Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 12:21 am
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
andreid wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 11:39 pm
That's all there is to say about the Smart Hub.

On my device, there are two bars only but then the tower is two hills away and about a 6km drive. I don't have a line of sight of it.
I wonder if adding an external antenna on the rooftop or so would help. These people never answered my query but they have quite a few external antennas. Does anyone have any experience about the usefulness those antennas?
External antennas work great for the Smart hub
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
rob1 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:21 am
Anyone know if the Telus deal offers a static IP for addtional cost?
Those are typically only offered on business accounts. This is A consumer offer
Mar 14, 2006
28 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Has anyone been able to get this deal without getting a new hub? I ask because I used to be a Telus customer but switched to Rogers a little more than a year ago. I still have the smart hub from back then and would like to use it instead of getting a new one. No contract without buying a hub.

I called last night and was told that it was not possible. I'll call some more to ask different agents, but just wondering if anyone has done this?
Mar 28, 2015
170 posts
37 upvotes
Rural AB
U4LIFE wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 12:47 am
My iPhone 7 and telus smart hub get basically same speeds on speedtest.

Antenna does help improve signal quality and speeds in bad areas.

We use this:

https://store.weboost.ca/products/connect-4g

Works very well.
Sounds like a good product but the $849.00 maybe a deal breaker
I currently use the telus smart hub and its does drop signal/or drop speeds to 1mbps now and again rebooting does reconnect the signal most times but also considering booster/antenna options
anyone with any experience using the huawei B890 with an external antenna
Dec 2, 2016
7 posts
Called Telus again and they told us likely till the end of the month or even the start of 2017 before we get our ZTE Smarthub. We ordered it back in Nov on the 26th. Unreal. I live 20 minutes SE of Edmonton. All the Smarthubs in the cities have been recalled and even in Red Deer and other small towns. So buying one locally seems to be no bueno.
Nov 12, 2016
21 posts
14 upvotes
rob1 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:21 am
Anyone know if the Telus deal offers a static IP for addtional cost?
I think you have to have a business account, and it was a $15/mo fee (when I had it like 5 years ago).
Koodo | Fido | Public Mobile Customer
Nov 12, 2016
21 posts
14 upvotes
rob1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 10:11 am
Hope they bring this to Ontario !!!

Come on Telus!

This is for TELUS home area for their landline service where their ADSL/VDSL service isn't available. In Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised if BELL starts offering something similar.
I think it's because of a CRTC mandate forcing ISPs to provide ALL CANADIANS access to high speed internet (min 5Mbps/1Mbps).
This is cheaper for TELUS than running fiber to remote areas in the mountains of BC and remote areas of AB.
Koodo | Fido | Public Mobile Customer
Oct 12, 2006
315 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
Hmm,

According to the CRTC site it was suppost to be done by the end of 2015 - we are almsot into 2017 and I still do not have this Telus type offer from Bell or Rogers in my area (just north of Alliston, Ont - Anyone at the CRTC following up on what they are mandating:

SOURCE: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/performance.htm

How fast is fast? A broadband target speed
The CRTC recognizes that a well-developed broadband infrastructure is essential to help Canadians participate in the digital economy.

As a result, the CRTC has set a target speed for broadband Internet access across Canada (Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291). By the end of 2015, the CRTC expects all Canadians to have access to broadband speeds of at least:

5 Mbps for downloads (data that consumers are receiving from the Internet, including files, web sites, pictures, music, and movies)
1 Mbps for uploads (data that consumers are sending to the Internet)
The CRTC expects this target will be met through a combination of private investments, government funding and public-private partnerships.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1038 posts
595 upvotes
AB
rob1 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 2:44 pm
Hmm,

According to the CRTC site it was suppost to be done by the end of 2015 - we are almsot into 2017 and I still do not have this Telus type offer from Bell or Rogers in my area (just north of Alliston, Ont - Anyone at the CRTC following up on what they are mandating:

SOURCE: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/performance.htm

How fast is fast? A broadband target speed
The CRTC recognizes that a well-developed broadband infrastructure is essential to help Canadians participate in the digital economy.

As a result, the CRTC has set a target speed for broadband Internet access across Canada (Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-291). By the end of 2015, the CRTC expects all Canadians to have access to broadband speeds of at least:

5 Mbps for downloads (data that consumers are receiving from the Internet, including files, web sites, pictures, music, and movies)
1 Mbps for uploads (data that consumers are sending to the Internet)
The CRTC expects this target will be met through a combination of private investments, government funding and public-private partnerships.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't mention how much data the telecoms have too offer. Technically bell/rogers/telus have had smarthub and mobile stick plans accessible to most Canadians for many years that met this performance benchmark.

Example my family prior to this plan survived with the telus connect 33 plan since 2010.. aka 5gb for $33, with $10 per 1gb overages. Speeds have nearly always met that performance benchmark that he crtc is saying.

I don't know what prompted telus to push such nice aggressive plans to rural communities, but I hope it's a precursor to bigger data buckets for less money for all.
Oct 12, 2006
315 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
You are correct - CRTC only mentions SPEED not Data Volumes. A MAJOR oversight once again by the CRTC.

I.E. LTE speeds hit 25 MB/s but if your data cap is 10 Gigs a month for $75.00 - watch out!!!

Cheers
Nov 18, 2004
49 posts
70 upvotes
would this work on a boat? i work on a boat on the bc coast we get lte and it is in the areas covered. we do travel 100 miles from what would be the base town.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2926 posts
409 upvotes
Alberta
peanut wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:42 pm
would this work on a boat? i work on a boat on the bc coast we get lte and it is in the areas covered. we do travel 100 miles from what would be the base town.
Maybe. Try it and return it if it doesn't. I use mine about 20km from the stated address with no issues, but I have not tried further.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3920 posts
298 upvotes
BC
PleaseSaveUsTelus wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:57 am
Called Telus again and they told us likely till the end of the month or even the start of 2017 before we get our ZTE Smarthub. We ordered it back in Nov on the 26th. Unreal. I live 20 minutes SE of Edmonton. All the Smarthubs in the cities have been recalled and even in Red Deer and other small towns. So buying one locally seems to be no bueno.
I have been told they should be shipped to certain stores by next week. Where did you order it from?
Dec 2, 2016
7 posts
good deal bc wrote:
Dec 15th, 2016 1:16 am
I have been told they should be shipped to certain stores by next week. Where did you order it from?
Ordered my Smarthub directly from Telus using the number given on the brochure. The same pamphlet people have been getting in the mail recently such as the one the OP posted.