Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Newbie
Dec 2, 2016
7 posts
andreid wrote: From my experience, you'd better call TELUS directly at the number on the Hub page than go through a dealer. It was at the P.O. nearly the next day (shipping from Calgary) with the SIM and all activated.
That's the thing. We signed up for the Smart Hub and the 250gb plan through Telus using the number we found on the pamphlet we got in the mail.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
PleaseSaveUsTelus wrote: So my family ordered the ZTE MF275R Smart Hub from Telus on Nov 26th. The agent on the line said there would be a 4 - 6 week wait, before we got our Smart Hub. Anybody know if Telus could speed up this process at all ? Being stuck with our current rural provider for another month is going to be hell on earth. I wonder how many customers are also being subjected to these long wait times. Seems like Telus's new service is sweeping across BC/AB quickly.
I got messaged an ordering code for a TELUS dealer that allows them to be ordered online.....
Member
Jun 11, 2011
488 posts
156 upvotes
Whats the difference between this and xplornet? I got an apartment in a rural area north of Cochrane and we need some decent internet.
Newbie
Sep 5, 2006
92 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
Eyeronik wrote: Whats the difference between this and xplornet? I got an apartment in a rural area north of Cochrane and we need some decent internet.
Xplornet leaves a lot to be desired. I live in rural Quebec, nearly an hour away from Ottawa, and cannot even watch a Youtube video in the evening with Xplornet. Plus, you're paying an arm and a leg for service that harks back to the day of the dial-up. $85 per month for a measly 80 gigs, and that's aside from the fact that you have to rent their modem for $15 a month, bringing the total to well over $100.

Xplornet however is the only game in town in these parts of the woods. It's a shame that Telus has decided to offer this really interesting promo to Alberta and BC; I would jump on it in a flash.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
1390 posts
121 upvotes
Eyeronik wrote: Whats the difference between this and xplornet? I got an apartment in a rural area north of Cochrane and we need some decent internet.
I went from Xplorenet to Telus here just outside of High river, with Xplorenet these where my previous speed tests

.36 DL .79 UP 478 ping
.89 DL .90 UP 167 Ping
.25 DL .89 UP 693 Ping
2.75 DL .99 UP 303 Ping

With TELUS Hub

8.43 DL 2.83 UP 27 Ping
22.03 DL 3.20 UP 20 Ping
16.92 DL 2.9 UP 27 Ping
19.36 DL 2.95 UP 29 Ping

Huge huge difference, One happy Customer, only issue I had was I lost internet on Sat, But it was cause I set my router (R7000 to stop traffic at 249gig) but the counter didn't reset on the Nov 12th like it was suppose too, so I'll be trying again this 12th to reset it up. That way I don't get dinged with overage from TELUS
Member
Jun 11, 2011
488 posts
156 upvotes
mrwinky wrote: I went from Xplorenet to Telus here just outside of High river, with Xplorenet these where my previous speed tests

.36 DL .79 UP 478 ping
.89 DL .90 UP 167 Ping
.25 DL .89 UP 693 Ping
2.75 DL .99 UP 303 Ping

With TELUS Hub

8.43 DL 2.83 UP 27 Ping
22.03 DL 3.20 UP 20 Ping
16.92 DL 2.9 UP 27 Ping
19.36 DL 2.95 UP 29 Ping

Huge huge difference, One happy Customer, only issue I had was I lost internet on Sat, But it was cause I set my router (R7000 to stop traffic at 249gig) but the counter didn't reset on the Nov 12th like it was suppose too, so I'll be trying again this 12th to reset it up. That way I don't get dinged with overage from TELUS
Hmm ok. I looked it up on Xplornet's website and it said LTE25 available where I am. Is this what you have (it doesnt seem like it?). I want to game so those pings look usable (assuming you're pinging calgary). I think we will try this with deal with Telus. Hope its available in that area. It's RR44 North of Cochrane. I've been calling all the cable companies and they all claim there's nothing available in that area for a direct line.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2004
1390 posts
121 upvotes
I was on the WiMAX , they did have LTE, but it was flake in the high river and Oko area. Even if they had it working I would jump ship, if internet goes down ( mine had 4 or 5 times in 2 years it's 3-5 working day window to get a tech out to fix it.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12608 posts
3107 upvotes
VANCOUVER
chiisana wrote: HOLY MOLY! Does it require contract? It is almost worth it to buy the plan only to gut the LTE hub for the SIM card to put into a phone!

Edit: Only for eligible cities, which are all rural areas further out from lower mainland. I should've expected that...
Well, Surrey is pretty rural! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes Winking Face
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2003
2926 posts
409 upvotes
Alberta
Eyeronik wrote: Hmm ok. I looked it up on Xplornet's website and it said LTE25 available where I am. Is this what you have (it doesnt seem like it?). I want to game so those pings look usable (assuming you're pinging calgary). I think we will try this with deal with Telus. Hope its available in that area. It's RR44 North of Cochrane. I've been calling all the cable companies and they all claim there's nothing available in that area for a direct line.
My Xplornet speeds were the same as Eyeronik's and I had LTE 25.

You'll get 6-7mbps at 10am and 1mbps in the evenings, at best, with Xplornet.
Member
Jun 11, 2011
488 posts
156 upvotes
scouzer wrote: My Xplornet speeds were the same as Eyeronik's and I had LTE 25.

You'll get 6-7mbps at 10am and 1mbps in the evenings, at best, with Xplornet.
Ouch! That's pretty garbage. Sounds like Telus is the way to go! Thanks!
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2009
734 posts
611 upvotes
Vancouver
adamtheman wrote: I have xplornet at my cabin in a rural area. Unfortunately there's no internet there and I am forced to use xplornet at the cabin which is awful. There is a Telus cell phone / LTE about a 10 minute drive away. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any way to get that Telus LTE at my cabin? I am willing to spend quite a bit of money to do it. I'd even build a 100' tower if I needed to, and put a yagi antenna or whatever on. I've read up a bit about it, but I still don't have the technological expertise in this type of situation when it comes to LTE signals. The little community I am in actually pays a lot for internet. Everyone pays like $70 a month for 50gb of crap xplornet. So if I could get something like this it could service 10 houses all sharing it with 50gb each theoretically, saving a lot per month for everyone. Wouldn't take much to setup 10 accounts on a router with 50gb bandwidth per account or something like that. So that's why I don't mind paying, say, $5,000 to set this up if I needed to. Any ideas?
If you have good line of sight between the points, you can look into a point to point bridge like a Ubiquiti Nanobridge M. They're rated for 30km+ but this is line of sight. They'll probably work with trees in the way for a mile or two though. You will need a bridge and separate router at each location but each bridge isn't too expensive...

More info https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobridgem/
Member
Oct 12, 2006
316 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
Anyone know if the Telus deal offers a static IP for addtional cost?
Newbie
Dec 2, 2016
7 posts
Could someone in short maybe explain how the Telus Smart Hub technology actually works ? We live about 5 - 10 minutes from the nearest Telus phone tower and we live in a fairly open spot with fields and some forest. Wondering how reliable getting a signal is without any sort of external antenna on the roof. Could a Smart Hub in the upstairs living room get a good signal without an antenna ? I know it depends on the location of the house ect, but just like to get some clarity on how all this works. The technology seems largely different then you're standard wireless wifi router/antenna.

Thank you !
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2003
2926 posts
409 upvotes
Alberta
PleaseSaveUsTelus wrote: Could someone in short maybe explain how the Telus Smart Hub technology actually works ? We live about 5 - 10 minutes from the nearest Telus phone tower and we live in a fairly open spot with fields and some forest. Wondering how reliable getting a signal is without any sort of external antenna on the roof. Could a Smart Hub in the upstairs living room get a good signal without an antenna ? I know it depends on the location of the house ect, but just like to get some clarity on how all this works. The technology seems largely different then you're standard wireless wifi router/antenna.

Thank you !
You're over complicating this. Do you get Telus LTE signal with your phone? Then your hub would too. That's it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2138 posts
448 upvotes
scouzer wrote: You're over complicating this. Do you get Telus LTE signal with your phone? Then your hub would too. That's it.
That's all there is to say about the Smart Hub.

On my device, there are two bars only but then the tower is two hills away and about a 6km drive. I don't have a line of sight of it.
I wonder if adding an external antenna on the rooftop or so would help. These people never answered my query but they have quite a few external antennas. Does anyone have any experience about the usefulness those antennas?

Top