Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Telus Mobility

Telus 4G LTE 5GB/$25 month

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 2:40 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1286 posts
267 upvotes
Aurora, ON

[Telus Mobility] Telus 4G LTE 5GB/$25 month

Deal Link:
Price:
$25
Savings:
0%
Retailer:
Telus Mobility
More offers from Telus Mobility
Telus offers WiFi hotspot dongle that plugs into car's OBDII port. I don't care about the features that the dongle offers, and don't want Telus to track my driving habits, it's none of their business. However, the price offered is decent.

They offer a two-year contract that comes out at $25/month for 5GB of data. $0 activation fee if ordered online.

The dongle comes with what looks like a microSIM card. -

Can someone tell whether it wouldn't be possible to order this deal just for the purpose of using the SIM card in a phone to get 5GB for $25/month on Telus LTE network? I know about the 5GB/$20 on Rogers network deal, but this is Telus and works better in my area. If this works then I can say bye-bye to 10GB BYOD plan for $70 that Telus inflated me into. It will be good enough for me to have Public Mobile $10/month deal for phone calls.

If this is possible then I'd combine this plan together with Public Mobile $10 plan and would take it as a replacement for my 10GB BYOD Telus plan that they inflated to $70/month. I can't seem to find much info about this Telus dongle.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Chances are they locked it to the IMEI of that vehicle tracking device, in order to prevent it from working in a regular phone or tablet.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
2063 posts
733 upvotes
Edmonton
wait so how will you replace your plan with this? will you never leave your car? Or are you saying you can take the microsim from this and put it in your phone.
R U PACKIN HEAT?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
I wonder if one could hack that and just allow it to power like a normal hotspot

Wouldn’t want Telus monitoring my driving habits
Last edited by DealCanuck on Feb 28th, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1286 posts
267 upvotes
Aurora, ON
The dongle comes with a SIM card. I have a dual-SIM phone. Idea is to use second SIM slot in my phone for data services. I know I can do it with my phone as I now have Fido data sim card in it alongside Telus.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1286 posts
267 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Anyway to find out whether this is the case without buying it?

The phone app Telus wants you to use it with this dongle includes a step of scanning IMEI barcode during the setup. I wonder if I can just substitute my phone's IMEI during this initial setup?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
Wait - you are looking to combine this with your PM plan.

$10 for PM plan - 50min/50 text
$25 for this plan - data only - 2 yr contract
Total $35 - and it may not even work if locked to car device

You are only $5 away from getting a full fledge plan from PM with 5GB, unlimited CdaWide talk, unlimited text, no contract. No dual SIM phone required

Not worth it in my books
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pin 16 of the OBDII port is 12V, Pin 4 is ground. Highly doubt the device is gated by any of the other pins.

So you could just get this and wire it to a 12V battery.

Anyone wanna be a guinea pig?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
2063 posts
733 upvotes
Edmonton
spotts01 wrote: Wait - you are looking to combine this with your PM plan.

$10 for PM plan - 50min/50 text
$25 for this plan - data only - 2 yr contract
Total $35 - and it may not even work if locked to car device

You are only $5 away from getting a full fledge plan from PM with 5GB, unlimited CdaWide talk, unlimited text, no contract. No dual SIM phone required

Not worth it in my books
5G at LTE? plus unlimited? where?
R U PACKIN HEAT?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Pin 16 of the OBDII port is 12V, Pin 4 is ground. Highly doubt the device is gated by any of the other pins.

So you could just get this and wire it to a 12V battery.

It is absolutely easy to power a OBDII port externally. I have done it before. Nothing special whatsoever. But then you will have to carry a dongle and battery just to save $10~ per month? Might as well just get the Fido 3GB plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: So you could just get this and wire it to a 12V battery.
I was thinking the same thing.
Not for 2 years I don't.
I'm hoping someone that actually needs something like this would be willing to test both pulling the SIM and wiring it up to a battery.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4016 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
It is a stand alone deal, and you are stuck with the dongle. It is pretty much a hot spot with a battery, you do not need it hooked up to your car to function. So $25 for 5 GB on the Bell/Telus network is not bad. Might be a $35 fee though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
bridonca wrote: It is a stand alone deal, and you are stuck with the dongle. It is pretty much a hot spot with a battery, you do not need it hooked up to your car to function. So $25 for 5 GB on the Bell/Telus network is not bad. Might be a $35 fee though.
$20 on the Rogers network seems better and free calling their app

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/worldli ... #p30610998
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
freewheelin76 wrote: 5G at LTE? plus unlimited? where?
Damn, see that’s the issue. We already had $40/6GB (raised to $45) plans a couple of years ago from Fido on LTE with unlimited calling and now we get excited at the idea of getting 5GB for $40.

I can see 5GB for $35 being worth the effort if I know I won’t be going over the 5GB allotment. Otherwise it doesn’t add up. Plus there’s a contract involved. Con is that it’s a contract and if something better comes along in winter, you miss out. Pro is that you have price protection for two years.

The marketing folks from telus must be cringing while reading through this thread right now. Lol
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Feb 28th, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4016 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
The gadget is a ZTE VM6200. Not sure if there is a battery in it.

EDIT: It does have an internal battery. Still a pain to get charged though.
Last edited by bridonca on Feb 28th, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2392 posts
17564 upvotes
Why is this in "Hot Deals" when OP doesn't even know if this is a valid deal?

TELUS has historically locked IMEIs for similar services (wireless home phone), so there's a 90% chance there's no deal here.
Nov 29, 2016
65 posts
38 upvotes
LarryLat wrote: The dongle comes with a SIM card. I have a dual-SIM phone. Idea is to use second SIM slot in my phone for data services. I know I can do it with my phone as I now have Fido data sim card in it alongside Telus.
I use a portable modem(ZTE rocket hub) from Telus. The sim I got from Telus is locked to the IMEI of the rocket hub. Chance is you can call in to blah blah blah and make them move it to your phone IMEI.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4016 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
Leverage wrote: Why is this in "Hot Deals" when OP doesn't even know if this is a valid deal?

TELUS has historically locked IMEIs for similar services (wireless home phone), so there's a 90% chance there's no deal here.
You are just not thinking of the possibilities. If this can be made into a portable hotspot, this could be useful.

I suspect Telus has a lot of these gadgets sitting in a warehouse, and they needed to attach a palatable plan to move them!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)