• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 3:09 am
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton

TELUS Internet Increase

Saw in small print on my bill that my internet is going up $5 next month. These constant $5 increases are ridiculous. I would think that prices should be going down, not up, as the technology is in place. It seems that TELUS is either raising prices or trying to get me to upgrade to a faster speed at a higher cost. I don't see the point of higher speed if I have no issues with streaming.
9 replies
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
When you can't beat them, join them. Hence why I have stocks in Telus and get dividends. If this means I'm seeing an increase, I'm all for it (while I hunt for the best deals)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow, that's a shock. I never imagined that one of Canada's greedy telecom giants would increase prices! Has that ever happened before? :)

More seriously, all the big telecoms do this now, and they have actually increased the frequency from once per year, to twice per year, to three times per year now. Telus is one of the worst because of policies like billing in advance for next month, and writing "Term Service Agreements" that commit customers to pay for their services for a fixed term, while Telus doesn't agree to keep the price fixed.

If you don't like it, go with a 2nd-tier ISP. Most of them are cheaper and they keep their prices fixed for a year.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5644 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like these third party internet providers are stealing most of their customer base so their trying to increase their prices to make up for the lost revenue, some suckers will continue to stay with them and take the hit, while the smart ones will fly off or call them to complain.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: When you can't beat them, join them. Hence why I have stocks in Telus and get dividends. If this means I'm seeing an increase, I'm all for it (while I hunt for the best deals)
Problem is you likely wont see much of an increase. Telus is doing this to keep their revenue projections close due to the simple fact they are losing customers as more and more people are switching off home phone (VoIP) and TV (streaming services). Fact is more and more home are just using internet and not other services. Telus, Shaw, Bell, and Rogers need other ways to make up the difference in revenue. That's why Telus stock price has more or less being stable for a while now. It is a good long term investment with ~4-5% return so its a good choice for investing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: Telus, Shaw, Bell, and Rogers need other ways to make up the difference in revenue.
Not sure about Bell or Shaw, but Rogers (in Ontario) is offering deep discounts to people with 4 services.
Drop one and you'll end up paying about the same or more for 3 services...basically, it's like having a free landline (with North American calling) even though most people never use one anymore.
(or sometimes the savings go deeper)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Feb 1, 2019
323 posts
133 upvotes
Alberta
We used to have Bell before switching to Telus, keep asking us to sign for contracts. The past 2 years internet prices keeps increasing the customer service keeps decreasing. Finally this past Sept Shaw had some promo, Telus guy told me "Shaw Internet is not-secured - it's a community open-system - others can steal your internet use" Is that true? I didn't googled it and signed 2 year deal, he gave me a few credits.

Could all these internet plans & cellphone plans increases are a way for telecom companies to cover up their revenue loss? From what? Ever since CRTC changed the Canadian cellphones from "Locked to Unlock" - phone plans started increasing. Many of the rented modems aren't compatible w/VPN programmed in, so consumers purchased their own modems & wifi extenders.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
To be fair, TELUS is actually spending $$$$$$ on upgrading infrastructure and expanding/installing fibre though. No other providers are really doing it either (at least in BC). Plus it costs them a lot of money to actually connect it to places like condo buildings etc. So maybe it’s not them just wanting a $5 increase from you with nothing to show.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2003
8346 posts
1087 upvotes
Edmonton
starchoice wrote: Saw in small print on my bill that my internet is going up $5 next month. These constant $5 increases are ridiculous. I would think that prices should be going down, not up, as the technology is in place. It seems that TELUS is either raising prices or trying to get me to upgrade to a faster speed at a higher cost. I don't see the point of higher speed if I have no issues with streaming.
Second increase this year alone
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sandy_beach wrote: To be fair, TELUS is actually spending $$$$$$ on upgrading infrastructure and expanding/installing fibre though. No other providers are really doing it either (at least in BC). Plus it costs them a lot of money to actually connect it to places like condo buildings etc. So maybe it’s not them just wanting a $5 increase from you with nothing to show.
If my speed is the same and they up the price, how isn't this nothing to show?