Feb 26, 2017
616 posts
437 upvotes

Telus internet - 5 dollar increase (while on contract / service agreement)

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm a tad pissed that telus recently upped my bill, even if it was only 5 dollars. I know I'm not the first person in Canada to bitch about telecom's, but would someone kindly explain to me if this nullifies the service agreement, or if I have any recourse whatsoever? what's the point of a contract (SA.. whatever), if they can unilaterally up my bill? Can I cancel?

I actually have a really good plan $55/300up/300down / basic pik (60 bucks now) - but I loathe it when companies do this, good plan or not.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
You probably thought you had a contract in which the price you pay is "of the essence", that is, an essential element of the contract that cannot be changed unilaterally. But no, Telus is pretty sneaky. If you check carefully, you will find that Telus got you to accept a "service agreement", in which you agreed to pay for their services for a fixed period at any price they choose to charge. Your only remedy is to cancel the agreement for a penalty fee.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2839 upvotes
Ottawa
You can technically reject the new price, that's what I did to cancel by Bell's contract but I had to submit a complaint to the CCTS (Bell accepted to end the contract with no fees but still charged me afterwards, when I complained to the CCTS, Bell accepted to waive those fees).

I'm not a lawyer but there is a grey zone which gives you some power to reject those extra fees knowing they weren't mentioned the day you signed the contract.

The way CCTS works is that once you submit a complaint to them, they ll contact your ISP and give them a specific delay to reach an agreement (they have special staff to handle these complaints), if no agreement was reached, CCTS will study the case and takes a decision on the matter.
It isn't guaranteed you'll win but this is your only way of fighting it without having to spend money on court if Telus refuses your request.

Also, if no agreement is reached between the 2 of you and onece the CCTS makes the decision, the case becomes public record (they erase your personal info).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yes, you can cancel without any fees.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
Does your contract agreement guarantee a price for the services, or a discount for the services?
May 29, 2004
559 posts
175 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote: Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm a tad pissed that telus recently upped my bill, even if it was only 5 dollars. I know I'm not the first person in Canada to bitch about telecom's, but would someone kindly explain to me if this nullifies the service agreement, or if I have any recourse whatsoever? what's the point of a contract (SA.. whatever), if they can unilaterally up my bill? Can I cancel?

I actually have a really good plan $55/300up/300down / basic pik (60 bucks now) - but I loathe it when companies do this, good plan or not.
Check your contract whether it state that you can cancel if there is price change during the contract. I have this issue with primus before. they jackup the price while i was still within the 2yrs contract. at first, they told me that there will be early cancellation until i point on that contract states there will be no penalty for cancellation if the price agreed upon got change.

You can also tell that you will file complaint to CRTC as well email to CBC Go Public about it as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Very likely your contract says you have some kind of discount from the regular price. So, if it's normally $100, and you're paying $40, it is likely your contract says something like "$60 off the regular price". So, they just up the regular price, and you go up as well.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.